On December 23, 2011, a career fire fighter died during fire-fighting operations on the 2nd floor of a three-story apartment building. The victim was assigned to Engine 5. E5 was the first-due engine company at this fire .Engine 5 was ordered by the ic to take a hose line and attack the fire in a 2nd floor apartment. The lieutenant stretched the line to the landing of the 2nd floor but did not realize there were two apartments on the 2nd floor. Due to heavy smoke conditions, he went to Apartment 4 instead of the fire apartment (Apartment 3). Apartment 4 was locked, so he went to get the ladder company, which was operating on the 3rd floor. At this time, the lieutenant lost contact with the victim. The Incident Commander went to the 2nd floor landing, contacted the lieutenant from E5, advised him the fire was in Apartment 3, and the door was open. The lieutenant then entered the fire apartment, attempted to knock down the fire, and the apartment flashed. The lieutenant, with his helmet on fire, was pulled out of the apartment by members of Engine 3 and Ladder 1. At this time, the location of the victim was unknown. The lieutenant returned to the fire apartment with a thermal imaging camera but the image was not able to work due to the amount of heat and fire in the apartment. Several fire fighters stated they heard a personal alert safety system alarm sounding but were unable to determine the location. The officer of the fourth-due engine company (Engine 7) entered the fire apartment, located the victim, and removed the victim with the help of two other fire fighters. Despite receiving CPR and advanced life support outside the structure, in the ambulance, and in the local hospital 's ER the victim died. The death certificate an...
... middle of paper ...
...ully complete the Candidate Physical Ability Test . Once a candidate is hired by this fire department, the candidate may be required to attend a 12-week recruit school at the Massachusetts Firefighting Academy. The decision to send a candidate to the Massachusetts Firefighting Academy for training and certification is the sole responsibility of the local fire department. Also, the candidate must pass a medical examination prior to entry into the Academy program.
In conclusion, I believe that firefighters must learn from the mistakes of others. Also that things that seem small, like taking a par can actuly make a diferance between life and death. Also as a firefight you can never be prepared for everything that can happen. In this case the firefighters heart stoped working while fighting fire. This is the perfect example of how you can never be prpered enough.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- My Career The career field I chose is to be a firefighter. The reason why I want to be a firefighter is because they help people and prevent fires from spreading. I’ve always wanted to help people everywhere, because I don’t like it whenever if there is an accident and some people died and lost their loved ones, people talking crap about them and just talking and pointing the cameras in their face watching them cry. I want to help people and make a difference and help protect people’s life, and be someone people recognize when I walk by them.... [tags: trends, emergency situations]
918 words (2.6 pages)
- Dropping everything he’s doing Joe quickly runs to the fire poll and proceeds to exits the building, sirens soaring over head, and fire truck engines starting up, he rushes to slip on his gear, he feels good about himself knowing he’s a hero, he holds his helmet under his right arm, and jumps on the bright shiny red fire truck, he taps the sparkling smooth metal twice, and they pull out of the fire station, as they arrive at the house, he spots the bright red and orange fire, instantly everything slows down, and his heart speeds up, other than the thrill and overall well-being of this career.... [tags: Career Research ]
1665 words (4.8 pages)
- The Fire Fighter Professor is the best study guide system designed to help you obtain your optimal score on the Fire Fighter exam so you can start your career as a firefighter. The Fire Fighter Professor is the number one provider of high quality knowledge designed to help YOU score high on your firefighter exam. Experienced firefighters and exam consultants have provided content, explanations and feedback given by the Fire Fighter Professor. By studying with the Fire Fighter Professor, you will: Increase your understanding of the necessary firefighter material Improve your firefighter exam comfort, familiarity, and completion speed Start preparing immediately as there is no software to... [tags: essays research papers]
619 words (1.8 pages)
- "By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail." - Benjamin Franklin Various organizations fail to plan and which in most cases causes unnecessary stress on the entire organization. In order to be successful an organizations must set organizational controls. Organizational controls assist managers in their daily operations. Furthermore, Fire Chiefs must understand the essentials of organizational control. Jones & George (2011) suggested, “It helps managers obtain superior efficiency, quality, responsiveness to customers, and innovation-the four building blocks of competitive advantage.” (p.... [tags: Fire Chief, Fire Department]
1415 words (4 pages)
- The fire service has many years of traditions. Many of those traditions are good. However, some of those traditions are hurting and in some cases lead to the death of fire fighters. After finishing my research paper, I hope brings to attention that changes are needed in the fire service. The audience I am reaching out to are my fell fire fighters and fire administration. After reading, will look at current policies and procedures, and fire tactics on the fire ground. Fire administration will take the appropriate action to make the fire service more discipline.... [tags: emergency, safety, on-duty deaths]
529 words (1.5 pages)
- The use of covert operations could very well reduce the risk of conflict and enhance international security. A covert operation is an operation that is planned in secrecy and usually denied by the sponsor of the operation. Countries, like the United States, should use covert operations more because it accomplishes national interests, while also reducing the risk of further conflicts, which then enhances the international security of the world. The first example that I will use is Operation Canadian Caper.... [tags: Covert Operations Essays]
1322 words (3.8 pages)
- Definition and History Information Systems and Operations Management(ISOM) is mixture of business related sections of Informational Technology and the operational/management side of businesses. According to the George Mason University School of Business page ISOM is used to teach students how to design, improve, and how to manage business processes. One side of ISOM is Information Systems, which is the gathering and transmission of data. Meanwhile operations management deals with the design and the ability to control production processes and the establishment of business operation structures.... [tags: Management, Operations management]
1559 words (4.5 pages)
- Erik Overton Mrs. Wright English III 7 November 2014 The Fire Service On average, two hundred and twenty three firefighters are hurt on the job every day. That equals up to forty one thousand and seventy injured firefighters every year. These injuries set firefighters out of the job for weeks if not even months. Even though they only work ten or twelve days out of the month, most of these injured firefighters do not have other jobs that can support them. Then there are the firefighters whose injuries do not allow them to go back into service as a firefighter.... [tags: Firefighting, Firefighter, Fire protection]
1646 words (4.7 pages)
- The following is a short excerpt of those who fought and died due to the Triangle Shirtwaist Company Fire. “The “Triangle” Company… With blood this name will be written in the history of the American workers’ movement, and with feel will this history recall the names of the strikers of this shop—of the crusaders.”— Jewish Daily Forward (Drehle) On March 25, 1911, the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory Fire broke out. Proper workers’ rights and fire prevention installations were not in place or were not followed.... [tags: Workplace Fire Safety]
1464 words (4.2 pages)
- The F 15 Fighter Aircraft Everyone in here knows that they live in the most powerful nation on the planet. Just about every night on the news some reference is made about our military might and superiority. But, does anyone have any idea how great that might really is, how much more advanced we are than our enemies. Tonight I'm going to give everyone a little insight into history and capabilities of one of our most effective fighter jets, the F-15 aircraft. The F-15 was introduced into the U.S.... [tags: Papers]
371 words (1.1 pages)