Nanoindenter is basically used for securing the mechanical characteristics or properties at micro or nano-scale with the help of powerful technology known as Nanoindentation which is utilized for securing the parameters of material for example hardness, elastic modulus, viscous or plastic parameters with the help of experimental readings of penetration depth and indenter load.
It must be note down that forces, those are involved, are normally in the range of micro newton or mili newton and depth will also be in the range of nanometers.
It must be recalled that Very little volume of material having order of about several tens of nanometers might be determined with the only tip of nanoindenter and characteristics of material might be determined for example a very small piece of material.
If we consider in case of a conventional method of indentation testing, micro or macro indentation, there will be hard tip and mechanical characteristics of this hard tip will be known (normally constructed by such a material whose hardness will be higher for example diamond) and this hard tip will be pressed into a such a work piece whose mechanical characteristics are unknown. The load which is placed over the tip of indenter will be enhanced when the tip of indenter penetrates more into the work piece and very soon it will achieve user demand value.
H, is hardness
P max – maximum load
Ar – Area of Residual indentation
This technology was associated with some drawbacks. This technology utilizes varied and large tip- shape along with indenter rigs and this indenter ring doesn’t have suitable spatial resolution or we may say that the exact location of the area where indentation will be carried out is ver...
... middle of paper ...
...nd as well as tribological characteristic of thin coated- systems & advanced materials in a area or field where stiffness and hardness play vital role.
• The pendulum system has only advantages of reliability scratch testing. Scratching occurs in high stiffness direction for pivot and direct
• Nanoindenter is basically used for securing the mechanical characteristics or properties at micro or nano-scale with the help of powerful technology
• W.C. Oliver and G.M. Pharr (2011). "Measurement of hardness and elastic modulus by instrumented indentation
• Anthony C. Fischer-Cripps, Nanoindentation, Springer-Verlag GmbH, 2002
• Lambert M. Surhone, Miriam T. Timpledon and Susan F. Marseken, Nanoindentation, VDM Publishing, 11-Aug-2010.
• Jiri nemeck , nanoindentation, Faculty of Civil Engineering, Department of Mechanics, Czech Technical University in Prague
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- What does mean Nanoindentation. Nanoindenter is basically used for securing the mechanical characteristics or properties at micro or nano-scale with the help of powerful technology known as Nanoindentation. Nanoindentation is utilized for securing the parameters of material for example hardness (H), elastic modulus (Es), viscous or plastic parameters with the help of experimental readings of penetration (h) and indenter load (P). It must be note down that forces, those are involved, are normally in the range of micro-newton or mili-newton and depth will also be in the range of nanometers.... [tags: materials, nanoindenter, nano-scale]
1922 words (5.5 pages)
- Portland Cement Association (n.d.) stated that in the simplest form, a blend of paste, stone, sand and water is a concrete. Concrete is one of the fundamental building block of the civilization, contributing to all the structures across the world. Concrete can be viewed in details in term of its constituent materials, properties, durability and concrete mix design and quality control. Constituent materials are the fundamental materials required to produce concrete. The constituent materials of concrete consist of mainly three materials which are cement, aggregate and water, with admixtures included as addictive to alter the characteristics of the concrete (Scalenghe et al., 2011).... [tags: Quality, Constituent Materials]
1067 words (3 pages)
- A milestone of fatigue behaviour in composite materials is due thanks to Kenneth Reifsnider  whom also deeply studied damage development . The phenomenon cannot be described easily as in metals because of the complexity of the internal microstructure. The most important consequence of this complexity lies in the loss of a well-defined damage state, which cannot be considered like a single crack in homogeneous materials. Reifsnider in his introduction highlights the difficulty to define the damage condition in composite.... [tags: Kenneth-Reifsnider, science of materials]
1541 words (4.4 pages)
- Steel: (for all intents and purposes) was invented in 1855 by Henry Bessemer(Mary Bellis). Science the amazing innovation that has changed the world incredible things have been made from the material from bridged cables and cross beams to arresting wires on aircraft carriers that stop monumental force and speed. It is truly an amazing martial, but eventually it snaps, breaks or tears due to the separation of the molecules. Also steel is not the most flexible material there is which may sound good for what it is used for, construction.... [tags: Materials Of The Future]
2119 words (6.1 pages)
- Existing in nature ever since mammals first had teeth and bones, and crabs first carried their shells around on their backs, living hybrid materials have a long history on planet Earth. New innovations in science and technology seek to purposefully mix living materials and nonliving materials, and create objects and substances that are both. In a recent study at MIT, scientists found E. coli to be useful in the production of a biofilm circuit board; moreover, hybrid materials will someday help humans in the areas of architecture, health, and electronics.... [tags: hybrid materials, coli cells, e. coli]
1392 words (4 pages)
- ... The main components of a battery are the electrodes, and the materials used for these electrodes have the greatest impact on the performance of the battery. Therefore, the essential question is: which materials used in the electrodes will yield to the most battery life. The history behind the creation of the lithium-ion battery is as follows. Schalkwijk (2002) provides the reason behind why lithium was the chosen material for the battery, “(i) Lithium has the lightest weight, (ii) It has the highest voltage and (iii) it has the greatest density of all metals”(p.133).... [tags: energy, storage, resources, materials]
1057 words (3 pages)
- Cement mortar is typically the most massive individual material element in the built environment. If the embodied energy of mortar can be reduced without decreasing the performance or increasing the cost, significant environmental and economic benefits may be realized. Cement mortar is primarily comprised of portland cement, aggregates and water. The introduction of nanomaterials or lamellar solids in cement mortars and concrete to improve their mechanical properties has been widely employed in modern concrete technology.... [tags: Concrete, Titanium dioxide, Nanotechnology]
1008 words (2.9 pages)
- ... The water-binding ability of milk produced from a blending process is dependent on the solubility of its constituent parts and the production process. Gelation Cow’s milk is composed of carbohydrates and two main dairy proteins: casein and whey. When milk is coagulated, it automatically divides out the proteins into semi-solid lumps and a liquid portion. Casein is found in the lumps, or curds, whereas the whey protein is found in the liquid portion. As soon as the cocoa powder is mixed with milk, the casein is immediately adsorbed to strengthen the network formation.... [tags: flavor, water biding]
1007 words (2.9 pages)
- A typical hero can be defined as someone who stands up for what is right and is courageous enough to sacrifice themselves for others. A person does not need superpowers to be a hero, but it is their possession of certain characteristics that makes them heroic. Heroes come in many forms and there are many different characteristics to a hero that make them stick out like a thorn. It is these very characteristics that contributes to the hero facing challenges alone, as it is only they who possess them, and the heroes having that ability to do so.... [tags: Hero, Trait, Characteristic, Fairy tale]
881 words (2.5 pages)
- Securing WLAN/LAN Daily security evaluation is done in your network. However, most of the users are not aware who monitors the security of their network. Therefore, most of these users are hoping that the one involved in measuring the effectiveness of your network's defenses is someone whom they trust. Conversely, tremendous evidence reports that you are not the only party questioning your network's perimeter (Safari, 2007). Most of IP addresses received thousands of attack attempts everyday since it can be easily reached from the Internet.... [tags: Internet Security Virus Technology]
950 words (2.7 pages)