From the introduction, the book set the scene with Ann Dunwoody beginning to deliver a speech to an audience before she accepted her promotion as a 4 star general. She then flashbacks to an earlier time in her life where she first began delivering speeches. This intro symbolizes her growth to what she was to what she is now. She has gone through an incomprehensible struggle but that never stopped her achieving her ultimate goal as becoming the first female 4 star general. When she described how she stumbled in her orders and citations for the promotion and award ceremony it represented all the obstacles she would face throughout her military career (Dunwoody, 2015, p.4). Her stumbling on her words would equalize to her having complications either in her professional career or her personal life. Later after her order and citation, she made her way down to her battalion commander to face her chastisement but it wasn 't what she expected at all. Her battalion commander was merciful towards her and even said “Next...
... middle of paper ...
...terial Command and I was one of the most influential senior female in high school. Moreover, my perspective on leadership has changed since the beginning of the semester is that there is always room to grow and learn more to be a powerful leader.
Be very persistent with your ideas especially if you 're a minority otherwise you would be looked over and stepped upon. Be weary of Janus-facers and detractors (Dunwoody, 2015, p.117). We should know how to recognize them because they may be the very reason of our fall. Have a diverse group of people on your team so you can have different angles to solve your problem.
On the whole aspect, after reading this book of leadership strategies I have expanded my wealth of knowledge on how to be a capable leader. Also, how to allow people to help me get to where I need to go and avoid those that want to obstruct my path to success.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- In the United States most students can expect to pay above premium prices when enrolling for college classes. This explains why one of the first aspects prospective students contemplate is finding an institution that is affordable. When examining the strengths of the College of Central Florida it is evident that there are three crucial proponents that contribute to its superiority, in comparison to its counterparts. First, by implementing a cost leadership strategy not only is the tuition at the College of Central Florida feasible, but it is classified as one of the cheapest colleges to attend in the state of Florida.... [tags: University, Student, Florida, Education]
961 words (2.7 pages)
- ... Onizuka, and payload specialist Gregory B. Jarvis. On January 28th, 1986, it was the coldest day that NASA had ever attempted to launch a manned spacecraft. In fact, it was 36 degrees Fahrenheit, it was nearly 15 degrees colder than any previous launch temperature. Lift-off time for the Challenger flight 51-L had been delayed twice that morning, all operations and systems seemed to be under control. An "ice" team had been sent to the launch pad to clear the clear the remaining ice from the launch pad.... [tags: space shuttle chandler, launch]
888 words (2.5 pages)
- When one thinks of the word predator, they may think of an animal that targets the weaker animal and destroys it. One may not think of the human predators that walk the streets in our community’s everyday. Every state has laws against predatory behavior, and Florida is out front leading the way. They have the strictest laws and harshest punishments in the nation. To understand what these laws are and what exactly is a sexual predator one must look a little deeper into the topic. In the state of Florida and individual that is found guilty of a sexual crime can be classified in one of two categories, a sexual offender or a sexual predator.... [tags: Sex offender, Human sexual behavior]
1246 words (3.6 pages)
- As the new Assistant Director of the First Year Experience office I am creating a plan to assess and improve the retention and student success on our campus. When creating a committee for any task, big or small, one has to be incredibly careful to not leave anyone out. The primary reasons being that missing an important stakeholder can create a gap in the planning process, and that by not inviting certain stakeholders you can burn bridges. For an initiative that can affect the student population and that requires a cohesive and comprehensive campus-wide partnership there are going to be many committee members.... [tags: University, College, Student, Academia]
2071 words (5.9 pages)
- Throughout my high school career, my main focus was maintaining a high grade point average in rigorous college level classes. I dedicated several hours each day to every course that I took to ensure that I was comfortable with the material I learned. As Vince Lombardi Jr. once said, every job is a self-portrait of the person who did it, and we all should autograph our work with excellence. I consider that having a positive attitude and working hard is essential to be successful. Although I spent most of my time studying, I was able to get involved in any extracurricular activities such as the Brown Book Club as well as compete in the National Book Club Competition among other high schools al... [tags: High school, University, Study abroad, Education]
709 words (2 pages)
- In a classroom you have to be very organized you need to have routines and procedures thoroughly. A study has shown that kids follow routines better than doing something different every day. Whether a students are in a gym class to a chemistry class as a teacher you need to use an everyday routine to stay organized. Students should be taught the routine and the procedures in the first two weeks of the school year. When a teacher stops teaching the routine and procedures it’s because they think the students get the hang of it and know it’s an everyday thing.... [tags: High school, Education, Middle school]
1085 words (3.1 pages)
- Florida’s students at all levels are feeling the crunch with education spending levels down and worse performance on standardized tests. When Governor Rick Scott took office, he proposed nearly $3.3 billion in cuts to education (Bousquet & McGrory, 2014). Spending money on education is significant for teacher development, added resources to students, and facility improvements that are necessary to ensure students’ success. Florida’s educational system is changing at all levels; therefore, I have provided some insight and recommendations on improvements that need to take place.... [tags: school reform ]
973 words (2.8 pages)
- Leadership Lessons Standard 1 of the Florida Principal Leadership Standards (2011) describe the priority of the school leader as, “effective school leaders demonstrate that the student learning is their top priority through leadership actions that build and support a learning organization focus on student success”. Our number one priority and focus is and always should be our students. They are the reason behind our professions. It is the faculty the ones who should be supported by the administrators.... [tags: Teacher, Education, Substitute teacher]
1162 words (3.3 pages)
- The Florida Manatee is actually a subspecies of the West Indian manatee and is a member of the class: Mammalia, order: Sirenia, family: Trichediae and has the scientific name; Trichechus manatus latirostris. These massive animals are native, "from the mid-Atlantic region of the United States, throughout the Caribbean Sea and the Gulf of Mexico, south to coastal parts of northeastern and central-eastern South America" (“West Indian Manatee). These massive aquatic animals may live to be older than 50 years, and reach their sexual maturity at three to five years and only produce a single calf every other year.... [tags: Stomach, Digestion, Digestive system, Duodenum]
1525 words (4.4 pages)
- 2021FNLSM01A 7/18/01 Page 1 ACG 2021 FINAL EXAM SUMMER 2001 NAME _____________________________________ SS# ____________________________ Instructions: NOW: Bubble in your section number on your Scan Sheet. Fill in your name and social security number on this examination and your scan sheet. 1. Listen carefully for any comments your proctor may have related to the exam. Read these instructions carefully. Failure to do so may result in your losing points. 2. This exam consists of 60 multiple-choice questions, each worth two points for a total of 120 points.... [tags: UFL Florida Business Accounting]
4689 words (13.4 pages)