Essay PreviewMore ↓
For my service learning project I dedicated one hour to selling tickets for the benefited pulled pork dinner with our Cowley Activity Awareness Team (CAAT), and did the rest of my hours by serving at the lunch/dinner. The pulled pork dinner was hosted by ACES, another club at Cowley, and it all the money that was raised went towards a food packaging event in November. My duties in this were to fill up cups with water/tea, serve food, and send out prepared meals to cars. I chose to do this as my service learning project because I wanted to be face to face with the people that were helping us make a difference, and to gain experience with serving.
There were many areas that I saw being used in this service learning event that we have been taught in psychology. We used classical conditioning which is the type of learning in which a response naturally elicited by one stimulus comes to be elicited by a different, formerly neutral, stimulus. Every time a person would walk into the room where we were serving food we would automatically start preparing our food and being ready to serve them when they got into line. We were being conditioned to serve food every time someone new entered the room. This would also be known as a conditioned response. James Frye and Tabitha Farley, the ones who helped with the event, were our reinforcers. Reinforcers are a stimuli that follows a behavior and increases the likelihood that the behavior will be repeated. Whenever we were doing a good job, they would complement us and tell us to keep up our good work. This made us want to work harder and do better.
Observational learning was also used in this. Observational learning is learning by observing other people’s behavior. We were showed where to put prearranged food, how much to put on the plates, and how to be sanitary around the food. Short term memory is briefly storing and processing information from our sensory registers. We used our short term memory by remembering what how much food goes where, and what to tell people when they’re confused on where to go and what to get.
I’m majoring in social work and I found many things that linked this and my major together. I learned how to act in a setting with different types of people with different wants and needs.
How to Cite this Page
"My Service Learning Project." 123HelpMe.com. 25 Feb 2020
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Every Leader has his or her own idea of what leadership is, but not everyone thinks the same way. In general, Leaders are those who know how to create a vision, achieve goals and motivate people along the way. My definition of leadership is having the ability to create a vision, motivate people to work collaboratively toward achieving a common objective. I found that my participation in the Service Learning project was enlightening and had a positive effect on my life as a whole. I appreciated the invigoration that I felt as I involved myself in hands-on service to others and for the greater good of the community as a whole.... [tags: Leadership, Servant leadership, Management]
1091 words (3.1 pages)
- Being and older student with an established career, I was a little unsure on where to conduct my service learning project. In the class syllabus, it states that the purpose of the service learning project is: “To connect course materials to policies and practices implemented through agencies to serve victims and survivors of interpersonal and power based violence. It is designed to encourage critical evaluation of the strengths and weaknesses of current approaches to serving victims of violence” (Criminal Justice 403.... [tags: Domestic violence, Police, Violence, Child abuse]
841 words (2.4 pages)
- I opted to do the service learning project as opposed to the movie review or term paper because prior to this class, I had already devoted over 200 hours to the Southcliff Baptist Children’s Ministry. The beginnings of Southcliff go back to 1901 or 1902, Mrs. A.J. (Kate) Parks began the Seventh Ward Mission alongside Broadway Baptist Church. In October 1904, the Kentucky Avenue Baptist Church was formed out of the Seventh Ward Mission and met at an unused building. The church had about thirty members, and John R.... [tags: Christian terms, Christianity, 1988, 1902]
716 words (2 pages)
- Service Learning For my service learning project I dedicated one hour to selling tickets for the benefited pulled pork dinner with our Cowley Activity Awareness Team (CAAT), and did the rest of my hours by serving at the lunch/dinner. The pulled pork dinner was hosted by ACES, another club at Cowley, and it all the money that was raised went towards a food packaging event in November. My duties in this were to fill up cups with water/tea, serve food, and send out prepared meals to cars. I chose to do this as my service learning project because I wanted to be face to face with the people that were helping us make a difference, and to gain experience with serving.... [tags: selling tickets for the benefit pulled pork dinner]
566 words (1.6 pages)
- I want to start off by saying that conducting this service learning project was a wonderful experience that allowed me to encounter an entirely different aspect of the local Deland community. I very much enjoyed being able to interact with the children at Pathways’ Deland Head Start location and teach them about personal hygiene. Speaking on matters of personal health habits that allow you to lead a healthier and happier life is something I am very passionate about. When coming up with a lesson plan for the children, I wanted to create an interactive curriculum they would enjoy, and be able to remember the skills we taught them regarding how to best take care of their personal health as youn... [tags: Hygiene, Health, Teacher, Bathing]
841 words (2.4 pages)
- Insert Title Here Service-learning is a great way to experience course objectives in the real world, outside of the classroom, and can help individuals to become global citizens by providing an opportunity to practice active citizenship and social responsibility through community engagement. For my Global Citizenship (SS103.XB1B.16SPR) course, I decided to take a direct approach for my service learning project and volunteer in my local community to help those in need of food. I chose to help a group of people, known as “Team Rochester”, at my church, Hope Summit Christian Church, which is located in Rochester, MN.... [tags: Poverty in the United States, Poverty]
1764 words (5 pages)
- Service Reflection For my service learning project, I went to Jan Brzechwy Polish School to volunteer. I had a great experience, and I did not expect it to go that smoothly. This experience allowed me to visit the same Polish school that I attended for twelve years every Friday night. Although it was hard giving up my Fridays to learn Polish, I am so grateful that I did because knowing the language that my parents know and communicate with is rewarding even though we primarily speak in English to each other.... [tags: Education, Teacher, The Little Things, Coco]
947 words (2.7 pages)
- Introduction For my service learning project, I took a trip down to Maine’s capital to go to a special place to help out at a veteran’s home. My drive down there was a bit longer than I expected, I got lost a few times but I got to the veteran’s home around ten in the morning. When I got there I had to fill out an application and then I followed a nurse down the hall, she told me that we were going to a unit that was locked down because they had Alzheimer’s. When we walked in the door the patients were doing there morning physical therapy.... [tags: Nursing, Nursing home, Lunch, Nurse]
1406 words (4 pages)
- For my senior service learning project, I volunteered at Helfrich Park STEM Academy and worked with several of their after school groups and attended the annual LBL trip. After completing the speech season, Land Between the Lakes, and a few extra hours earned from academic team, my partner and I had approximately 73 hours. I earned about 15 of my hours from volunteering with Helfrich’s speech team; during these hours I would work with members either on their own or in pairs. However, a majority of my hours originated from LBL as the trip began early on a Friday morning and continued on until noon of the following Sunday; overall that trip constitutes for around 54 hours.... [tags: High school, College, Middle school]
1253 words (3.6 pages)
- The agency I did my service learning with is called The Village Project. This is an after school program that caters to the minority youth within the city of Seaside. They are taking the under-privileged youth and giving them a safe place to continue their education after school. These kids are falling through the cracks in the education system and need someone to help put them back on the right track. The village project offers a unique set of opportunities that are not otherwise offered to these kids.... [tags: Education, School, Higher education]
1751 words (5 pages)
I feel like being a member in today’s society we should always look out for an opportunity to serve others. We should take the time to give instead of receive. Doing service work helps improve us as citizens, such as becoming more well-rounded citizens and helping those in need. Our leadership skills are brightened and we can lead on a domino effect of helping others so that the cycle is never broken. Service learning should be done whenever it is needed, if someone is in need of help or wouldn’t mind having a few extra hands the opportunity should always be taken. I think everyone should experience volunteering and service learning, to see the differences and help learn and educate others.
I believe my project should be looked at as service learning over volunteering for various reasons. I did more than just go help out for a few hours, but I got to see all the faces that helped make the dinner possible. All the people that showed up donated not only their money, but their time in order to help us raise money for a good cause. I learned how to apply myself in different areas and become more knowledgeable about what I was doing. It was a lot of engaging and knowing that I did a good thing at the end of the day, and that I would potentially be helping out someone I didn’t know with our cause we were raising money for