The first thing that a basketball represents, for me, is change. Growing up I was a rebel. I never did anything I was supposed or asked to do. I made it a point to rebel against my parents, teachers, and siblings. My parents had no idea where this behavior had come from or how it could be stopped. I was often punished for this behavior that started when I was around the age of 9. My parents thought I had an evil spirit inside of me and soon lost all anticipation. Then there was hope. A basketball coach from A.B.Miller high school saw me and my family at Wal-Mart, and asked for me to be placed on this team. He knew...
... middle of paper ...
...idered a "clutch" player, one to do well in high pressure situations, so when I don't succeed, or hold up to ones expectations as well as everyone thought I would, it is disappointing.
A basketball represents my life. Basketball has been my life. That's all I have known since my first days of high school and it is and will continue to be the most important thing to me through college. Sometimes though when you've done something for so long, it's healthy to get away so you can find that spark again, that fire, that love as to why you started a passion for the sport in the first place, but I am just getting started. It has taken me places I thought I would never go, and I am hoping it continues to do so.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Every time you step on to the court its a challenge. Not only an individual challenge, but a team challenge to be the best. This is for the best two sports in the world, football and basketball. The glory of winning, but the agony of losing, is what separates the champs from contenders. There are truly two of sports we highlight in today culture. They are so popular that you see them all over the world, or maybe different version of them. There are truly die hard fans from not only these sports, but others world wide.... [tags: American football, Basketball, Ball]
851 words (2.4 pages)
- I have chosen this career because there is nothing I would rather do than play the game of basketball for the rest my life. I started playing organized basketball in the sixth grade, and I have been in love with the game ever since. Here is a little history on basketball, The First type game may have been played by the early Olmec people of ancient Mexico as early as 500 years ago. The Aztec, and Mayan cultures also had a game similar to basketball, only instead of a rubber ball they used the decapitated skulls of their conquered foes.... [tags: Basketball, National Basketball Association]
1281 words (3.7 pages)
- Basketball is and always will be my love. The passion I have for this sport is unimaginable. This is the sport that cheers me up when I am distressed or upset. Playing the sport has provided me with my getaway from the worries of life that people need to stay sane throughout the struggles in their journey to success. Every time I pick up a basketball, I instantly enter a whole new world. All the worries, no matter how serious, would just disappear. It would be the thing I would always love to do no matter what the situation, I would go play basketball.... [tags: Basketball, College basketball, 2007 singles]
714 words (2 pages)
- Throughout my high school career, I have participated in two Varsity sports: basketball and track. Basketball is the most important sport that I participate in out of the two because I enjoy it the most. I have been on Varsity in track ever since I started the sport Sophomore year. I run track to keep in shape and due to the other athletes in the sport. I have been playing basketball since fourth grade. It has become a major part of my life and has made me the person I am today. I have learned many life lessons from this sport and about being a team player.... [tags: High school, Basketball, Varsity team]
1073 words (3.1 pages)
- Basketball is one of the interesting sports I have always wanted to engage myself; even as a little child. It was a dream come true when I started playing basketball in my high school.Moreover, I was very good in it, and I became the team leader. Of course, I enjoyed every bite of the time I spent playing basketball. My participation on basketball, had numerous effects on my life, and these are physical, personal and social. When discussing the physical impact basketball had in my life, I will not hesitate to state that, I used to be overweight, but now I have a normal weight.... [tags: Personal Narrative, Essay About Myself]
470 words (1.3 pages)
- Before I talk about the interview it is necessary to illustrate you with the differences in able body basketball and wheelchair basketball. The rules of wheelchair basketball and stand up basketball are very similar. The quarters are the length of 12 minutes. The shot clock is 24 seconds and once the ball hits the rim it resets. When the ball is in play you have 8 seconds to cross half court. Players can only be in the key for 3 seconds unless if the ball is being shot. When a player is inbounding the ball you have 5 seconds to pass the ball in.... [tags: Disability, Wheelchair, Basketball]
1744 words (5 pages)
- As a child growing up I was taught that being a business man was substantial in becoming a man. My father always made it his responsibility to engineer the foundation of business. His main goal for his son was to become an entrepreneur. Unfortunately, I became interested in a different field. With the same intentions of staying in business, business analyst grew on me unexpectedly. My father being the disciplinarian kept me business orientated but sports had an effect as well. Life began to hit me once I was leaving High School.... [tags: Health care, Health, UnitedHealth Group, Medicine]
1184 words (3.4 pages)
- The Beginning of Basketball Have you ever had an interest in how something was invented. An interest in how your favorite activity or hobby came about. Ever since I was introduced to sports and how competitive it was, I became hooked. I enjoy playing football, basketball, and baseball. Of the three main sports that I play, basketball seems to be my favorite. It challenges endurance, speed, accuracy, agility, and strength. I feel guilty not knowing who created the game that takes up most of my free-time.... [tags: History Basketball]
1192 words (3.4 pages)
- Basketball and my life I have throughout my whole life been playing sports. I still play basketball competitively and now it’s at the university level. Basketball though was not my first love when it came to playing sports. It has though become my true focus since junior high school. Coming from Canada everybody plays hockey. Its almost as if as soon as you learn to walk you learn how to skate. Whether it is at the recreation centre or at the shinny rink around the corner everyone plays.... [tags: Personal Narratives Sports Athletics Essays]
980 words (2.8 pages)
- Playing Basketball Being part of the basketball clique in high school helped me learn the intrapersonal and social communication skills I use today. As a child playing basketball was my favorite activity or hobby. It's also the way I met a lot of my good friends that I have now. All my close friends I have met. I have met them through playing basketball.. Whether they were on my team, the opposing team or just fans in the crowd who admired my play. Not only has basketball helped me gain friends, but basketball also taught me a lot about life.... [tags: Personal Narrative Essays]
682 words (1.9 pages)