Zimmerman acknowledged that he shot Martin and claimed that it was self-defence. Unfortunately Florida jury acquitted Zimmerman of all charges. The murder of Trayvon martin started rallies across the country, shortly after this trail Black lives matter begun. I am African American and as being such I feel very strongly about black lives matter and all the innocent black lives that have been taken from their families based on racial profilinging. Throughout this paper I will be discussing how the black lives matter movement became so important. I will then discuss how white sepreimisses affects all minorities. To conclude I will talk about white privilege and how the system fails’ minorities.
Black Lives Matter is a chapter based national organization working for the validi...
... middle of paper ...
...e above all. However the system has always valued white lives over minority. If Trayvon Martin, Michael Brown and Eric Garner were Caucasian there would have been justice. In todays society a white life is worth more than a black life. In 2015 police killed at least 102 unarmed black people, only ten out of 102 cases resulted in officers being charged with a crime. We live in a society where African American families fear that today might be the last day they see a member of their family, police are meant to keep us safe but instead they are doing more harm than good. We live in a society where a Black man living in the hood is not garneted to see the age of twenty. It is unfair that we must live out of fear because of the colour of our skin Black lives matter is working for a world where black lives are no longer systematically and intentionally targeted for demise.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Trayvon Martin was killed by a neighborhood watchman, George Zimmerman. He says that it was self defense, but after the tragic phone call was released to the media everything took a huge turn questioning if it was a hate crime. If Zimmerman would have stayed in his car that night then Trayvon would still be alive. It could not be self-defense if all Travon had in his hand were skittles and some tea. The whole thing blew up right after it was released to the news. Then when it was time for the trial it was live on television.... [tags: Trayvon Martin Case]
1409 words (4 pages)
- ... As the case grew people were retaliating more that it wasn't a fair ruling protesting that consideration to be taken into account and an investigation. The people wanted Justice for Trayvon and the ruling to be a fair one in order to be assured that in this case and the future if any case similar occurs, fair judgment will be used in the situations unlike the verdict in this case. The department before this shooting was accused of protecting relatives of police officers involved in violent incidents with African-Americans.... [tags: suspicious guy, drugs, african americans]
1484 words (4.2 pages)
- Not guilty was the decision made by the jury during the George Zimmerman vs. Trayvon Martin trial. That verdict may have been the most controversial one of recent time. Many people were upset by the decision and felt that justice was not achieved for the young victim, Martin who was seventeen years old when he was killed. This incident seems to be a tragic example of stereotyping and racial profiling. It is also an example of how a verdict, based on the strict interpretation of the law can be the wrong verdict.... [tags: Incorrect Verdicts, Injustice]
2187 words (6.2 pages)
- My heart, along with many others fell and was saddened by the horrendous news that swept our televisions of a young black boy shot and killed in Florida. The month of February 2012 and many months following had the country shook as more information about the Trayvon Martin and George Zimmerman story surfaced. After about a year and a half of awaiting justice, none came as they announce Zimmerman Innocent of the charge against him. A shaken nation had become even more shook and bewildered; how could a man who deserved repercussion for his crime walk away free.... [tags: Black people, African American, White people, Race]
1813 words (5.2 pages)
- Some cases have very similar out comes yet the similarity in the Trayvon Martin and Emmett Till cases are eerily close. Both stories seem to be justified tragedies. They are similar in many ways like both teens being murdered on a visit to a family member, the murderers walking free, and the media being careless because of race. Except in the Trayvon martin case many people would like to say it wasn’t racially motivated. The two events happened so many years apart it is hard to believe they are so similar.... [tags: Emmett Till, Tallahatchie River, Money]
1058 words (3 pages)
- Jim Morrison, the lead singer of the music group “The Doors”, once said “Whoever controls the media, controls the mind” (Quotes About Media). After George Zimmerman fatally shot Trayvon Martin, the media decided to exercise that control. The media forced the state of Florida to bring charges against Zimmerman, misrepresent the facts in order to convince the public Zimmerman was guilty, and influence public opinion after the a verdict was reached. On March 12, 2012 Bill Lee, the Chief of Police for Sanford Florida, explained Zimmerman had not been arrested because the police found no evidence to refute Zimmerman’s self-defense claim (Timeline of events: Trayvon Martin shooting case).... [tags: Trayvon Martin shooting case]
2145 words (6.1 pages)
- The phrase justice for all seems like it doesn’t pertain to everyone. I have seen so many cases of police brutality where they have actually killed someone for no reason and got off with the crime. In my opinion murder is murder and regardless of the position you have, if you do the crime you should have to do the time. Just because you wear a badge, doesn’t mean that you have the right to kill someone. I feel as if its time for the government to start enforcing more laws for police officers and it time for officers to have to have more harsh consequences for their actions.... [tags: Police, Police brutality, Police officer]
1458 words (4.2 pages)
- On February 26, 2012, an apparently innocent teenager was shot as he walked home through his neighborhood late at night. The Trayvon Martin killing and trial has recently been one of the primary topics covered by the media in America. The response to the news coverage of the case has been staggering. Students have organized hoodie marches and created Facebook groups to protest the unjustified murder of the young man. However, is the American public as well informed as it pretends to be. Americans have an unsettling susceptibility to manipulation from the media.... [tags: Political Spectacle, Politicization Of Issues]
1587 words (4.5 pages)
- September 9th, 2007: Inmate Jerry Martin, a 37 year old white male steals a truck from a Huntsville parking lot. He drives it into a female correctional officer’s horse, ultimately ending in her falling to her death. An innocent woman, killed because of a man’s poor decision. Homicide is a felony widely regarded as one of, if not the, worst offences a human can commit. The act of ending a man or woman’s life, whether intentional, or unintentional, is one that can very rarely be justifiable.... [tags: Julius Caesar Essays]
916 words (2.6 pages)
- “#BlackLivesMatter was created in 2012 after Trayvon Martin’s murderer, George Zimmerman, was acquitted for his crime, and dead 17-year old Trayvon was post-humously placed on trial for his own murder.” (#BlackLivesMatter,2012).The topic Black Lives Matter because it 's just a strong topic so many lives have been lost with absolutely no justice, just young lives lost. This movement has changed the society because people are stepping out for what they believe in and saying that something needs to give because this is happening to way too many Young Black Men.... [tags: Black people, Race, White people]
1398 words (4 pages)