As I began my journey of learning a new skill which was how to play a song on the piano, I was not quite confidant and sure I would successfully achieve the skill. Balakrishnan & Claiborne (2012) touch on Lev Vygotsky’s term The More Knowledgeable Other (MKO), a person who has a higher ability and deeper understanding of task, than the person who is learning the task. In my case my piano teacher was the MKO and was using her knowledge and talent of piano playing to assist me with my learning. I usually gain a better understanding of a task once I have tried a hands on approach, this is possibly why I was able to quickly learn to play the piano. Gardner & Hatch (1989) speak of the Theory of Multiple Intelligences, one being Bodily-Kinesthetic Intelligence, an intelligence I experienced in my piano classes, as I was controlling movements and managing the piano skilfully in the process. Towards my last piano classes I was rather proud of my efforts and improvement I had made over the few weeks and was interested to continue on with lessons after my assessment was complete. Lawrence (2009) wr...
... middle of paper ...
Gardner, H & Hatch, T 1989, ‘Multiple Intelligences Go to School Educational Implications of the Theory of Multiple Intelligences’, Educational Researcher, vol. 18, no. 8, pp. 4-10.
Lawrence, A 2009, Designing Instruction for the Traditional, Adult, and Distance Learner: A New Engine for Technology-Based Teaching, 1st edn, Information Science Reference, Hershey, PA.
Mooney, CG 2013, Theories of childhood: an introduction to Dewey, Montessori, Erikson, Piaget, and Vygotsky, 2nd edn, Redleaf Press, St. Paul, MN.
Nagel, MC 2013, ‘Student Learning’, in R Churchill, P Ferguson, S Godinho, N Johnson, A Keddie, W Letts, J Mackay, M McGill, J Moss, M Nagel, P Nicholson & M Vick (ed.), Teaching: Making a Difference, John Wiley & Sons, Milton, Qld, pp. 74-111.
Lave, J 1996, ‘Teaching, as Learning, in Practice’, Mind, Culture and Activity, vol. 3, no. 3, pp. 149-164.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- As part of my second semester at university examining research and its implications, I have been exploring numerous methodical case studies to illustrate my knowledge into selected research, regarding scepticism, validity as well as ethics. One of the case studies that I looked into was Goldacre (2009). Research can often be distorted presenting incorrect information that results in contradictions as well as altering the meaning of the conducted research. Therefore “seeking through methodical processes to add to one’s own body of knowledge and, hopefully, to that of others, by the discovery of non-trivial facts and insights” (Sharp, Peters and Howard, 2002).... [tags: Reflection ]
881 words (2.5 pages)
- The Journey of Education My educational journey has been marked by many incredible teachers and (equally incredible) experiences. I am very fortunate to have been a student to some of the greatest, however sadly unknown teachers. My educational journey has been accompanied by teachers from all ends of the educational spectrum. I have had serious, inspirational and unorthodox teachers and teaching styles. It is my intention to illustrate my educational journey to the reader. My early experiences as a student had little effect on shaping my life.... [tags: Learning Education Teaching Essays]
840 words (2.4 pages)
- ... From the zero point to Vancouver city just took one month. The story behind this flash moment I kind of did everything without asking my parents, just take my passport and the paper that I need to get school acceptance and Visa approval, and apply. Back home we have some offices that take care of everything you need to get your visa and school paper done. Couple weeks later I got all what I need and then I called a “family meeting” and surprised them by saying “I am going to Canada to complete my study there”.... [tags: tours, countries, culture]
682 words (1.9 pages)
- ... Haber's book was published by Walt Disney, who opened up Tomorrowland in Disneyland in connection with the book. Why. Well, Disney was fascinated with the progression of science, and the way in which it could benefit and enhance human life. Thus, both the book, its cinematic counterpart, and Tomorrowland were dedicated towards embodying the scientific advancements of the future. The audience of Haber's book, however, is quite unique. Disney was – and is – a universally recognized name, attracting viewers and readers from young toddlers to adults.... [tags: disney, atoms, policy]
1076 words (3.1 pages)
- ... I’m thrilled to be on this journey to become knowledgeable and practice what I have learned in the Leadership for Academic Success class. Past and Present Assessment When I initially pursued my education, language was a barrier. At that time my English was not fluent, subsequently making it very difficult to understand and communicate with my professors. Since I only lived in Florida for 2 years prior to college, the English I learned was not at a college level. I had to work hard to learn a new language.... [tags: goal, leadership, language]
669 words (1.9 pages)
- The Learning Environment We now live in a knowledge-based society. 21st century living is a more globalized and changing environment, and consequently, is in a constant state of flux. The new world order places a premium on individuals who have the ability to use information by analyzing, evaluating, designing, and creating new solutions and products. Therefore, it is my firm belief that we need to develop learners (regardless of age, sex, race, gender identity, religion, social or economic status) in higher-order thinking and performance skills that will make them problem solvers, critical thinkers, innovators, troubleshooters or entrepreneurs – productive and involved citizens who are glo... [tags: Student Engagement, Technological Innovation]
1139 words (3.3 pages)
- Dear Irene, I would first like to thank you, for encouraging me to enter the competition and I could not believe that I won. As soon as they called out my name on the radio, I went running around my house, crazy, jumping up and down on my small bed, which I think I ruined the springs in it. Although it’s a pity you could not come with me, because the fact is that I had a spectacular holiday. There was a variety of choices on where to go, but none of them interests me except for one that I have not tried yet, and that was ‘Rafts and river journeys’ in the Amazon river, Brazil.... [tags: essays research papers]
1371 words (3.9 pages)
- Learning Reflection A solid education is imperative for success. Education impacts the personal and professional side of life. I have been in the pursuit of my degree for quite some time. I have allowed obstacles to distract and discourage me from obtaining my degree. For instance, my language barrier was an impediment for quite some time. I was determined to work and become fluent in the English language. The experience of learning another language was challenging but rewarding. Work is another challenge that I have encountered.... [tags: ]
922 words (2.6 pages)
- In designing a teaching philosophy and rationale, it is important to recognise at the outset that students or learners have different abilities, needs, cultural backgrounds and learning styles. Positive attitudes are sustained when classroom approaches centre on learning and not on teaching. For them to acquire knowledge and skills, they like to be engaged and encouraged where they partake in the processes of their learning despite their cultural diversities in a global world. In other words, a learner centred approach alone may not suffice.... [tags: Philosophy, Teaching]
794 words (2.3 pages)
- The Hero’s Journey Watching a film, one can easily recognize plot, theme, characterization, etc., but not many realize what basic principle lies behind nearly every story conceived: the hero’s journey. This concept allows for a comprehensive, logical flow throughout a movie. Once the hero’s journey is thoroughly understood, anyone can pick out the elements in nearly every piece. The hero’s journey follows a simple outline. First the hero in question must have a disadvantaged childhood. Next the hero will find a mentor who wisely lays out his/her prophecy.... [tags: Star Wars Entertainment Movies Essays]
999 words (2.9 pages)