Seminar 7, LTC
As I work to identify, understand and develop my strengths and weaknesses revealed through several different leadership surveys and the curriculum of the Air War College, I felt it important, as it stands today, to analyze my abilities to lead at the senior (strategic) level in a dynamic Joint, Interagency, Intergovernmental and Multinational (JIIM) environment. Therefore, after five combat deployments and a plethora of tactical and operational knowledge, I am looking forward to preparing myself for the move to the next level—Strategic—with an understanding of my strengths and weaknesses coupled with a solid plan for growth and development.
I want to outline how I view my leadership (strengths and weaknesses) through my own lens. I have always used the following character attributes to describe myself: loyalty, duty, respect, selfless service, honor, integrity, and personal courage (LDRSHIP). These are my personal character goals, essentially how I measure myself daily. I have grown and learned a lot from my mistakes and have become a better, more compassionate leader throughout my career.
Strengths… integrity; problem solving and decisions making; and gaining influence and Weaknesses… managing conflict; cultural and global awareness; and communicating.
Character: Integrity and Trust
The most important of all character attributes. Your decisions, choices and actions determine your character and I think being a morally, ethically sound leader is mandatory at any level. It would be a futile attempt to consider any other weaknesses or strengths if you have a character flaw. Integrity and trust are the building blocks on which all other actions are d...
... middle of paper ...
...ttending the Air War College; I did not know what I needed to work on – or where to begin. As I progress through my studies at the Air War College and receive honest leadership feedback from the surveys and one on one counseling, I found my starting point. To be successful at the senior (strategic) level in a dynamic Joint, Interagency, Intergovernmental and Multinational (JIIM) environment, I need to see myself honestly. As I continue to grow my knowledge and expertise through the curriculum of the AWC, I will continue to focus on growing, learning and improving my weaknesses. At the same time though, work to improve and polish those areas that I have shown strength in and make myself a well-rounded strategic leader. At the end of the day, it all resides within me and with so much at stake; I guarantee these issues will get my complete unrestricted attention.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Are we allowed to post this essay. AY 2011-2012 I Suspect My Government Will Not Do The Right Thing; I Hope They Protect Me. National Security Studies WILLIAM KURTZ DANIEL P CORBIN, NH-4, DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY SEMINAR 13 KELLY MORRIS, PRIMARY FACULTY ADVISOR The Industrial College of the Armed Forces National Defense University Fort McNair, Washington, D.C. 20319-5062 The views expressed in this paper are those of the author and do not reflect the official policy or position of the National Defense University, the Department of Defense or the U.S.... [tags: Strengths, Weaknesses, Decisions]
1254 words (3.6 pages)
- ... For anyone who attends Skagit without any college experience is able to witness what college is like. Some people worry about certain things such as, it’s going to be rough or it’s probably too tough. Going through procedures and meetings, usually clears up these fears or anxiety. Attending or taking classes, you gain college experience which will guide and help you through a four year college. As Skagit Valley College may be excellent, it also has its weaknesses such as the first come/first serve policy or statement.... [tags: personal higher education assessment]
916 words (2.6 pages)
- Strengths and Weaknesses Throughout the Mid-SEE I have written reflections on my writing and participated in group activities. I have received comments back from my peers and suggestions to help with revising my paper. With the help of my professor, Professor Church and my classmates, I was able to comprehend their suggestions to me to make my essay better and by revising my classmate’s essays, I was able to point out mistakes that I might have made in my essay, which made myself go back to my essay and check and see if I had mistakes that just flew by my eyes.... [tags: Self-Reflection]
860 words (2.5 pages)
- Strengths and weaknesses are important for leaders to understand in order to create a successful movement; however, nobody is born with strengths. Everyone has naturally occurring talents that are individual to themselves. Over time, applying a talent repeatedly will develop that trait into a strength, which can then be applied to any situation one may encounter. I found the StrengthsFinder assessment to be an excellent measure of my talents. As a student who was involved in leadership and academics at a high level in high school, I felt as though I knew myself well.... [tags: Leadership, High school, College, Goal]
1020 words (2.9 pages)
- ... The policy also states that compensation assessed to be of value greater than $10,000 per annum, would be scaled back to the correct rate of pay. With this news I became concerned about how this re-assessment would be received by the manager impacted and the message the organization would be sending with it. I expressed my concern to the HR Director and my boss, as I believed that the employee in question would be negatively impacted by the organizational assessment and policy, and that we were dealing with an employee that had an excellent performance record and many years of service.... [tags: strengths and weaknesses]
1934 words (5.5 pages)
- After reflecting on my Strengths and weaknesses that I addressed in my SWOT analysis I tried to come up with three goals that would push me to my career goal. I plan to get my doctorate in economics so that I may be a college professor. I was concerned with the time it would take to get my degree, but time has passed and I am no longer worried. I even visited the Advising center to clarify my degree plan and review the recommended courses. Community college is just a stepping stone. My eyes are set on A&M University and I plan to transfer in the fall semester of 2016.... [tags: High school, College, Money, 2006 singles]
1253 words (3.6 pages)
- Throughout the years in middle school and high school I 've had to write many essays. Every time I walked into class and on the board it said "Essay" the anxiety attacked. Writing essays was never my favorite thing to do and im pretty sure many people feel the same way. My last teacher said he liked the creativity I had in my writing the only thing missing was knowing how to writing correctly. No writer is born knowing how to write perfectly they all had to learn and that’s what I 'm doing except what they learned stuck to them.... [tags: Writing, Essay, Writer, Creative writing]
1056 words (3 pages)
- College freshman face many challenges and difficulties transitioning from high school to college. For instance, writing composition is one of the challenges I face in college. The final assignment; a portfolio, provides me an opportunity to discover my true strengths and weaknesses of writing college tier essays. Reflecting over my growth in the course objectives, I have been able to acquire the true strengths and weaknesses of my writing. Freshman writing composition assists in revealing my two strengths in critical thinking and personal responsibility in writing essays, but also exposes the two major weaknesses of my communication skills such as grammar and mechanics within my essays.... [tags: Writing, Critical thinking, Grammar, Essay]
1284 words (3.7 pages)
- My Career, My Career Interest, and the Value of a College Education Abstract My career path has been chosen for me through heredity, as my length of time on Earth has been pre-determined by the Great Creator. How I choose to use this time will be referred to as my success statement of life. How I am remembered will depend on what I accomplish. In short, life is given, but not guaranteed. We all have the choices before us, which determine if life is easy or difficult. Many times, I had the option of all or nothing, and for some reason chose all every time.... [tags: essays research papers]
2274 words (6.5 pages)
- The objective of this paper is to show you the personal strengths and weakness that I identified by asking friends and family their opinion on the topic regarding yours truly, and by examining myself for areas that I am really good at (also known as strengths) and areas I need to improve (otherwise known as weaknesses). After I have identified them, I will tell you how recognizing my strengths and weakness can help me to improve myself to achieve a more peaceful and satisfying personal life. I will start with the unflattering information first and list my most obvious weaknesses.... [tags: essays research papers]
894 words (2.6 pages)