This ‘copycat’ theme also led me to finally name my character, if he gained inspiration for his modus operandi from well-known murderers – surely he would do the same to name himself? I originally wrote that he would simply go by the name of ‘Jack’ this is not only a reference to histories most notorious serial-killer, but also a play on words for jack-of-all-trades. I wanted a name that would resonate with the target audience and possibly create an internet ‘buzz’, with the theme of social media being so strong throughout my text the name could easily become a twitter-handle so I prefixed it with an At-sign.
With the added credence given to my fictional acts I felt comfortable in removing the majority of the autobiographical elements, whilst still being able to hold onto the sense of realism I wanted to portray. I wanted my character to still refer to his life before he began these murders, this would help to give my character depth and show the reader tha...
... middle of paper ...
...med Jack, but ultimately this took away from the character I had originally set out to portray, and I felt this would work better if I were to use this storyline as a red-herring.
For future development I would further elaborate on the details of Jack’s killings. I felt I chose the most interesting victims to emphasise that helped to project the narrative of this story, I believe my character has a very ‘real’ voice and is consistent in his actions and reactions. I think it would be interesting to develop his childhood more, and this is an area I will work on further without the restricted word-count. Based on the feedback I received throughout this project my narrative took a different turn on my original proposed project, however I felt the changes I have made – and the suggestions I chose to omit, have improved the over-all narrative of my text.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Most importantly, and Geese’s signature technique, we note the metaphor of lifting the mask throughout the performance. In a performance, the mask represents a ‘front’ that offenders present to the outside world. While the mask is down, the character presents external, presenting behaviour. The mask is a metaphor to show coping strategies, defines mechanisms, and may explain their impulses to offend. Ellie presents this when interacting with other characters in Journey Woman. During the performance the audience are encouraged to ask the character to lift their mask.... [tags: Emotion, Anxiety, Diary, Performance]
1611 words (4.6 pages)
- Do you ever feel trapped when you are in a place that you have never been before. Isolation criticizes society since it does not let everyone be equal or have the same rights. Isolation can completely change a person, and it is usually for the worst. Society “acts” like they try to prevent isolation, but in reality they isolate people for certain reasons, then those people get judged for being “different.” Upon closer inspection it is human nature to deny equal rights because people that do not act, dress, or look the same are labeled as strange, and unfortunately, many times are not accepted by the majority of society.... [tags: analysis, I only came to use the phone]
860 words (2.5 pages)
- In the children’s novel Diary of a Wimpy, Jeff Kinney presents to readers a teenage boy Greg Heffley, who is ultimately struggling with his identity in school, aspiring to reach as high as he possibly can on the population scale. This is achieved through literary elements such as exploring theme, characterisation and style to elaborate on the internal struggle of being his ‘true’ self or ‘acting cool’ to increase his reputation. Kinney uses multiple themes that are very explicit throughout the book.... [tags: Nazi Germany, World War II, Diary of a Wimpy Kid]
1007 words (2.9 pages)
Reflection of Cannibalistic Societies through Diary of a Madman And the Correlation to Today's Society
- The meager image depicted by Lu Xun's 'Diary of a Madman' projects an illustration of society that stresses submission to authority, and the ultimate compliance to tradition. Lu Xun battles the idea that society is constantly being manipulated and controlled by the masses of people who know no better than to follow tradition. His story 'Diary of a Madman' gives the representation of a culture that has not only failed, but failed by the cannibalistic nature of humans corrupting them-selves over and over again therefore feeding upon themselves.... [tags: Diary of a Madman Essays]
1677 words (4.8 pages)
- The Metamorphosis of Anne in The Diary of Anne Frank A young girl, Anneliese Marie Frank, receives an empty jar of a diary for her thirteenth birthday, amidst much political strife in her new home country of Netherlands. As a German-born Jew in hiding, Anne will eventually fill her diary with over 2 years of experiences of the Secret Annex. Initially, she makes use of her newfound outlet to exhibit her growing interest to become a writer. The diary, for Anne, acts as her personal confidante before her family goes into hiding, and becomes even more valued to her during their ordeal.... [tags: Diary of Anne Frank Essays]
1234 words (3.5 pages)
- Scarlet Letter Diary Entries Entry 1 I have arrived at my new home. The boat trip was very rough, even to the extent of making me lose track of time. That unclean, floating mass of death was merciful enough to let me be. Too many children have suffered and died on the way to America. I miss Roger a little bit, and hope he comes soon. I'm very lonely and I don't know what I'll do to keep myself busy. Roger was nice enough to give me money to live off of until he comes to be with me. There are a lot of handsome men around here.... [tags: The Scarlet Letter Diary Hester Prynne Essays]
795 words (2.3 pages)
- Diary of Reactions How did I, personally, react to the material presented in the workbook dedicated to recovering from Sexual Abuse. Personally, I, have never gone through any trauma that can be as deeply associated with most types of abuse, and would say that I have lived a good life, over all, so then, how can I react to any of the things presented in the Workbook at all, if not with mild contempt for abusers, or a panging sympathy for the people who have actually had to deal with such themes in their life.... [tags: English-language films, Emotion, American films]
968 words (2.8 pages)
- “I wanted to leave a message on the wall by the altar, tacked alongside all the other hopeful requests so that even if I never returned to Tarumi, something of me would remain (209).” Autumn, Monday 10th Dear diary, As the end of my stay in Tarumi grows closer, “…I was overcome by a feeling of nostalgia… (185).” I have begun to reflect on the changes I went through in my stay in Tarumi. It was as if I had been given new eyes and well…a complete new thought process. However I believe that Tarumi is just a place, a village by the beach, which has no power to enlighten.... [tags: Creative Writing Examples]
1210 words (3.5 pages)
- Bookreport on The Spy Who Came This story, set during the cold war, is about a British spy, Leamas, who is controlling the spy actions against the east block (or “zone”) from West-Berlin. After he lost one agent after the other to his opponent Mundt of the counter-espionage of the “party”, he returns back to London where he and Control (a man of high rank in the British espionage network) come up with a plot against Mundt. Their Plan was to get Leamas to “betray” London and sell information to his opponent which indirectly accused Mundt of being a London agent.... [tags: John Le Carré The Spy Who Came Essays]
1229 words (3.5 pages)
- 135 lbs., alcohol units 0 (v.g.), cigarettes 0 (would be difficult because I don't smoke), calories 2250 (must do better tomorrow!). These are the inner thoughts of some women on a daily basis and in Bridget Jones's Diary; Helen Fielding makes single women feel like they are not alone. Through incidents of self doubt, heartache, and the anxiety of being single forever, Fielding allows readers who have faced or are facing the same situations to take a break, sit back and have a laugh at Bridget's expense.... [tags: Movie Film Book Analysis Bridget Jones Diary]
1182 words (3.4 pages)