I appreciate that the PNWHC gave me a lot of learning opportunities during my placement. I enjoyed attending monthly members meetings hosted by Community Service Council (CSC), and Manawatu Abuse Intervention Network (MAIN) because I was able to meet social workers and key workers from a wide range of social and community service agencies in Palmerston North. Listening to these workers’ experiences in supporting their clients gave me a general insight into what services are available from each agencies and how they contribute their resources and work together to increase the awareness of welfare issues within the community. Workshops about the LGBTI+ community hosted by Rainbow Youth and MidCentral DHB were also eye opening for me, as I had not had much experience working with the LGPTI+ clients and relevant groups in the community. I believe that these meetings and workshops enabled me to enrich my knowledge of the community and social issues related to the community including the LGBTI+ and minority ethnic groups.
These learning opportunities also encouraged me to create a list of social and community services and relevant places in Palmerston North so that I can physically find and visit services while introducing the PNWHC services to them. I am satisfied that I managed to visit most of the services at Hancock Community House, major tertiary institutions, city libraries, and some places including cafés and hairdressers where many women visit and that I was able to contribute my efforts to promote the PNWHC services to more services and people in the community. However, I could have visited more places if I had started networking earlier and organised my wee...
... middle of paper ...
...assured me how I interact with them was appropriate. Furthermore, my placement at the PNWHC allowed me to see how conflicts within the PWHC members were resolved by the collective way. Based on what I have learnt from my placement at the PNWHC, I would like to continue using a strength-based approach and learning different approaches and techniques from experienced practitioners when I do my second placement in the near future. I would also like to improve my communication skills in order to become a reliable social worker in my field of interest, mental health. Furthermore, towards the end of my placement, I realised the importance of having holistic self-care as the helping profession could be emotionally draining. One my goals would be to improve my physical as well as psychological wellbeing by monitoring my eating, sleeping cycles, daily exercises, and so on.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Social networking services (SNSs) refer to the platforms that build social networks or social relations among people who share interests, activities, backgrounds or real-life connections (“social networking service”, Wiki). Those services become so popular nowadays to enable people to connect with friends and share information quickly. The early potential form of social networking is the computer-mediated interactions, like the service of Usenet and BBS. Then the generalized online communities started to show some feature functions of SNS—grouping people into chatting room and share personal information.... [tags: Social network service, Facebook, MySpace]
1727 words (4.9 pages)
- For years and years, the internet has been offering a very extensive variety of information, social networking sites, merchandise purchases, online banking and many other services that our grandparents and our great grandparents could only dream of. This doesn’t mean that it’s all good or useful information and sites. Neither does it mean it hasn’t had a huge impact on the way society is changing just because it is a virtual space. “The internet is home to millions of sites, representing both commerce and the people who share their thoughts and experiences with anyone who visits” (Amp Your MySpace Page 99) The webpages that have had much more impact on society are social networking sites suc... [tags: Social Networking, community, ]
810 words (2.3 pages)
- Various social networking services have achieved enormous success at the first decade of the 21st century. Up to 2010, more than 500 million users globally have been regularly using Facebook (Kirkpatrick, 2010, 2). For this purpose in this essay, social networking site is defined as an online platform where socially related users can communicate and share information with each other, such as Facebook, Twitter, Myspace and Renren. It has long been a question that whether these services brought more benefits than negative effect to the community.... [tags: Facebook, marketing tool, Twitter, social media]
1019 words (2.9 pages)
- The participants and audience for SNSs is growing rapidly. Statistics published become quickly out dated and it is interesting to observe both the international and national trends of Internet usage generally over the years, as well as those specific to the use of Social Networking Sites. Access to technology has become an integral part of education, socialisation and industry related requirements, and accordingly Internet usage is evolving and growing rapidly. A survey conducted by the Australian Bureau of Statics in 2003 found that in the 12 months prior to April 2003, 95% of Australian children, aged between five and fourteen years had used a computer.... [tags: Social Networking ]
1497 words (4.3 pages)
- Changing and ever evolving, technology has impacted everybody’s lives in an irrevocable manner . Beginning in 2003 with MySpace, social networking is one aspect that has completely revolutionized people’s everyday lives. The empire created by MySpace was then further expanded by a new generation of social networks such as Facebook and Twitter. This era was marked with innovative new features including video chat and increased commercialization of businesses, leading to increased popularity and growth which is intangible.... [tags: Social Media, MySpace, Facebook]
952 words (2.7 pages)
- A social networking service is a commonly used device that can connect individuals widely on an internet based medium. In today’s society social media is used daily; with features such as instant messaging and posting pictures or statuses of ideas, thoughts, or stories that one thinks of throughout the day. These sites are used by a vast amount of people; including all different age groups, ethnicities, genders, and social statuses. A few of the main characteristics that they contain is building a list of people who you want to see your posts, these lists can be called, but are not limited to: friends, followers, or your network.... [tags: facebook, tumblr, twitter, social media]
1363 words (3.9 pages)
- In the past six weeks, I have engaged and initiated with a Facebook sub group community, a social networking services in the virtual community. In this paper, I would focus on the sub group that I have established and involved in Facebook. I argue that limitation on interactivity would hinder the development of strong ties, but using social media to communicate and interact with others through cyberspace, such as Facebook group that have the potential to create a vast vigorous, diverse community.... [tags: Sociology, Social network service, Facebook]
1480 words (4.2 pages)
- The Negative Effects of Social Networking The internet has a vast amount of websites. Social media is a big part of the internet with websites like Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. There are positive effects to social networking from meeting people to staying connected with current events. However, there can be negative effects to social networking as well. Karen Frazier provides a well supported argument on how social media can have negative and long term consequences. Frazier is a public relations specialist and posted her article on October 2011.... [tags: Social network service]
1206 words (3.4 pages)
- Social Networking Sites Social networking sites, also known as social networking services, are the online platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube that people use to connect with each other. Over the past ten years, with the technological development, social media have grown sharply. To illustrate the popularity of social networking sites, Newton Lee, an expert in computer science, stated that if Facebook was considered as a country, it would be a nation having the third largest population in the world, after China and India, with over 995 million citizens in 2012 (xiii).... [tags: Communication, Sociology, Social network service]
1503 words (4.3 pages)
- Social Networking sites The statistic shows that over three forth of the US population spend over 121.8 billion minutes on social networking monthly including educators and the younger generation are emerging in the digital age (The Statistics Portal, 2015). In other words, social media sites play an essential role in the dynamic environment, including entertaining, informative and statistic research, and communication. Moreover, social media has increasingly attracted not only teenagers but also adults.... [tags: Facebook, Social network service, LinkedIn]
1295 words (3.7 pages)