The definition of “nature” and “nurture” is slowly becoming misleading and leading people away from what is relevant or important, as there have been very few studies that have determined strongly as solely nature or nurture (Persell & Young, 2000, p. 220). Before the Human Genome Project in 2003 was completed, it was accepted that it was no longer nature versus nurture, but instead it has become nature and nurture. Our DNA and environmental exposure rarely works independently, but rather influences each other. There have been studies that have shown that genetic factors influence with environmental factors such as parenting, stress, or social support. It is reasonable to say that associations between environmental and behavioural measures are combined genetically. It is interesting to know that our genes often requires certain environmental experiences at certain times in order to work (Howard & Walton, 2015, p. 5). Eric Turkhelmer indicates in his own words that the debate is over and “the bottom line is that e...
... middle of paper ...
Howard, S & Walton, R, 2015, Educational Psychology, David Barlow Publishing, Macksville.
Plomin, R & Walker, SO 2006, ‘Nature, Nurture, and Perceptions of the Classroom Environment as They Relate to Teacher-Assessed Academic Achievement: A twin study of nine-year-olds’, Educational Psychology, vol. 26, no. 4, pp. 541-561
Plomin, R & Walker, SO 2005, ‘The Nature-Nurture Question: Teachers’ perception of how genes and the environment influence educationally relevant behaviour’, Educational Psychology, vol. 25, no. 5, pp. 509-516
Purcell, R & Young, J 2000, ‘On the Evolution of Misunderstandings about Evolutionary Psychology’, Annals of the New York Academy of Science, vol. 907, no. 1, pp. 218-223
Weinberg, RA 2007, ‘Beyond Nature-Nurture’, Monographs of the Society for Research in Child Development, vol. 72, no. 3, pp. 145-149
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Distinction Nature and nurture in childhood: physical development The study of nature development refers to the inherited characteristics and tendencies, these are genetic, and these which are inherited help influence the development through childhood. Some inherited characteristics appear in virtually everyone, For instance, almost all children have the capacity to learn to walk, understand language, imitate others, use simple tools, and draw inferences about how other people view the world. The coding of genes in each cell determine the different traits which we have, more dominantly on the physical attributes like eye colour, hair colour, ear size, height, and other traits.... [tags: Nature versus nurture, Human nature]
2136 words (6.1 pages)
- The nature versus nurture debate is an old issue within the field of psychology. “The nature-nurture issue is a perennial one that has resurfaced in current psychiatry as a series of debates on the role that genes (DNA) and environments play in the etiology and pathophysiology of mental disorders” (Schaffner) The debate is essentially about what is inherited (nature) and what is experienced by environmental factors (nurture) and how they affect human development. Naturally, the nature versus nurture debate relates to many controversies such as intelligence, gender identities, violent behaviors, and sexual orientation.... [tags: Nature vs. Nurture Essays]
1390 words (4 pages)
- In today’s society people tend to be followers. People wear things or do things that they see others do, not knowing that everyone is born their own person. Things that make people unique and different from others is what makes them stand out. That leads me to introduce the topics to this paper. From nature-nurture, Bronfenbenner’s ecological system, and overall our culture is what makes us humans. Going through certain phases and transtions in life helps us to define ourselves over time. After reading this paper, it would give you a better understanding of my life and who I am as a person.... [tags: Nature versus nurture, Human nature]
1393 words (4 pages)
- Nature vs Nurture Have you ever wondered why you are the way you are. What makes you brave or shy. For many years, psychologists have been discussing if your genetics or your surroundings are more important to determine personalities. The debate of nature versus nurture is an enduring controversy that has survived through the ages. Many experiments, studies, and discussions have attempted in vain to determine whether biology or environment can be attributed to the way a person has developed. There are two theories about human development that explain how heredity and environment affect an individual.... [tags: Nature versus nurture, Human nature]
1001 words (2.9 pages)
- The debate between nature and nurture seems like an ongoing process. The term nature in this case refers to the biological and family factors whereas nurture refers to the social and environmental factors. I think that our personality and development are influenced by both sides. It is almost impossible to differentiate between these two influences, there isn’t really a good way of telling how much we are influence genetically and how much we are influence environmentally. Certain physical characteristics, such as eye color, hair type, and diseases are biologically determined by genetic inheritance.... [tags: Psychology, Nature versus nurture, Biology]
776 words (2.2 pages)
- Scientists and biologist have argued the Nature versus Nurture debate for decades. This debate is about the degree to which our environment and heredity, affects our behavior and developmental stages. According to this debate, nature can be described as, the behavior of a person is occurring because of their genetic makeup. Since the behavior of a person is due to their genetic makeup, then, it (nature) should also influence a person’s growth and development for the duration of their life. However, the nurture side of the debate says, the cause for an individual’s behavior is because of environmental factors.... [tags: Nature vs. Nurture Essays]
1744 words (5 pages)
- In trying to understand human behavior, professionals for centuries have looked at the nature vs. nurture theory. While it is known that the physical traits such of eye or hair color have to do with nature, some strongly believe that genes play a part in the way we behave such as in personality and intelligence and others believe that we behave a certain way solely due to our environment. Professor Jerome Kagan, from Harvard opened up a brand new world and offers a deeper understanding for the way we behave.... [tags: nature vs nurture, child development]
1006 words (2.9 pages)
- The human mind is an endless, vast field scientists have explored for years and will continue to explore for centuries to come. This complex machine has interested people for years, and has indeed sparked many controversies. One of which happens to be the nature vs. nurture conflict, which argues whether a specific behavior in a human is passed from generation to generation via genetics, or rather taken in over the course of the person’s life. The nature take on things believes in heredity, predisposition, and instinct forming human behaviors.... [tags: Psychology, Nature versus nurture, Human behavior]
1218 words (3.5 pages)
- SEPARATED TWINS The nature vs. nurture debate is the philosophical and scientific argument about whether human behavior and personality is a product of nature or nurture. In this debate, nature is often referred to as hereditary or hormone-based behaviors, while nurture is defined in terms of environment and experience. Twin studies have been a vital part of this debate because of the exceptional genetic similarities between twin siblings. It has been proven that nature and genetics plays an important role in development of some mental health conditions, such as bipolar, major depression and schizophrenia.... [tags: Nature versus nurture, Twin study, Human behavior]
935 words (2.7 pages)
- Introduction There has been constant debate between scientists about the influence of the environment on children. The other philosophy is what of the influence of environment over nature. This debate has raged for decades. Current scientists are no closer to ending the debate. Physical Appearance: Nature: Physical appearance is determined by genetics. The chromosomes from our mother and father combine to create an individual with their own set of genes. These genes determine height, weight, skin color, and hair color and eye color.... [tags: Science Nature Nurture Essays Compare]
471 words (1.3 pages)