Public speaking classes really had an impact on me as a communicator both personally and publicly. Regarding personal development, they have enabled me develop oral communication skills such as presentation skills. In order to achieve better oral presentation skill. it requires one to read more and widely. Reading novels, newspapers, and journals equips one with vocabularies which has always enabled one to drive ideas more clearly do away with vague language. Eloquence is the most adorable communication skill I gained from public speaking class. Through many rehearsals and practise I was able to articulate words properly and be effective in expressing myself through speech.
Through my communication classes, I have been able to horn my critical and creative thinking skills. During my classes, I learned that to be a better narrator or speaker one must be able to capture the attention of his or her audience. Creativity is the only tool to do this and to be creative one must be a critical thinker. Critical thinking enables a public speaker...
... middle of paper ...
The persuasive presentation was great although I could not completely persuade some of my audience. The teacher recommended that I should equip myself with better problem solving techniques in order to be more persuasive
The narrative speech was impeachable and attractive to my audience. This was my favourite speech because I was very comfortable telling my stories. In this speech I learned that it’s better if I speck without notes.
Overall, this course has helped me overcome my fear of public speaking. From taking this class, I have learned many things not only how to speck but how to move, look and use hand signals. However, this class has helped me to know my self better. I learned a lot of skills that will help me in the future classes especially as a business major. I wish that I took this class in my freshman year instead of my junior year.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- At first I thought I would never make it to be a motivational speaker. However, this class has really altered the perception and understanding about me as a public speaker. It has enabled me discover the potential I had in this field. At the commencement of my classes in public speaking, I thought I would be a boring public speaker, less convincing, less persuasive and would freak out if asked to offer an impromptu speech. But it has come to my light that in fact this is the field where I would want to pursue my career in, it is the field that my dream lies in.... [tags: Public speaking, Rhetoric, Public speaker]
1352 words (3.9 pages)
- Speech: Take a Public Speaking Class Have you ever thought of taking a public speaking class in school. If you haven?t I highly suggest that you do because it will increase your ability to communicate with other human beings and just make it easier. Today, I will be talking about a couple of abilities that you can greatly improve by taking a simple introductory course in public speaking. I will be talking about the importance of a good attention getter, a clear presentation of your points, and eye contact with the audience.... [tags: Papers]
397 words (1.1 pages)
- Speech class has allowed me to give better speeches and presentations. I have improved various abilities in speech given. After speech class I still require improvements in various abilities. I will need to work on making improvements in the areas that need improvements. I found speech class to help me in other classes throughout the semester where I had to give presentations. Through speech class I have learned how to make effective outlines, writing a manuscript, better powerpoint presentations, more comfortable in front of people and doing a speech with no notecard.... [tags: Better, Improve, Public speaking, Writing]
1112 words (3.2 pages)
- Whether you’re preparing a speech for class or a presentation for a business meeting Chapter One Introduction Once you know your topic, you need to start planning your speech. The first step is to begin researching your topic and create an outline. Then you’ll need to create talking points, practice and perfect the speech before you 're finally ready to present. Outline Your speech can be broken up into three main sections: the introduction, the body and the conclusion. Each section contains some key elements.... [tags: Rhetoric, Public speaking, Audience]
962 words (2.7 pages)
- Before this class I had presented in front of classrooms in high school before and had experience delivering speeches in public. Yet I am still nervous and uncomfortable standing in front of people presenting. Through this class and the speeches, we delivered I gained more experience with public speaking. I am still not fully comfortable with presenting in public, I think I may need take more practice and experience, but I believe I did improve over the course of this semester. My first speech of the three surrounding our passion topic went smoothly, though I was nervous.... [tags: Rhetoric, Public speaking, Speech, Oratory]
1144 words (3.3 pages)
- My journey as a public speaker over the semester was somewhat challenging. Before I took this class, I believe my public speaking skills was poor. I usually present my speeches reading off the slides which makes it very boring for the audience. I knew that eye contact is very important to maintain during the speech. I know that public speaking skill is a skill that is commonly used in almost all occupations. So, I decided to take this courses, in order to improve my public speaking skills even though I’m not very good at talking in front of a large audience.... [tags: Public speaking, Public speaker, Speaking fee]
718 words (2.1 pages)
- How has public speaking become so feared. “In a study [of 9,000 people] that concentrated on fears in a social situation, their top ranking fears were public speaking, speaking up in class, meeting new people, talking to people of authority, important exams or interviews, going to parties and talking to strangers”(Lucas, 2012, pg. 9). This question has always perplexed me, because I too suffer from a fear of speaking in public. But after reading chapter one of The Art of Public Speaking, I understand now that it is a blend of different subjects that make public speaking seem so unappealing.... [tags: Public speaking, Public speaker, Speaking fee]
1156 words (3.3 pages)
- 1. Critical thinking skills are important to have as a speaker because they allow people to decide what to believe or what to do. Public speaking exercises eight critical thinking skills. Critical thinking allows someone to focus which will help them define a problem, set goals, and select pieces of information. Another skill is information gathering that allows one to formulate questions and collect data. Remembering skills enable an individual to store information in his/her long-term memory and retrieve it.... [tags: Public Speaking]
1344 words (3.8 pages)
- Public speaking will always be one of my biggest weaknesses in my life. It’s not the fear of a one sided conversation, it’s the public spot light. Over time I have learned to control this fear. I personally believe there are 3 key characteristics that are essential to effective communication; the first is having a clear, concise message. People need to understand what you are saying with little to no struggle on their behalf. This is the main point of a speech, you have something to say to me, I will listen to your message.... [tags: Public speaking, Public speaker, Rhetoric, Marine]
1832 words (5.2 pages)
- Public speaking is one of the most under rated skills learned in school, yet is one of the most valuable. The way you communicate shows a lot about you, and can influence other’s opinions of you. In every profession communicatiis important. Good communication skills, no matter what you plan to do in life, will help you out greatly and improve your chances against a harsh job market. I am majoring in Business Administration and Law, and communication is one of the biggest parts of business and law, yet communication is hardly ever taught in business classes for my major.... [tags: Public Speaking Persuasive Essays]
780 words (2.2 pages)