As part of a deal my dad made, with my mom, for forgetting her birthday, we spent our summer in Rome. Every emotion was heightened, from getting off the plane to stepping into the taxi; this was the first time our family had stepped on European soil. After we were dropped off at our hotel, we unpacked, freshened up, and looked over our itinerary. We were to visit every major site and monument that could be fitted into 3 weeks. As I was reading through the list, I realized Pompeii was not part of the tour. So, for the last 3 days, we booked another tour, and visited Pompeii, and that is where the fun began.
The tour company was called ‘Dark Rome Tours’ the name itself sent chills down my spine as we entered Pompeii, a bustling Roman city, destroyed by a still active volcano. Our tour guide walked us through the streets, cut out by carriage wheels 2,000 years ago. He showed us the ruins of various houses, both for the elite and the poor and the public bath. After a late breakfast, we visited the exhibit I was most anxious to see, the people, frozen in plaster death casts for thousands of years. As we entered the exhibit, my little sister got scared, seeing the faceless people in glass boxes, so my parents waited outside with her, as I looked around at the people who were frozen in the position they were in when the volcano erupted. I approached a figure, whose face was upturned, like in prayer and its hands holding what looked to be a stick of some sort. I touched the glass and thought,...
... middle of paper ...
...architecture and politics of an amazing Roman city.
Cooley, Alison, and M. G. L. Cooley. Pompeii a Sourcebook. London: Routledge, 2004. Print.
2. Cornell, Tim, and Kathryn Lomas. Urban Society in Roman Italy. London: Taylor & Francis e-Library, 2005. Print.
3. Laurence, Ray. Roman Pompeii Space and Society. London: Routledge, 1996. Print.
4. Morton, Marguerite W. Scene from the Last Days of Pompeii. Cambridge [eng.]: Proquest LLC, 2005. Print.
5. "AD79 Eruption." AD79 Eruption. N.p., n.d. Web. 04 Dec. 2013.
6. "Ancient Pompeii's Society." Architecture of Ancient Pompeii. N.p., n.d. Web. 04 Dec. 2013.
7. "Pompeii Interactive." Pompeii Interactive. N.p., n.d. Web. 04 Dec. 2013
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Have you ever had the feeling that you just want to get away from where you are or a situation you are in. When people start to feel this way they often decide to go on a vacation. Then they face a decision, “Where do I want to go?” There are many factors that may contribute to this decision, such as the amount of time that can be taken away from work or other obligations, how much money there is to spend on this trip, is this the best time, and much more. Deciding where to go is a big decision that should be given a great deal of thought and not rushed into.... [tags: Summer Vacation Essays]
1888 words (5.4 pages)
- ... The answer is yes, for some, the weather outside can cause them to feel more stressed than they normally do. They might feel as though they can’t get motivated and they feel that everything which is problematic is ten times more stressful than it might be on a sunny day. If you are one of these people, there are medical conditions which might be causing you to be more sensitive to stress when the weather is poor. Although, people in the USA are not the only ones stressed from the long school year.... [tags: necessary vacation, stress and health]
1403 words (4 pages)
- Walt Disney World Resorts is the ultimate vacation destination. With four theme parks, two water parks, a downtown shopping district, a plethora of resort hotels and more, it has plenty to offer its diverse guests. I visit Walt Disney World at least once a year, and sometimes more if I am able to. With every visit, the more things I find to love about it. I absolutely love the atmosphere, the riveting attractions, the stores, restaurants, and everything else. Personally, Walt Disney world never loses its magic.... [tags: Walt Disney, The Walt Disney Company]
870 words (2.5 pages)
- My favorite season of the year is summer because of the warm weather, the school vacation, and the endless fun. I really enjoy the warm weather because it’s the perfect atmosphere to do outdoor activities. My favorite part about summer has to be the fact that school is closed for two months. During summer, you’re free to do whatever you want, not worrying about curfew or waking up early for school. Summer time is a great time to relax with friends and family by soaking up the sun at a beach or simply having dinner together.... [tags: Favorite Season, Descriptive]
524 words (1.5 pages)
- ... The monasteries are the main attraction of Ladakh. What is the temperature during the summer months. The temperature usually varies from 0 degree Celsius to 20 degree Celsius during the day time. The nights are usually cold and the temperature dips down to 0 degree. 2. Kashmir ( The paradise on earth) Kashmir often referred to as paradise on earth surely stands up to its reputation. This place is the one hotspot for the newly wedded couples. An amazing nature walk and beautiful scenario will surely make you feel that love is oozing out of you.... [tags: Ladakh, kashmir ]
720 words (2.1 pages)
- My favorite summer vacation was when my Father took me to Universal Studios in Orlando, Florida. It was one of the most memorable experiences of my life. What made it even more memorable was the fact that it was my very first time on an airplane. I cannot recall another time in my life when I experienced so much joy. That trip to Universal Studios was the first time my Father and I actually did something together, just the two of us and was something brought me close to my Father. In this essay I will tell you about my plane ride over there, what I did right when I got there, and about my time at Universal Studios.... [tags: Summer Vacation Essays]
900 words (2.6 pages)
- One of my favorite family traditions is summer vacation. Every summer without fail we go on vacation. For the past ten years we have been going to Disney World with our family friends the Battaglia's, so it has turned into a tradition up until last summer when we broke our florida adventure to go to Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. We have been going on vacation with the Battaglia's for so long for a very good reason. It is because everyone gets along. My mom, Mr. Battaglia and Mrs. Battaglia are very good friends.... [tags: Summer Vacation Essays]
432 words (1.2 pages)
- A few summers ago, my family and I took a vacation to Niagara Falls, Canada. We had planned this week long vacation for several months in advance. It had been arranged so that we could visit relatives who live in the area. The morning we were to leave for our trip was very sunny so I woke up a few hours early from the light shining through my window. So, I used this extra time to finish packing my belongings that I had forgotten to pack the night before. We left around 9:30 on a warm, July Monday morning.... [tags: Summer Vacation Essays]
464 words (1.3 pages)
- When I was ten years old my Father took me to Universal Studios in Orlando Florida during summer vacation. It is one of the most memorable experiences of my life. It was my first time on an airplane, so I was a little nervous. It felt like forever while we sat in the plane waiting to take off. Finally, I heard the pilot say “prepare for take off.” I’ll admit I was a little scared, but as the plane lifted off the runway, I was ok. The plane ride there was three hours long. It was a little bumpy, but other then that, everything went well.... [tags: Summer Vacation Essays]
656 words (1.9 pages)
- How I Spent My Summer Vacation My boyfriend, Greg and I felt it would be a great opportunity to spend some quality time with our friends. We were going on a three day camping trip with long time friends, another couple, Chris and Heather. Chris is the go-with-the-flow type of guy but only if Heather allows him to do so. Heather is a very kind person who looks out for others. She just crosses that line of being concerned to being motherlike. See we spend a lot of time with them, but it's like other people's children, you can go home and leave them, this time we couldn't.... [tags: Summer Vacation Essays]
1107 words (3.2 pages)