Greg is definitely a social student and loves group activities where he gets to work with his peers on projects. He attends classes in the sixth grade at Brown PS12 and changes classrooms and teachers throughout his day. His favorite teacher is his Language Arts teacher, which is not his favorite subject. He does not mind Language arts, because his teacher, Mr. Tooter makes the lesson plan fun by incorporating multiple cooperative learning activities during the class time. He has language arts as his first class of the day, so I feel this is extremely beneficial for his learning because he starts his day off learning in a positive atmosphere. The teacher is using cooperative learning with his students to help them gain higher-level reasoning and creative thinking skills to encourage long-term retention of the subject matter for his students. When students enjoy the methods the teacher uses and finds them beneficial to his or her learning style it increases his or her self-esteem and induces greater intrinsic motivation on the subject, if only as a way to impress a teacher that has made an impression on the student.
Greg enjoys activities that are hands-on and allow him to work with other students or to work at his own pace. For him, if he has a process that he can follow to learn the material it is easier for him to remember. It sounds to me that Greg really learns best when he has guided discovery learning because he is able to interpret the information as he is processing it with a hands-on activity. When I asked him if this is what he meant, he agreed but also said that he likes when they work in groups as well, because he gets time with his friends. He does really well in school,...
... middle of paper ...
...k to his friends and sometimes he will go to school a bit early to work with the teachers if he feels he is struggling with the material.
My classroom and support
Students like Greg require supportive environments where they are able to interact with his or her peers in the learning process. Direct instruction will work on some of the materials I will be covering, especially with the science content track. One important thing to remember when teaching with direct instruction or lecturing is to limit the time spent covering material to one minute per the age of the student to manage student behavior. Following up a lecture with a hands-on activity can help students process the information that they just learned. In addition, a cooperative learning environment will help students reflect on the important information and transfer the observations to prior knowledge.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- The teacher plays a crucial role in education because they are the initiator, facilitator, and assessor. In a traditional sense a teacher is the alpha and beta of education, however, with new ways of thinking brought upon by different philosophers like Dewey and Freire, the beta of education lies in the hands of the student. Instead of education being based upon the teacher, there is shift in the process of education and a different understanding of how true learning takes place. The teacher acts more like a guide than a very strict dictator-type figure.... [tags: Education, Teacher, Learning, Pedagogy]
719 words (2.1 pages)
- Teacher Development in the Classroom Is hard to obey and pay attention to a person that is not part of your close circle. Teachers always struggle with the students because the teacher has to catch the attention of all the students in its classroom. The movie Freedom Writers show the development and skills that made the teacher, successful. First of all, the teacher is challenged when started with freshman students with a bad background and at the age where the students have too much rebellion.... [tags: Education, Teacher, Psychology, Student]
710 words (2 pages)
- William Arthur Ward wrote: The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires. (Koch, 2012) This powerful statement talks about the goodness of fit. This is the qualities of a person that makes them feel qualified to pursue a career in teaching. As a teacher I will be responsible for the next generation of the world so I must make sure that I possess the qualities that will inspire them. As an educator you must make sure that you are able to be a centered presence.... [tags: Education, Teacher]
789 words (2.3 pages)
- “The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires.” This quote by William Arthur Ward is perhaps my favorite message in regards to education and the role that teachers play in the lives of their students. Though young in age and with obvious faults, I make up for it with life experiences that sadden, amaze, and inspire those who are eager to listen and to learn. A brief description will show that growing up I was taught to be a “southern gentlemen”, that is to be respectful to everybody, have proper manners, and most importantly to be a hard worker.... [tags: Teacher, Education, Substitute teacher, School]
809 words (2.3 pages)
- Generally, when a person decides to follow a profession such as teaching, there is usually a strong motivation behind that decision. This is not only a positive aspect but also a necessary feature in this particular profession. A teacher is more than a person who stands at the front of a classroom and divulges facts and figures, they are, and should be, one who inspires and nurtures curiosity and the pursuit of knowledge in their students. They often act as a role model, an inspiration, a guide, and many other things to learners of all ages throughout the world.... [tags: Education, Knowledge, Teacher, Teaching]
811 words (2.3 pages)
- I observed a teacher and an assistant teacher in class for three to five years old children. When I entered the classroom at 8:30, there were nine students and a parent. A boy was crying next his parent, a girl was drawing, two boys were playing with toy cars, and rest of them were playing blocks. The teacher was talking with the parent, and the assistant teacher were inviting the boy next his parent to play blocks with her and other students. After the boy began to play, she left the table. She walked around, talking and asking some questions to other students.... [tags: Education, Teacher, Childhood, Observation]
718 words (2.1 pages)
- Anything but Teaching Becoming a teacher and staying a teacher can be quite the challenge. Most universities don’t adequately prepare students for the challenges they will be met with every single day. Most students are not informed of the good, the bad, and the ugly before becoming a teacher. Many students are not fully aware of the seriousness and stressfulness that goes hand-in-hand with their profession. Teaching can cause more stress than many other professions and is one the least valued professions to date.... [tags: Education, Teacher, School, Profession]
1023 words (2.9 pages)
- Teacher Interview Essay While attending Miami Edison Sr. High school, I had the honor of interviewing my field experience teacher Mr. Armand. He was born in Haiti. He came to America when he was 13. He graduated from Miami Edison Sr. high in 1992. He earned his associated in art degree at Miami Dade College. In 2001 he graduated from Florida International University with his bachelor in art and master degrees. He has taught at Miami Edison for 15 years. He teaches intensive mathematics and college algebra.... [tags: Education, Teacher, School, Lesson plan]
1028 words (2.9 pages)
- One of the few things that make my day when I walk into my placement is the amount of students who come up to me from past classes and say hello. They genuinely ask how I am, ask me to look at their latest assignment, sketch, or test—because they received and amazing mark-- what classes I’m teaching and saying that I should go and teach in their class. The best part of these moments is that the majority of students who come up to me and say hello are those in locally developed classes which I help in.... [tags: Education, High school, Teacher, School]
1230 words (3.5 pages)
- We all remember our teachers and for different reasons but an outstanding teacher, ones that we truly remember and cherish that memory have in some way moulded our lives. Outstanding teacher really can change lives. We often hear people say they were inspirational, they made me love school/a subject, I love being in their lessons… Whilst writing this section I reflected on my time as a primary school pupil and three very different teachers in three very different schools immediately came to mind… and probably have never been too far from my consciousness.... [tags: Education, School, Teacher, George Bernard Shaw]
930 words (2.7 pages)