Dr. Bevis, (circa 1949), University Hospital, Small Steps, by Peg Kehret
I read this book in 5th grade and still remember it as if I read the book yesterday. Little did I know, back then… that this was the first small step to what lead to my inspiration in choosing a future career. The motivation Peg received from Dr. Bevis was similar to that I received from Dr. Wayne, my pediatrician, when I would get sick and visit his office.
7th grade brought opportunity to discover more about medicine. Mrs. Barrett asked us to research an interesting careers. I picked pediatrics. I chose to tap into a first-hand experience by sitting down with Dr. Wayne. Every patient to him was like solving a Scooby Doo mystery. Sick kids were so young that, they could not always tell what was going on and parents were also at a loss for words. However, often times there were hints as to the illness. Arriving at a diagnosis from clues presented and then solving the mystery using science as a foundation became very appealing to me. The passionate way he explained medicine to me only motivated me to continue in his footsteps.
Taking Biomedical Science courses in high school, and volunteering at a local free health care clinic for the underprivileged, taking their vitals, and seeing them progressively get better as they visited week after week gave me a sense of satisfaction that I had chosen the right path for my future. Opportunities to shadow several doctors in Cardiology, Orthopedics, Neurosurgery, Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Rheumatology, and of course, Pediatrics in their clinics and surgery came along the way.Volunteering at our local hospital, fu...
... middle of paper ...
... my favorite clubs – Mu Alpha Theta (Math National Honors Society) into prominence, as its Vice-President. I am looking forward to another great year!
Having also been accepted to Biomedical Internship program, a first of its kind between my school and Arlington Memorial Hospital, I am super thrilled to work with professionals at the hospitals behind the scenes in all departments throughout this year and learn as much as I can as to how the flow works with various coordinated interactions within several departments, labs, nurses, physicians, surgeons, technicians from the time patients enter the hospital and as they go through various stages of treatment whether it be in the emergency room, pre-operative room, operating room, post-operative recovery and finally discharge. I’m sure, it will be an experience that will further help me prepare towards my ultimate goal.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- I have always wanted to go to university, somewhere busy, that excites me and where every day there is something innovative to do or see. I want to go to university to experience life in a city, meet new people and be inspired by everything around me and reflect this in my work. I chose to study English Language, as I have consistently enjoyed writing for a variety of purposes and studying how language can be used. Continuing this through university will build upon my skills and style as a writer.... [tags: career, education, fashion,]
600 words (1.7 pages)
- Canadian women have been overlooked throughout the history of our country. Though we have made many contributions to our political landscape and media industry, these achievements are often overshadowed by the accomplishments of our male counterparts. In my future career as a political journalist, I will bring women’s issues to the forefront of our nation’s agenda through multiple avenues. Over the next four years, I will be earning a Bachelor of Communications at Mount Royal University. Majoring in Broadcast Media Studies and minoring in Political Science, I will study the history of media in our country as well as the changing political landscape and the effect of world events upon that... [tags: Mass media, Broadcasting, Sociology]
930 words (2.7 pages)
- ... Tupac, one of Macklemore’s biggest inspirations, had a similar background. Tupac also struggled with drugs through most of his life having to fight the same uphill battle as Macklemore (Tupac 4). Tupac grew up in Oakland California and was raised in a family that faced financial difficulty. Like Macklemore, his past did not undermine his future, and both Macklemore’s and Tupac’s wills to be great overcame any adversity trying to stop them helping them become the great musicians they are today.... [tags: contemporary singers]
591 words (1.7 pages)
- Cell phones become extremely important for peoples on a daily basis. Not only because of its function of texting, being a calendar, notebook but also of its symbolic meaning of modernization. Recently A prevailing debate over whether the student could use their phone in the classroom leads teachers and parents concerning about what is the propitiate line for the mobile device usage in school. It is important for young people to embrace the modern technology. However, to the underage students, mobile phone could be an invisible killer of their future career.... [tags: Mobile phone, Personal digital assistant]
1119 words (3.2 pages)
- Business leaders implore inspiration from everyone especially the young folk who have future business prospects. The success aura that surrounds what their lives can partly be attributed to the fact that some people immortalize them. How they handle themselves and the strides they make in business environment leaves a lot to be admired. Therefore, many people will always be curious about these leaders and would want to follow in their footsteps. Therefore, in this project, I will be examining my business role model.... [tags: Management, Leadership, Jeff Bezos, Amazon.com]
1454 words (4.2 pages)
- From his beginnings in a little town in Wisconsin, the rise of a great architect commenced his journey. No one has attained his level of expertise in the architectural field. Frank Lloyd Wright’s accomplishments are unmatched, was inspired by natural and simplistic designs, and his career flourished by his ingenuity. Early on in his career, in the United States, gave Frank Lloyd Wright a varied amount of experiences. He was employed be Louis Sullivan for the architecture firm in Chicago by the name of Adler and Sullivan.... [tags: Biography, American, Great Architect]
936 words (2.7 pages)
- ... At first, her parents opposed her decision to become a nurse (Joel, 2006). That did not stop Nightingale from fulfilling her purpose and goals. Before she could achieve those merits, she went through the Crimean war. Many soldiers died, it must have been devastating for a nurse at the time to endure that amount of soldiers dying daily. Soldiers not only died from gunshots, but also from infections contracted from highly unsanitary environments. There was not even an appropriate and efficient triage system in place at the time.... [tags: wounded, medical, inspiration]
724 words (2.1 pages)
- “The worst is then you wrote something that was really funny and the next day you read it and you’re like, huh?” Donita K. Paul is the author of the Chril Chronicles, DragonKeeper Series, as well as seventeen other novels and picture books combined. To shed some light on Ms. Paul’s background, for starters, the K. in her patented name stands for Kathleen. She was born in Lawrence, Kansas, and went to college at the University of Houston where her father worked as a professor. Due to her background teaching in both private and public schools, she homeschooled her own children.... [tags: writing, author, teaching, stories, relationships]
666 words (1.9 pages)
- As a young child, many of the actions done and the exposure shown to one can greatly influence what they want to be in the future. They build dreams and create lifestyles in their head that they want to live in the future. With all that at a young age, children begin to pursue what they want to do and begin getting the education they desire to get what they want. With time, the researcher will have a clear thought of what they want their life to consist of. The researcher is going to pursue the career of a business marketer because of their background, their need of being a self employed person, and simply the realization that the researcher can achieve their goal in real time.... [tags: Marketing, Need, Economics, Business]
1291 words (3.7 pages)
- During the course of my college career I have discovered that it takes more than just completing assignments and attending classes to be a student worthy of the instruction one receives from a professor. It takes dedication, ethics, and a drive that comes from within to be a leader. One that others in the student population can look up to and model their academic career like; one that professors are pleased to have in their class. It has been my goal these years to be a student like this, and I have kept my drive towards this achievement action orientated at all times.... [tags: Learning, University, Teacher, Education]
1090 words (3.1 pages)