Any network is vulnerable at its weakest point and perpetrators will try to get in any way that they can. Some just to see if they can and others for manipulated personal gain. Security measures, policy and procedures are written and tailored to meet the specific needs of an organization. Security tools are installed on networks to keep out cyber criminals.
Vulnerability is a weakness in a security system. A threat is a set of circumstances that has the potential to cause loss or harm. How do we address the problems of threats and vulnerabilities? We use control as a defensive method. Control is an action, device, procedure, or technique that removes or reduces vulnerability. (Pfleeger & Pfleeger, 2007)It is essential to have adequately qualified IT personnel on the security team to properly monitor the network’s activity log because this log records the activities occurring in an organization’s systems and on its networks.
It is important that the Information Security Officer (ISO) ensures that every person on the security team is educated and accurately trained in security measures, policies and procedures in addition to making sure that each individual knows their role and what steps to take in case the network is compromised. Time is of the essence and could possibly be the life line of a company when its network is being attacked.
Steve Forrester, Vice-President of Sales at Jacket-X reconnected his company laptop to the corporate local area network (LAN) without being subsequent to the company’s policy; the Intrusion Detection System (IDS) alerted the ISO Jack Wilson that a malicious worm was attacking the server. The worm immediately ex...
... middle of paper ...
...rity and a resigning of the policy letter. It is everyone’s responsibility to keep the system’s network as secure as possible.
Geier, J. (2005). Wireless network first-step. Indianapolis, IN: Cisco Press
Goodric, M., & Tamassia, R. (2010). Introduction to computer
security, (1st ed.). Canada: Addison Wesley
Pfleeger, C.P., & Plfeeger, S.L. (2007). Security in computing,
(4th ed.). saddle River, NJ: Pearson Education, Inc.
Kent, K.,& Souppa, M. (September 2006). Guide to computer
security log management. Retrieved from http://csrc.nist.gov/publications/nistpubs/800-92/SP800-92.pdf
The vulnerability of organizational networks and the internet.
CSEC 610 9041 online classroom, achieved at: http://webtyco.umuc.edu
Information systems infrastructure. CSEC 610 9041 online
classroom, achieved at: http://webtyco.umuc.edu
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Network Security Installing firewall or anti-virus software on enterprise workstations can help prevent some of the security problems the Internet can cause; but not everything. By understanding the different Open Systems Interconnect (OSI) levels and security threats involved with each one of them, it is easier to plan a strategy to combat security problems. Purpose and Scope To cover all areas I have listed the network security measures that are associated with each level of the Open Systems Interconnect (OSI).... [tags: Security Network Technology]
980 words (2.8 pages)
- http://forums.iobit.com/forum/iobit-security-software/iobit-security-softwares-general-discussions/other-security-discussions/15251-28-types-of-computer-security-threats-and-risA specialized field in computer system security that involves securing a computer system hardware and software. Security is typically handled by a system administrator who implements the security policy, network software and hardware needed to protect a system and the resources accessed through the network from unauthorized access and also ensure that employees have adequate access to resources.... [tags: Computer security, Internet, Password]
1140 words (3.3 pages)
- Networking is a norm in many corporate based institutions in modern society. Computerized applications, software and communication has been greatly deployed to foster service delivery in the organizations. Despite the many merits tied to networking, it poses some threats that can proof costly if not handled professionally. Good news is that there are measures that can be adopted to form a robust computer network system that will ensure minimal or no intrusion by any assailants. This paper seeks to explore a number of factors indicative of weak computer networking system, and various measures to plan and enable stern security.... [tags: cyber crime, cyber security]
2848 words (8.1 pages)
- Network security is as important as securing your own home. There are networks all around us and large or small businesses all rely on their computer network to keep running smooth. Network security is not as easy an issue as it sounds. There are many technicalities involved especially when your network is the backbone of your business. Increment in the number of networks brings with it new and lethal security threats. All the important information circulates through your network thus the network security is of paramount importance.... [tags: internet, theft, protection]
770 words (2.2 pages)
- intoduction Network security is a set of different measures which are designed to protect networks from attacks and unauthorised access. Network protection is provided in two type software and hardware. Treats to huge corporation networks nowadays are constantly growing, they spreading in increasing speed, and their destructive capabilities are increasing every day. If we look on the list of threads what may harm the corporate network, it becomes clear that nowadays trend is multifunctional devices used to protect from most of the corporate treats (viruses, worms, Trojans, DOS-attacks, spam, data leaks, and etc.) In this assignment I going to choose two network security software tools expl... [tags: Snort, Honeyd]
1339 words (3.8 pages)
- Physical Security Physical security could be thought of as a very important piece of security. Just because you apply many different policies to have a lockdown on the software environment, it doesn’t mean that people are not able to just go in and inflict damage upon your network. Physical security is the measures to prevent or deter attackers from trying to gain access into the facility. With FTD Enterprises they have none to barely any physical security in place. The most security that they have is a locked door, which is also seen to be open during the night.... [tags: Security]
662 words (1.9 pages)
- User authentication by one of its many definitions is “a process that allows a device to verify the identity of someone who connects to a network resource” . There are a number of methods set in place for Windows 7 to authenticate users. Authentication protocols, setting up strong passwords, implementing multi-factor authentication and biometrics are all examples of methods that Windows 7 implements. Unfortunately, with any security measure comes a security threat. Some protocols on Windows system have vulnerabilities within them that compromise their effectiveness.... [tags: Authentication, Password, Security token]
2398 words (6.9 pages)
- Network Security Network security is a problem that network administrators face. It is something that network administrators should keep a careful eye on. For example, if the home network does not have any security measures in place, then the person is at a high risk of data loss due to hacking. Network security is something that businesses do not take very lightly because they want to protect their valuable information and network resources from hackers. It is a problem because of unauthorized use and can be resolved by increasing the security encryption levels.... [tags: Technology, Computers ]
1230 words (3.5 pages)
- Network security is a problem that network administrators face because it is something that everyone should keep a careful eye on. For example, if your home network does not have any security measures in place, then you are at a high risk of data loss due to hacking. Network security is something that businesses do not take very lightly, because they want to protect their valuable information and network resources from hackers. Network security is a problem because of unauthorized use and can be resolved by increasing the security encryption levels.... [tags: Information Technology]
1222 words (3.5 pages)
- ... External Security While having keyed entry so only employees have access is a good practice and current access to the server room is adequate overall physical security can be enhanced by implementing an access control system that is centrally manageable and provides logging of access attempts. A number of building security solutions are on the market that make use of magnetic key cards and card readers that are controlled by a central management and logging system. This allows the organization to easily control access to the whole or parts of the facility while logging access attempts for security audits.... [tags: internet safety, spyware, viruses]
1220 words (3.5 pages)
- Applied Pharmacology
- Cash Basis Accounting Versus Accrual Accounting Method: Matching and Revenue Recognition Principles.
- Meeting the Needs of Students With Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder
- Reading The Book of Revelation
- China's One Child Policy
- A Case Study of Toyota Motor Company’s Strategic Implementation Factors and how they affect the Company’s Operations.