Firefighting is a fulfilling career because you get to protect your community. “I have no ambition in this world but one, and that is to be a fireman. The position may, in the eyes of some, appear to be a lowly one; but we who know the work which the fireman has to do believe that his is a noble calling. Our proudest moment is to save lives” (http://en.thinkexist.com/quotation/i-have-no-ambition-in-this-world-but-one-and-that/821652.html).
I’m striving to become a successful firefighter. A firefighter is someone who is trained to extinguish hazardous fires and rescue people from dangerous situations Not only do firefighters contain blazes of all shapes and sizes but they also provide life-saving medical aid to citizens prior to hospital care. Without them the United States would have absolute chaos. If your house caught on fire and you didn’t have access to a fire department most likely all your belongings would be destroyed and you may even lose your life due to the toxic smoke from the fire. This country would be a hell hole without firefighters. I’m interested in being a fireman because when I was younger a firefighter lieutenant named Jeff Freeman would cut my hair every week. He showed me that money is good but it shouldn’t be the only reason why you want to do a specific job. He inspired me to become a fireman because I would spend a lot of time at the fire station and I loved the working environment because when the firefighters don’t have any calls they have a multitude of things they can do. Such as training, cooking, watching TV, playing games and washing the trucks. Mr. Freeman also inspired me by sharing his experiences with my brother and I. Some of them were brutal others were not, but all of them...
... middle of paper ...
... of the most populated and economically important American cities. The Chicago Fire Department had a crew of 185 firefighters with just 17 horse-drawn steam engines to protect the entire city. The initial response by the fire department was quick but a watchman named Matthias Schaffer made an error and sent the firefighters to the wrong location which allowed the fire to expand. The firefighters were tired from fighting numerous small fires and one large fire in the week before. These components combined to turn a small barn fire into a stupendous fire in hours. There were 100,000 people that were left homeless. There were 120 bodies that were recovered but the death toll may have been as high as 300. The county coroner speculated that an accurate count was impossible considering that some victims may have drowned or had been incinerated leaving no body remains.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Schindler’s List, Jaws, E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial, and Jurassic Park, notable movies all directed by the inspiring person; Steven Spielberg. He even produced the Transformers series. No one really knows who Steven Spielberg really is, however, everyone is familiar with the movies he has produced and directed. Steven Spielberg was born December 18, 1946 in Cincinnati, Ohio.2 “To deal with stress he would make movies which would be his shield against bullies at school, trouble at home, and any issues he dealt with.”1 He was the oldest child of three sisters.... [tags: movies, entertainment, inspiration]
718 words (2.1 pages)
- Some people have their entire life planned out from a young age. They know what they want to be when they grow up, and they work tirelessly to accumulate the knowledge and experience necessary to reach that goal. My path was to medicine was not so direct. When I was in kindergarten, I wanted to be a fireman. My first career aptitude test suggested a career in farming or transportation. My actual work history is almost comical: potato picking, grocery store bookkeeping, computer technician, sales management, insurance underwriting, healthcare human resources, and most recently, Uber driver.... [tags: Physician, Medicine, Medical school, Pediatrics]
703 words (2 pages)
- An Inspiration “Just try it. It couldn’t hurt to try,” my high-school advertising teacher constantly reminded me. Mrs. Panarelli wanted me to apply for a scholarship given by the business department in my school. I thought about all the other applicants; I had no chance whatsoever. I decided to express my feelings to her. In doing so I noticed a solemn look come across her face. I asked her what was wrong, and she said, “I don’t want you to be intimidated by the other students, their averages, or their SAT scores; this is a very good opportunity for you.” Finally, she convinced me to apply for it.... [tags: Personal Narrative Writing]
1173 words (3.4 pages)
- How do nice people become corrupted. Sometimes people may engage in corrupt activity because others around them are doing so. Those people may find it difficult to take a stand against the corrupt behavior even though they know it is wrong. Although every situation is unique, ordinary people can find themselves in situations where they are committing fraudulent crimes unbeknownst to themselves. Other times, people may find themselves in a different situation of committing crimes because a person of authority has asked them to participate in illegal activity.... [tags: Why People Become Corrupt]
1206 words (3.4 pages)
- Twelfth Night’s Inspiration and Consequenting Inspiration Stranded on the island of Illyria, Shakespeare’s Viola puts her hope in a plan to become the boy Cesario. Viola “Conceal me what I am, and be my aid For such disguise as haply shall become The form of my intent.” (Shakespeare Act I, scene ii, line 53) Disguise, masquerade, opposite of intention; in many ways, Shakespeare’s Twelfth Night is the authority on concealment. At the turn of the 16th century, the distinguished comedy depicts twins Viola and Sebastian lost at sea.... [tags: Literature, Fiction, Romeo and Juliet, Novel]
1734 words (5 pages)
- Orpheus, the son of the god Apollo and the Muse Calliope, a demigod with the power to play intensely emotive and beautiful music, has been a wide source of inspiration for many composers, librettists and writers through the ages. In this comparison, Orpheus serves as a paradigm in the construction of Opera, specifically from the time of Monteverdi, and how the art form has changed dramatically from then until the time of Glück. Orchestration, musical structure, and evolution of the characteristics of opera will be discussed, while focusing on one prominent piece from each opera that will be directly compared.... [tags: god, opera, music]
1273 words (3.6 pages)
- ... Tupac, one of Macklemore’s biggest inspirations, had a similar background. Tupac also struggled with drugs through most of his life having to fight the same uphill battle as Macklemore (Tupac 4). Tupac grew up in Oakland California and was raised in a family that faced financial difficulty. Like Macklemore, his past did not undermine his future, and both Macklemore’s and Tupac’s wills to be great overcame any adversity trying to stop them helping them become the great musicians they are today.... [tags: contemporary singers]
591 words (1.7 pages)
- The Morehead Inspiration Center is a residential recovery program, serving approximately 100 adult males, over the age of 18, that are seeking recovery from chronic alcohol or drug related addictions. The primary mission of the center is to strengthen the individual recovering from an addiction, support their families and to serve the community in which they reside. The Morehead Inspiration Center is one of ten across Kentucky that participates in the Recovery Kentucky Initiative, a not for profit organization, that was initially started by Governor Ernie Fletcher in 2005.... [tags: recovery program, addiction, drugs]
1116 words (3.2 pages)
- Toward Mary Shelley’s Experiences as a Mother that Lead Her to Write Frankenstein Frankenstein, which also known as The Modern Prometheus is the most famous novel written by a British writer named Mary Shelley. This book was published when Mary Shelley was nineteen years old. Even though she was very young when she started writing Frankenstein, she had exploded the British literature at that time. There is so much discussion about the inspiration that led Mary Shelley to write Frankenstein. From my point of view, I think that her unhappy experience as being a mother was the main factor that probably led her to write this story.... [tags: Classic Literature]
611 words (1.7 pages)
- Sculpture can date back to ancient times, from the Greeks and Romans to Bernini and Michelangelo. The art of sculpture is a record of human experience. It is the skill of producing in three dimensions representations of natural or imagined forms. It includes sculpture in the round, which can be viewed from any direction, as well as incised relief, in which the lines are cut into a flat surface. It captures war and religion as well as individuals and the abstract. People everywhere have found the need for sculpture, whether it is in work, play, or prayer.... [tags: Visual Arts]
768 words (2.2 pages)