When school started again, I was not very happy about it at all. I would have to see my ex-boyfriend everyday with his new girlfriend. I tried not to let it bother me, but I couldn’t help it. I spent my time alone during lunch reading or writing pieces about the things I dealt with that day in school and about the boy who spun me into this writing frenzy. My classes, for the most part, were not very interesting and I had lost all interest in being at school. My English class was a writing class and the only class that seemed at all appealing. The teacher, Mrs. F, seemed really nice and I thought that it could be a fun semester.
We were given assignments to write about, but, for a change, the topics we were given were interesting . I was used to writing about Willy Loman, the pathetic hero, and Hester Pryne. Mrs. F gave us topics that I could become engaged with and I actually wanted to do a good job, not just get the assignment done as quickly and as painlessly as possible. The choices we were given for our papers included “solitude versus loneliness”, “never again”, and “learning from failure.” At that time in my life, I could have written epics about all ...
... middle of paper ...
...ry new things in my work and in my life. I truly admire her and her way of teaching. I am seriously thinking about becoming a teacher because of my experiences in her classes. If I could do for one person what she did for me, then I would feel like I had done my job well. The things I learned in her class have stayed with me and influenced many of the things I have since done in my writing and personally. She taught me how to use writing to understand my own problems, which was the first step for me as a writer. I now try to use writing to illustrate the problems of others and the strange situations people are put into in this culture. Without her influence in my life, I may never have had some of the truly enlightening experiences of my academic life, the ones I am sure to encounter as I continue to develop my writing, and the ones I hope to experience as a teacher.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- “Mr. Odis influenced many students at Heartly High School. Students loved going to his class. He gave good advice and helped all his students the best way he could. Mr. Odis was a man that believed in William Durant statement ‘Education is the transmission of civilization.’ He was an old high school history teacher. He was tall, muscular, and dark skinned almost as if he was the color of the midnight sky. He had a shaky voice, which gave the impression to some students and teachers that he was afraid to talk.... [tags: teacher, student]
640 words (1.8 pages)
- With Bibles in the desks and a smile on his face, Mr. Murphy was ready to teach. He taught us about our faith and God. He made it sounds like no other teacher has before. I was very excited for day two. Ever since then, Mr. Murphy has inspired me and helped me grow intellectually. Mr. Murphy is the religion teacher for juniors and seniors at St. Thomas Aquinas High School. My first year with him was like a time to grasp our thoughts on our personal faith and beliefs. He was introducing us to a whole new way of learning.... [tags: essay about myself, Personal Experience]
554 words (1.6 pages)
- At every point of my life, I have two types of education. Schools offer me the basic knowledge of how to make a living, and the other is my father who teaches me how to live. I once questioned myself about the importance of education in school, five minutes later there were a list of things on my mind…..having new friends, learn how to do the Maths, learn Thai history, learn English and…….well, learn how to sing national anthem correctly. I totally agree that those things as mentioned are important factors in people’s lives.... [tags: essays research papers]
646 words (1.8 pages)
- Ever since kindergarten, I have always been interested in physical education. Physical education (P.E) has always been my favorite class in school because that it has to do with physical exercise and being physically fit. The purpose of this research is to first define physical education. Then, I will explore the history of P.E. In the following section, I will compare and contrast the PE curriculum from past to present. Next, a description of the schooling requirements to become a physical education teacher will be given.... [tags: sports, health, wellness, teaching]
1157 words (3.3 pages)
- He is the six-foot-four, two hundred and forty pound giant. The type of man who can get McDonald’s breakfast after 10:30 A.M. The chap who kept a large wooden paddle with the phrase, ‘But I mean it in a kind way,’ emblazoned on the front on display in the back of his classroom. The educator who hacked up students, that didn’t have their speeches prepared for the day they were assigned, into tiny, insignificant pieces with a butter knife as an example to other students. The only human on earth who can defeat Chuck Norris from Walker, Texas Ranger and Kiefer Sutherland from 24 in hand-to-hand combat simultaneously.... [tags: How My Teacher Helped Me]
524 words (1.5 pages)
- ... For me, my mommy is the gorgeous women of all. You offer a lot of physical description here. Consider whether you need all of it. You might be more successful focusing on a few of the most prominent features, to create a distinct image of her. The action that she portrays is sweet and kind. When she walks, she moves as a warrior prepared for the battle. The nature of my mommy is pleasant and affectionate, but when she is angry is a strong character. In some occasions she gets mad but not all the time.... [tags: beautiful, sweet and kind, ESL teacher assistant]
670 words (1.9 pages)
- My favorite season of the year is summer because of the warm weather, the school vacation, and the endless fun. I really enjoy the warm weather because it’s the perfect atmosphere to do outdoor activities. My favorite part about summer has to be the fact that school is closed for two months. During summer, you’re free to do whatever you want, not worrying about curfew or waking up early for school. Summer time is a great time to relax with friends and family by soaking up the sun at a beach or simply having dinner together.... [tags: Favorite Season, Descriptive]
524 words (1.5 pages)
- Morals of Ode on the Death of a Favorite Cat (Favourite) It is very difficult to understand what a writer mean when they write a poem, because you have to get in to a frame of mind that you think the writer was in when they composed the poem. In the Ode on the Death of a Favourite Cat, Drowned in a Tub of Gold Fishes, Thomas Gray uses a cat and fish to teach a moral. In the Ode on the Death of a Favourite Cat, Drowned in a Tub of Gold Fishes the setting was set in the first stanza. The poem gave you an idea that it took place in a very nice house that had a large china vase, that held water, also it give the allusion that in this vase were flowers and fish.... [tags: Ode to the Death of a Favorite Cat Essays]
662 words (1.9 pages)
- Formalistic Approach Ode to the Death of a Favorite Cat (Favourite) In Thomas Gray's poem "Ode on the Death of a Favorite Cat," we find many examples of the Formalistic Approach. In this poem, we find numerous examples of alliteration, rhyme scheme, puns, and creative word choice. This poem is very joyful and fun to read because the author is very creative in his choice of words and phrases. In the first stanza, we figure out where this event is taking place or in other words, we find out the setting.... [tags: Ode to the Death of a Favorite Cat Essays]
698 words (2 pages)
- ... We walked to our separate lockers and I unpacked my jacket and bag inside it. I took my boots off and wore my indoor shoes instead. I walked inside Mr. Jackson’s room and I noticed all of the trumpet cases were gone. This must have meant a lot of students were coming in for BOPS today. I looked at the line and noticed almost 14 students waiting in line to play music to him. I decided to do some theory on music instead. At 8:45 we had to line up for our classes and since it was a day 5, I knew we were going to have history first.... [tags: personal narrative]
642 words (1.8 pages)