In elementary school, books such as Goosebumps and Junie B. Jones were possibly all I ever checked out of the school’s library. I also enjoyed the long readings in my thick elementary textbooks. Small children’s books with few pages did not interest me; I liked the higher grade level books with many chapters. Of course, these larger chaptered books became challenging with larger words and concepts, but I loved the challenge, so I stayed buried deep in a book while I wasn’t busy with school work. Sometimes I would try to use a word without knowing the meaning and it would be a complete failure. For this reason, I had to ask an adult or look up a word in the dictionary in order to understand and learn the word. The more I read, the smarter I began to feel thus increasing my vocabulary. The introductions to new words excited me, and by learning these complex words I felt smarter than my peers. Although the sense of competition assisted in teaching me to read higher than most ...
... middle of paper ...
...alization that all of the reading and writing I’ve done in the years prior really helped me to expand my literacy to higher levels.
As I grow, I rarely look back at the many experiences that shaped some of my literacy habits, because when they were happening I never saw them as milestones. This assignment gave me the chance to reflect on my past literacy experiences and realize that the old children’s books I used to read to the complex pieces of literature that I read now continue to mold my literacy standards. I have also noticed that whenever I doubt my writing, I tend to write some of my best work. I certainly never thought that a 5th-grade writing assessment about butterflies would have had such an impact on my writing in the present. I certainly expect my writing and reading to excel even higher as I embark on the rest of my life if I constantly apply myself.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Original Writing My writing as a poet has been heavily influenced by writers like Langston Hughes, Nikki Giovanni, Alice Walker and Slam poets such as Black Thought and the Last Poets. These writers write and speak about the struggles and uniqueness of Black culture. Their individual experiences and political stances as well as the influences of other artist are evident in their work. For example in Giovanni’s poem “Revolutionary Music” she quotes some of the lyrics from Sam Cooke and James Brown to illustrate her personal views on racism and the equal rights movements.... [tags: Plagiarism Influence Authors Argumentative Essays]
1369 words (3.9 pages)
- Original Writing My parents had gone to my dad’s work’s dinner and dance and my sister had gone to the pub with some friends. I was home alone. I was sitting in the living room watching the cricket on TV, when I got a phone call: it was my sister, I couldn’t understand her and then I hung up, I thought to myself that was a bit weird, but thought nothing of it. She got back about two minutes later, she said “I’ve been in a car crash” she said. She was with two mates, one had been in the car with her and the other had been driving behind her.... [tags: Free Essays]
396 words (1.1 pages)
- Original Writing Krrrriiiinnggg!!!. Ah, the sound of that bell never sounded so blissful on that day. It was time for our so-called sem-break while actually having trimesters. Everyone was so eager to get out of the classroom and go to their pre-planned gimmicks. Some were going to malls, some to their usual hang-out place, and others were itching to play basketball. I thought this break would be a lot of fun and that it would be a very good opportunity for me to catch up on the sleep I have been missing.... [tags: Papers]
451 words (1.3 pages)
- Original Writing The Rink, a place of glory, and defeat, a place of love, and hate. As you walked down the tiled corridor, your foot steps echo back and forth, your breath joins the echoing so the foot steps are not lonely. You are walking across at fast pace but as you go past there is pictures nailed up on the wall showing faces of delight. Looking at these pictures you hear shouting and cheering, it was the caught moment of past glory; it was a picture of you. There in fount of you there is a brass shiny door knob, you place your worn hand on it and as you do there is a white flash.... [tags: Free Essays]
407 words (1.2 pages)
- Original Writing I can't have been more than about 3 at the time. This is the main reason I can't remember much about this particular time. From the snippets I do remember, I shall try to explain to you, my last few days before I had to leave Turkey to come to London. I didn't actually know that this day was going to be different from any other; but when you're 3 you don't actually have much control over what your day will be like so this was pretty much a given. My first memory of the day consists of the daily routines after you get up: washing your face, brushing your teeth.... [tags: Papers]
606 words (1.7 pages)
- Original Writing "A distant howl broke the silence" "Come on, time to go!" I heard Mum shouting. I quickly jumped off my bed and grabbed my green rucksack. On the way out of the bedroom I whipped my baseball off the peg and sat it on my head. Down the stairs I ran and stroked the cat on my way out. It was time to go. I spent the last week packing and unpacking my bag. I was so excited that I couldn't think about anything else. This was finally the day I had been looking forward to for the last two months.... [tags: Papers]
657 words (1.9 pages)
- Original Writing I will be writing a story about an American Family, who has a very intelligent twelve year old child. Who has to undergo an Intelligence test, to see how bright he actually is. After a few hours of waiting, the results return and prove to be conclusive, and, as a result the boy is forced to have his brain removed. And replaced because he is seen as a threat to the future. It is either this, or faces Imprisonment. 'So, it's tomorrow then?', groaned the twelve year old boy.... [tags: Papers]
1240 words (3.5 pages)
- Original Writing Having always been of an inquisitive mind, the complex processes involved in the natural sciences especially fascinate me; which is why I have chosen to study biomedical science for my degree subject. What I enjoy most about the study of living organisms is the ability to study them right down at its cellular level and learning about the endless ways in which factors can affect them in health and disease. The accomplishments gained from simply knowing how cells function make research worthwhile, since the exciting paths encompassing the ideas in cytology can lead to so many beneficial advantages to society, for example in uses such as biotechnolog... [tags: Papers]
553 words (1.6 pages)
- Original Writing A crunch of pebbles as a perfectly crafted square of engineered metal falls to the beach. 5 figures crawl from their vessel onto a dreary beachhead. The rain beat down on a terrible Tuesday night. Silver, a man in his prime of physical fitness, shivered in the cold. Like lambs his men followed him intently, without question. In their minds, however, they were at home. With their wives and girlfriends, away from the war. Too many men have perished on this 2-mile stretch of coastline for man to contemplate, for a war that is yet to be understood.... [tags: Papers]
522 words (1.5 pages)
- Original Writing The tranquil skyline of New York was the setting for my office. I was on the 42nd floor working for the world leading G.H.Martin & Son, the stockbrokers. My office had some of the most beautiful views in the world. You could look out of the window and look at all of the boats in the docks going about their daily business. When I used to stay at work late, you could see the beautiful red sun going down behind the buildings, I could not have wished for anything better.... [tags: Papers]
618 words (1.8 pages)