Throughout the semester I had the honor of volunteering to tutor at Oasis Católico Santa Rafaela for both of my education classes. Words cannot even begin to explain how much I learned and how grateful I am that I got to spend a semester with the children. I was able to tutor 2nd grade and I loved every single minute of it. Throughout my time at Oasis I learned so much that I will be able to take on to my teaching career and it had made me view education in a completely different way.
Oasis Católico Santa Rafaela
At Oasis I tutored 2nd grade. The other tutors and I would come to Oasis before 2:30pm and head to our classrooms; I would walk over to the 2nd grade trailer. In the room I was in, we had five tables; all of the tables had seats for four children and up to two tutors. The purpose of Oasis is to give these children a little extra help. The children would come there after school and the other tutors and I would help them with their homework along with other activities already prepared for us such as social studies and math activities. The families within this community are Hispanic and the children’s parents do not speak much English. One of our responsibilities as tutors was to make sure that our students were using proper English and we helped them with writing English.
I was mainly with the same table the entire semester. I had three girls and one boy at my table. I noticed a lot about my children. They all had different personalities but the gender differences were easy to define. When the three girls wanted to discuss any incidents or drama that happened at school that day the boy completely zoned out, he would diligently read his book I had laid out for him before they had gotten off of the bus. H...
... middle of paper ...
...ttled down. They had been in school all day long and the last thing a 2nd grader wants to do is sit down and work on more school work. I would really use motivators and incentives to keep them settled. If it was a nice day outside I would have them write me a story about what they wanted to do at recess and draw me a picture. Things like that would keep them occupied for an amount of time but it was really difficult some days, especially when it rained multiple days in a row.
Ultimately, I adored this community and I plan on returning to continue to tutor next semester. The sisters and the students in this community have a place in my heart now and I really enjoyed going and learning so much more than I thought possible. This experience will carry on throughout my teaching career and it has helped me grow as a person and as a future educator in more ways than one.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Executive Summary Oasis bicycles is a Taiwan based company that designs and sells a variety of bicycles for both road and mountains. It is spread across four continents and also a good example of a global company. It is considered as one of the largest bicycle manufacturing company with sales around $800 million. Almost 93 percent of which comes from outside Taiwan. Oasis bicycle also faces new challenges everyday due to the change in bicycle industry and major factors affecting the macro-economic scenario.... [tags: Oasis Bicycles Case Study]
2700 words (7.7 pages)
- Oasis Bicycles is a Taiwan based company which designs and sells a variety of bicycles for road as well as mountains. Due to its presence in four continents, it is considered as a good example of a global company. It is considered as one of the largest bicycle manufacturing company with sales of around US $800 million. About 93 percent of which comes from outside Taiwan. According to its CEO, “Because of the small market for bicycles in Taiwan, we don’t have any other choice– we have to be a global company.... [tags: Oasis Bicycles Case Study]
1572 words (4.5 pages)
- Surrounded to the East by Limestone walls and stretching its arm northward to pad at Lake Okeechobee the Everglades cover nearly 4,000 miles of the southern Florida peninsula. Primarily consisting of marshes and sloughs the area is home to a range of environments as well as a rich biodiversity. The true wonder of the everglades however is its age. Only 5,000 years ago the area was vastly different and timidly arid. The unpredictable climate and geologic change has been creating this once in a lifetime oasis that could soon be gone.... [tags: miami limestone, visitors, flood]
1117 words (3.2 pages)
- The Jimi Hendrix Experience’s first album, Are You Experienced, is undeniably one of the most influential albums of all time. For a debut record, it achieved many milestones and influenced many artists, fans, and consumers alike. Are You Experienced changed music in many ways, including the way it was artistically presented and how the band used technology at that time. The record is extremely creative. Most agree that the record is timeless and will never grow old. Are You Experienced is truly the definition of an evergreen album.... [tags: Are You Experienced Album]
3021 words (8.6 pages)
- The site that I have chosen to investigate is the Dakhleh Oasis Project (DOP). This is a continuing study of a region that is located within an enclosed area in the Dakhleh Oasis. This oasis is located in the western desert of Egypt but the project also includes the all-inclusive area of the Paleoasis. The period of time that is being examined is from the Middle Pleistocene, when the first arrival of humans occurred to this area approximately 400,000 years ago to present–day oasis farmers. The studies occurring in this area include all of the activity of humans and the varying environmental changes that have occurred over this period of time.... [tags: child rearing, religion and burial practices]
1434 words (4.1 pages)
- Around the world,, there are those who don’t have access to food, shelter or even clothes. Although most people wouldn't lift a finger to help the situation, the work of Caritas, Oasis and the Brotherhood of St. Laurence has a major impact on the lives of these people and although they may come from different denominations, they still work towards a common goal: helping all those in need. Their work reflects the teachings of the New Testament as well as the Catholic Social teachings, this essay will have a look at how they do that.... [tags: Education, Teens]
657 words (1.9 pages)
- Attending the Olympics is a pursuit both aggravating and exhilarating. This paradox characterized my experience of the games. There will always be more exciting events to attend, but that does not diminish the intense allure of the biggest party in the world, whether or not there is anything to enjoy in it. The Vancouver Olympic events both sporting and cultural were characterized by agonizingly long lines, hyper-dense crowds, and expensive, often unobtainable tickets. While the list of free activities offered in the lower mainland warranted its own guidebook, those partaking in these events deserved a gold medal in waiting.... [tags: Personal Experience]
1275 words (3.6 pages)
- To experience a new religion is to open one's mind to an entirely new world. For my World Religions course, I was asked to visit a place of worship for a religion other than what I was most used to. Upon considering being raised as a Pentacostal Christian, the first idea that came to me after hearing this was for Billy and I to go with our friend Arjun's family to a Hindu temple—since Arjun had moved away recently to go to college however, he was unable to attend. On Sunday, February 21, Billy and I joined Arjun's father in his trip to the Hindu temple in Orlando—we had to wake up earlier than usual for a Sunday but it was for good cause.... [tags: Personal Experience]
714 words (2 pages)
- When one thinks of rock and roll there is a whole list of adjectives to describe a band. The groups can go from laid back to an in your face, ultra loud show of shows. There are many differences in rock bands and none is greater than the deviation between Oasis and Dave Matthews Band. From upbringing to influences, the differences are represented in the music and those who live for it. They might be under the same category but there are very few comparisons that are so far apart. Oasis is the foremost representative of a working class band.... [tags: essays research papers]
474 words (1.4 pages)
- Nearly seven years ago, when I started working for the local DirecTV installation company, it wasn’t exactly a dream come true. I had the aptitude for it, having worked previously as a home theatre installer back in Kansas City, but this job was much easier by comparison. What made this job less than desirable were the hot attics, damp crawlspaces where I wasn’t always the only thing crawling around and the loose eaves near ideal dish mounting locations that were often home to swarms of hornets.... [tags: Personal Experience, Autobiography]
1222 words (3.5 pages)