I plan to actively engage students, community members, policy makers, and other educational stakeholders.
I have a passion for teaching whether it be in a formal classroom or informally, one-on-one with students or other advisees. I believe that the educational experiences of university students should be intellectually stimulating and rigorous, but also professionally constructive. I intend my own teaching to focus on substantive subject material, but as importantly to offer opportunities for students to advance their professional experiences. For example, my teaching philosophy includes important skill building for students such as persuasive academic writing, manuscript submission, editorial opportunities, and contribution to development projects.
As an undergraduate and master’s student, I was provided with opportunities from a mentor professor to participate in writing, editing, and submitting articles for publication in academic journals and edited volumes. These experiences proved critical in developing my own professional and academic expertise. I plan on structuring many course assignments around student pursuits of academic publication, research funding, and other developmental and professional opportunities for students. I intend to provide my students with practical applied opportunities for research, evaluation, and data analysis by participating in ongoing international development education research.
As a doctoral student, I was involved in seminars through which I contributed to an evaluation of education interventions CARE International’s Basic and Girls’ Education unit. “The research partnership collaborated with eight countries to support longitudinal data collection and analysis to be used to ...
... middle of paper ...
...ession, hierarchical models, and multivariate techniques for analyzing continuous, ordinal, and nominal data.
International education policy and reform
Critical policy analysis of educational innovation and reform in selected countries. Covering theoretical perspectives and analysis frameworks/models to examine policy implications on issues of equity, efficiency, quality, and access. Global efforts to provide quality education and roadblocks to such efforts. Major theories of development such as human capital, neoliberalism, and human development. Methods for evaluating educational projects and policies.
I am also completely capable and willing to teach any courses in the areas of educational and social research methods, quantitative and qualitative research, academic writing and publishing, or any related subject area.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Teaching is both a mentally and psychologically rewarding career. I have always felt the need to help people to reach their goals and it has made me feel better about myself in turn. I am drawn to being a leader and I feel like I am someone who others can easily look up to. Being a teacher would be a challenging task, but I feel like the satisfaction I would receive from helping others would be well worth the hours spent. All the teachers I have had in my life have been extremely helpful and dedicated to helping not only myself, but also others who were willing to learn, be the best that we could be.... [tags: students, goals, high school]
1208 words (3.5 pages)
- There are several reasons that I would chose to teach in New Orleans. The first would be that I have family in New Orleans and it would be nice to get closer to them while at the same time doing something that would make a difference. I feel that the New Orleans schools are a place where I could make a difference. My goal in becoming a teacher has been to make a difference in the life of at least one teenager and hopefully many more. I want to do what my high school history teacher did. I want to make the past real to students.... [tags: Career Ambition]
1035 words (3 pages)
- I believe that teaching is the most important profession in the world. How else can we continue to develop in such a technical world, or in any other way, for that matter. Without the transfer of knowledge to young minds, we will stagnate and wither as a world. Teaching is hope for better, more successful futures. Learning is hope for becoming better individuals, for gaining intelligence, and for implementing practical experiences in our future. Since we always tell our children that they should plan for their futures and work to realize those goals, the teaching profession should “practice what it preaches” by helping young people to reach those goals.... [tags: career, teaching,]
1714 words (4.9 pages)
- The career services professional supports the educational mission of a college by assisting students to develop, evaluate, and pursue career aspirations with the goal of securing employment. Career services professionals accomplish these goals with a range of programs, counseling and services designed to help students make the connection between the academic environment and the workplace. Career Counseling, or Career Services depending on the institution, is frequently offered on a one-on-one basis, but at times this service is provided through group workshops, classes, or computerized guidance systems.... [tags: Career Goals]
1568 words (4.5 pages)
- Webster’s Dictionary defines the word change using the following: “to make different in some particular: ALTER b: to make radically different: TRANSFORM c : to give a different position, course, or direction to 2 a : to replace with another b : to make a shift from one to another : SWITCH c : to exchange for an equivalent sum of money d : to undergo a modification of e : to put fresh clothes or covering on.” (Retrieved November 16, 2009, from http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/change) The 2008 Presidential Campaign for Barack Obama was based on the Promise to change the status quo.... [tags: career, ]
879 words (2.5 pages)
- Issues and Problem Focus The key problems and needs which Aliana should address is why the other careers she choose before have not made her happy. She has tired her hand at English and Education in her past careers. I would question why she chose these careers to begin with. I would also explore why she has never used her minor in Journalism in her career and if she would like to put effort into that career path. In using the O*NET Interest Profiler we can explore why she might have chosen these careers and what careers she should really explore based on her scores.... [tags: Career Counseling Case Study]
1766 words (5 pages)
- Deciding which career is best for me is a very difficult decision. There are so many different types and areas of study to choose from and many that I am interested in. Ever since I was little I have always wanted to become a nurse. When I was ten years old, my grandmother experienced a stroke right in front of me. No other adult was home at the time and I had to manage the experience alone. I remained calm and took care of her until emergency personnel arrived to take over her medical needs. Everything ended well with her and I felt that I managed everything with maturity.... [tags: Career Research ]
1789 words (5.1 pages)
- Teaching Philosophy Education, as well as children, has always been very important to me. My favorite game to play growing up was always “school”. I would recruit my stuffed animals and dolls to be my “students”. Every evening when I got home from school I would spend countless hours making lesson plans, tests, and grading papers for my “students”. Now that I’m all grown up and taking the necessary steps to become an educator, I’m still as excited and enthusiastic about teaching as I was when I was a little girl.... [tags: Education Teaching Teachers Essays]
862 words (2.5 pages)
- Teaching Philosophy Philosophy of Education, is the exploration for the meaning of life. My personal philosophical views of education, is the love of teaching and learning. To serve as an mentor, confidant, instructor and to provide guidance in the area of education. To teach the younger generation that education can give great lifelong rewards. I hope to learn and expand my wisdom surrounding the aspect of education, through research, assignments and field experience. I plan to mold minds and encourage students, to better influence and instill within them that they are unique and special.... [tags: Philosophy of Education Teaching Teachers Essays]
593 words (1.7 pages)
- Goals In many people lives, there are many different interests. This mean that a person may give special attention to something that they love to do in life. In most cases, that person would work very hard to accomplish their hearts desire. However, a person may feel life has nothing to offer him, or her in this world; People who think this way are either ignorant or are deceiving themselves. In fact, everyone should want to have a purpose or a goal in life. My goal in life is to become a better person in everything I do.... [tags: essays papers]
394 words (1.1 pages)