As a child, I remember my family consisted of the following: my mom, grandma, grandpa, aunts, and uncles. The madness and hysteria of living in an Italian and Irish household can be difficult to put into words, but I wouldn 't have them any other way. It was hard for me to think about the word "family" without thinking about the dinners that might as well have been potlucks, and the way that when anyone entered a room, they were smothered to death with hugs and embraces. My grandpa always wore this cheap cologne that would bury itself deep into the fibers of my clothing whenever he hugged me. It’s a funny thought that this six-foot-tall Italian man married my four-foot-tall grandma. My grandma is the funniest and sweetest lady you will ever meet, and she piled all of that sweetness into her own cooking. It always surprised me how she managed to cook dinner for her husband, six children, grandchildren, and myself. My grandma is honestly Superwoman. My mom didn 't just raise me; my family did. This is why the thought of even having a father was foreign to me. My mom got engaged to my step dad and at first, I wasn 't happy about the idea. Naturally, I complained about it to my friends. They alw...
... middle of paper ...
.... The address was clear as day. I searched the address on Google Maps and it popped up a block away from his previous arrest. I had finally found him.
To this day, I struggle with the the question, "Should I go meet him?". I don 't want all of this work to go to waste, and I don 't want him to pop off the grid again. My friends consistantly tell me I 'm crazy, but what they don 't understand is that this was never about them. This experience was about my own closure. My experience with Alien Man has given me some personal insight, and I have come to realize that I have some qualities that i never knew existed. When things get difficult, I don 't just run away and hide. I take my problems head on and run with them. And I 've also come to realize I wont ever neglect my responsibilities. I 'm nothing like Alien Man, and I 'm proud of that.
*names have been changed
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Facebook: A friend or a foe. As technology progress, humans evolve to the advanced technology and enhance our lives via technology. We connect to our families, friends and others through social media such as Facebook. Social media takes up a huge part in our lives. Social media infest us with information that is significant and insignificant to us. In the journalist Maria Konnikova’s article “How Facebook makes us unhappy?”, Konnikova divulges many aspects of people on social media through researching and experience, and finds how social makes us unhappy.... [tags: Facebook, Social network service, Web 2.0]
1296 words (3.7 pages)
- I remember when my cousin introduced me to Myspace. I became obsessed with this website because it allowed me to find all of my friends from school. I could look at their pictures, their favorite song, which of their “top 10” friends were, and I could also message them. To me this was the most wonderful thing I had ever seen. I would pray I could get home sooner just to log on and see if I had missed any important post or if I had any new messages from friends. It was until a friend introduced me to Facebook that I realized Myspace wasn’t as great as I thought it was.... [tags: Mobile phone, Text messaging, Facebook]
1833 words (5.2 pages)
- The amount of negativity on Facebook and Twitter is ridiculous. On Facebook, the attacks tend to be on actors, politicians, athletes, and anyone else in the media at the moment that is currently garnering attention. The amount of negative posts right now towards both presidential hopefuls is overwhelming. It is shared articles as well as people posting comments that feel that their negative comments will somehow sway people to vote for the candidate that they approve of. I’ve already seen many people pleading with their Facebook friends to stop the political posts.... [tags: Twitter, Social media, Facebook, Attack!]
706 words (2 pages)
- Facebook was causing problems for University IT departments long before it was ever called Facebook. In 2003, Zuckerberg created an Am I Hot or Not. application on his facemash.com site and was accused of “breaching security, violating copyrights and violating individual privacy” (Kaplan, 2003). So it isn’t surprising that Mitrano, the Director of IT Policy and Computer Policy & Law at Cornell seeks to warn the Cornell student body of possible consequences of irresponsible use of Facebook in the article Thoughts on Facebook.... [tags: Social Networking, Social Media]
676 words (1.9 pages)
- Facebook is considered to be a website that allows people to connect with one another without picking up the telephone or texting them. To many this is a harmless website to keep in touch with friends that they were once close with, and have now drifted away from. Or possibly even a family member who lives across the country and plans to come home for the upcoming holidays. But with these harmless connections, Facebook comes with some serious potential dangers that the website does not clearly announce when registering to become a member.... [tags: The Cons of Facebook]
1368 words (3.9 pages)
- One day I travelled in Italy, in there I met my new friend Patricia. She asked me if I had Facebook. This is my first time to heard Facebook, Since Facebook was blocked in China.I asked my friend what Facebook was. She told me that Facebook was a social media to contact with friends and make new friend. She asked me to create a new account in Facebook. I said:" Ok, I will create it right now." After creating Facebook, I liked chatting with friends in the messenger, sharing my life with my friends, reading interesting posts.... [tags: Facebook, Privacy, Privacy law]
1663 words (4.8 pages)
- I am becoming the person that I want to become. Growing up as a kid, I didn’t really have a lot. My parents grew up in the country of Ghana, which is located in Africa. The life that they had there was not the best, especially for my mom. My mom was treated like a slave basically. Whatever the people in the household said, was to be done without questioning them. Life for her wasn’t rainbow and unicorns as to say. I don’t know too much about my dad’s life in Ghana, but I’m pretty sure that it was a lot better compared to my mother.... [tags: High school, Middle school, College]
1983 words (5.7 pages)
- While I was growing up in South Oak Cliff there are a lot of things that can happen. To me it’s just another day, but for other’s people their just living in a fantasy. The only thing is, not everyone sees a person getting shot in front of them, and especially if that person is your best friend’s dad. Now that is something you won’t see every day, but I’m positive that they’re people who have seen family or close friends taken from them in a blink of an eye. The worst part of seeing family and friends crying is the guilt they have .The terrible thought of my best friend passing dad are is leaving them behind, because they weren’t able to do, or say something before that person was gone, not... [tags: Family, Mother, English-language films]
746 words (2.1 pages)
- The digital age has been developing faster than anyone would have imagined. The internet with the help of advanced technology has helped people maintain relationships from real life to online relationships. Facebook is but one example of this. Facebook has opened doors to maintaining relationships with family members who may live across the world, friends who are living across the country, and professional relationships. Although Facebook has given another way of creating and maintaining relationships, it does not always diminish the feelings of alienation or anomie that face-to-face relationships help with.... [tags: Facebook, Social network service, Sociology]
1267 words (3.6 pages)
- Facebook is one of the greatest popular social media software nowadays. It is online social software which is founded in February 2004 by Harvard student Mark Zuckerberg. People everywhere can recognize and interact with new friends from different countries, ages, cultures, languages and nationalities. In addition, Facebook users can share information about themselves, actions and adventure, leisure activities, etc. Also, you can download music, pictures and movies. Like other entertainment software the Facebook has positive and negative effects which affect teenage social behaviour.... [tags: Mark Zuckerberg, friend interaction]
1141 words (3.3 pages)