Describing my body has always been a negative and positive experience depending on the circumstances. The days when my stomach looks flat or my thighs look skinnier are the days I feel more motivated and not as restricted to what I can do. When faced with a magazine where I 'm examining skinny models, those are the times I 'm most vulnerable and negative.
The best word to describe my body is “average”. I wouldn’t say I 'm skinny, fat, muscular or toned, I feel I 'm about average in any category. I don’t find that a bad thing because I don’t stick out in a crowd. My body has always been something I 've been comfortable with, but wouldn 't mind working harder on. To me, it’s not about looking skinnier, but it’s about looking fit and being healthy. A fit figure to me is described as someone with an hourglass figure, muscular thighs, and toned arms that show definition. I feel like my body is always in reach of this description, but not quite there. I occasionally have love handles, but the biggest insecurity are my thighs. I have a heavier lower half, and I find all my gained weight will be first noticed there. It is something that I am used to, but not something I 'm entirely comfortable with. Having to worry about how short my shorts are, or having to get a bigger pants size than my friends can be discouraging. I realize there is no “perfect” body, but I think having something to always work for will motivate me throughout my life.
Relating my body to dance is something I am most negative about. I do not think I have the ideal “dancers” body, especially for ballet purposes. When I was younger I failed my ballet exam due to the pointe section. I have very flat feet and my legs are not hyperextended. I...
... middle of paper ...
...free person in order to let loose and relieve any stress that I have build up. With my type A personality I tend to stress myself out over little things, whether it’s a mess my roommates didn’t clean up or if it’s a test I feel like I won’t do well on.
I believe it’s also determined by the individuals I surround myself with. When I am surrounded by people I am very comfortable with, I will always have that carefree attitude because I am not afraid of speaking up to them if I 'm uncomfortable with something. This is also shown during my improvisation. If I 'm dancing with people I have danced with plenty of times, I will be able to let loose and do any moves I please. I have come to the conclusion that I will not change my A typer personality, but to continue to have that escape, being dance, will renee my stress and allow me to continue my life the way I want to.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- ... Without the catalyst that is emotion; the area of knowledge of the arts would likely be bland and sterile. However, creativity is enhanced when emotion is felt and the individual already has gift in a field. For example, the singer Adele wrote and produced her album after experiencing heartbreak. Adele had always been a talented singer, but the emotions that she felt, such as sadness, anger and spiritual pain enhanced her songwriting and singing capabilities as it was a vent for the expression of her inner turmoil’s and hurt.... [tags: creativity, ethics, human nature]
1070 words (3.1 pages)
- The term discretion has several meanings the liberty to decide what should be done in a specific circumstance is one general universal definition. But when dealing with criminal justice and police work the description changes a bit. The criminal justice definition of discretion is Police discretion discusses the authority given to a police officer that allows him or her to decide how to best handle a certain situation. This is designed at increasing the flexibility of the criminal justice system as the punishment may not always be the suitable approach of dealing with crimes.... [tags: police agencies, mercy, circumstances]
2422 words (6.9 pages)
- To work under leadership that foster a sense of harmony and openness between employees and top leaders can motivate and promote a positive work environment. The leader of the Sewer Maintenance Division, within a local government agency uses various resonant leadership styles to manage the day to day operations. Mr. Stratford Sullivan is the Superintendent of this Division and approaches all issues by connecting the emotional aspect to the issue at hand to solve problems. Mr. Sullivan’s leadership style has transformed his middle level management team to become effective in carrying out the overall mission of the division, which as increased employee morale, improve employee work performance... [tags: Leadership, Emotion, Positive psychology]
990 words (2.8 pages)
- What conditions, if any, do you think justify the use of punishment. On the job punishment as illustrated in this case incident is a bit over the top. However, job punishment is justified in some cases. The use of punishment would be justified in cases of deviant workplace behavior (29) as well as fraud, unethical behavior, drug use, and tardiness or absenteeism. The type of punishment justified would vary depending upon the offense. In the case of an employee using drugs or drunk on the job, an appropriate punishment may be job suspension and enrollment in some type of rehabilitation program.... [tags: Justufucations, Positive Reinforcement]
1127 words (3.2 pages)
- 5. Vallerand, R.J., Reid, G. (1988). On the relative effects of positive and negative verbal feedback on males’ and females’ intrinsic motivation. Canadian Journal of Behavioral Science, 20 (3), 239-250. The goal of this study was to analyze the effects of both positive and negative feedback on male and female students’ intrinsic motivation. Research was conduced with a random sample consisting of 30 male and 30 female undergraduate students. All students were studying physical education in the Montreal, Canada area.... [tags: Negative feedback, Feedback, Positive feedback]
711 words (2 pages)
- ACCEPTING POSITIVE AND NEGATIVE CRITICISM Throughout life you will be faced with all types of different scenarios. Whether positive or negative it is imperative that you know how to react accordingly to those types of situations. All my life I have been faced with both positive and negative criticism. As a young girl I did not handle it very well, but now as an adult I now know that my family and friends only had my best interest at heart. Now at the tender age of 32, I try my best to instill in my kids that the world we live in can be cruel and harsh at times but we just have to make the best out of everything that we may choose to do.... [tags: Negative feedback, Feedback, Better]
1009 words (2.9 pages)
- Positive Psychology is the scientific study of human flourishing, and an applied approach to optimal functioning. It has also been defined as the study of the strengths and virtues that enable individuals, communities and organisations to thrive. (What Is Positive Psychology) Unfortunately, people can often be confused about the true characterization of positive psychology. Some even do not recognize positive psychology as not a “real” branch of psychology at all, because they misinterpret the definition.... [tags: Positive psychology, Psychology, Abraham Maslow]
1052 words (3 pages)
- I agree with the opinion that conflict should be seen as a positive rather than a negative. However, conflict can either be positive or negative depending on the parties involved and the mediation and negotiation styles. According to the authors in the art and practice of mediation, despite the fact we usually think of conflict as a negative term, it brings a positive side which enables parties enhance relationships, understand the root of the conflict, reinforce values of society and provides moral development and growth steps (Bishop, Picard, Ramkay and Sargent, 2015, p.... [tags: Mediation, Negotiation]
3439 words (9.8 pages)
- ... Effects on Human Health The removal of coal through surface mining affects the health of the workers and the citizens who live near the mines. The explosives that are uses to extract the coal from the earth’s surface contain chemicals and toxins that are harmful to the workers and residents health. Coal mining is detrimental to the workers and residents who live nearby. According to the (Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), 2009”) Coal mining leads the United States Industries in fatal injuries and his associated with chronic health problems.... [tags: fuel, resources, energy, economy, mining]
1190 words (3.4 pages)
- It sucks when you get a negative customer review. Not only do they hurt personally – particularly because most of the time it wasn’t even under your control – but they hurt your business as well. They’re like glaring red Xs disfiguring your social media accounts. So what should you do about them. Should you just ignore them and hope that everybody else will too. Well, let’s start right there. They won’t. Negative news is like cocaine. People are always going to be sniffing around for it. And as a bad review can destroy months of positive feedback, the well-structured feedback you can’t let that happen.... [tags: Feedback, Negative feedback, Positive feedback]
857 words (2.4 pages)