Raymond was born with autism as well as savant syndrome. Autism spectrum disorder or ASD causes communication deficits, like: replying inappropriately or incorrectly in discussion, inability to understand non-verbal cues, or difficulty building and maintaining friendships that...
... middle of paper ...
...his, I know that the autism disorder that Raymond has had been realistically portrayed. Also, I thought that the savant syndrome was especially interesting. There is only one person that I know that also portrays signs of savant syndrome. He had some slight autistic qualities in his personality and struggled in conversation but after speaking with him anyone could tell that he was extremely smart. I met him in high school, he struggled in some classes, but he excelled extremely well in history. In fact, if you named a country then he would be able to tell you the capital or vice versa from anywhere on the globe within seconds. Not only that, but he was able to recognize any fictional country or capital that we came up with on the spot. This goes to show that someone who has savant syndrome might not excel in numbers, but could possibly excel in any number of things.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- There are many movies that portray mental and psychological disorders, from these I chose the award winning movie: Rain Man. Rain Man was released on December 14, 1988. In the beginning of this movie, a car dealer, Charlie Babbitt (Tom Cruise), learns that his father has died and returns home to Cincinnati to attend his funeral. Charlie and his father had a falling out with each other starting when Charlie was sixteen years old and decided to steal his father’s car for a victory lap around town.... [tags: Psychiatry, Mental disorder, Autism]
1613 words (4.6 pages)
- Analysis of Before the Rain Before the Rain, filmed on location in the Republic of Macedonia and in London is a trilogy that focuses on the conflict between Muslims and Orthodox Christians in the Balkans. The three chapters of the trilogy are " Words," " Faces" and " Pictures." Director Milcho Manchevski states; " Before the Rain, refers to the feeling of heavy expectation, when the skies are pregnant with the possibility of an outburst, when people are silent, waiting for a tragedy of cleansing"(1).... [tags: Papers]
652 words (1.9 pages)
- Usually when someone thinks of rain they think of the way it smells, the romantic movie scene where the guy and the girl kiss, or farmers think how blessed they are that they don’t have to pay for as much water to hydrate their crops and it increases their profit. When thinking about rain, we tend to look passed the different types and how they can negatively affect our environment. Acid rain is one of those types that negatively affects our environment and it is caused from the burning of fossil fuels, coal, and other wasteful gasses.... [tags: PH, Acid, Carbon dioxide]
1065 words (3 pages)
- Lee Daniel’s Precious is a movie centered around Precious Jones, a 16-year-old overweight black girl living in Harlem, New York. The movie begins when she is in public school pregnant with her second child by her father. Because Precious is pregnant, the principle recommends an alternative school for her. At home, Precious is a servant to her mother, Mary, who is physically, emotionally, verbally, and sexually abusing her. Mary constantly tells Precious that she is not good enough and that no one will ever want her.... [tags: Bullying, Abuse, Verbal abuse, Love]
990 words (2.8 pages)
- (1) The movie begins in the courtroom with the judge addressing to the jurors that they must keep their oath and make the best decision for the victim with all of the knowledge that they have received from listening to the case. The jurors are then directed into a small room. Tables have been pushed together in the middle to make one big meeting-like table, surrounding with enough chairs to seat the twelve male jurors. After all twelve jurors are settled into the room, the bailiff/officer locks the door.... [tags: Jury, Not proven, The Juror, Verdict]
1365 words (3.9 pages)
- Analysis of the Movie Willow She was born with the mark on her arm, the mark of the one who would cause the downfall of queen Bavmorda and end her evil rain. The legend told her that the prophecy was the queens grates fear and now it was about to some true. Willow Ufgood had always wanted to be a magician. to be wise and respected in his community. His dreams were about to become true. All of these things you will read in my report. The main charters of this book are Willow ufgood- a nelwyn that wishes to be a magician that will soon come true.... [tags: Willow Ron Howard George Lucas Film Essays]
2058 words (5.9 pages)
- Mise en scene is a French term that is defined as the overall point of view of a movie or the "placing on stage". In other words, it refers to the combined experience of what the viewers hear, see and think of when they watch a movie. The mise en scene of a movie catches the attention of the viewers’ moods as much as lighting, props sounds, and smells do. It alerts their emotional response system to a real-life setting, which is conveyed in the movie. Mise en scene has two significant visual components: design and composition.... [tags: Film, Horror film, Cinematography]
1273 words (3.6 pages)
- Exploring Autism in the Movie, Rain Man Autism is considered a unique disorder that affects 1 in 500 people. Autism impairs three main areas of human development: speech, communication, and social interaction. The trademark feature of autism is impaired social interaction. All impairments can range from mild to severe. Individuals with autism may lack speech altogether or only learn basic language specific to their needs. In the area of social interaction, the individual is often withdrawn from others.... [tags: Rain Man Movie Film Autistic]
1106 words (3.2 pages)
- Chapter 2- In the film August in Osage County, a family dinner is used to reveal secrets and change the course of the plot. This scene is important because major plot features come to light. The characters take this time to share berate one another’s life choices. Anger at the mother’s drug addiction, the father’s death, an incestuous relationship, and previous actions towards others escalate the tensions; thus, the dinner also serves to cleanse the family of their secrets. Chapter 3- The essentials of a vampire story are “an older figure representing corrupt, outworn values; a young, preferably virginal female; a stripping away of her youth, energy, virtue; a continuance of the life force... [tags: Don Quixote, Miguel de Cervantes]
1021 words (2.9 pages)
- The Rain Man The Rain Man stars Dustin Hoffman and Tom Cruise. The movie was made in 1988. The movie is about an autistic man named Raymon, who is a idiot savant played by Dustin Hoffman and his fast, talking self absorbed, egocentric brother Charlie Babbitt, who is played by Tom Cruise. A egocentric person is a person with the simple recognition that every living thing views the world from a unique, self-oriented perspective(LIFE: Inherently Egocentric written by James Craig Green http://pw2.netcom.com/~zeno7/ego.html).... [tags: Movie Film Rain Man Rainman Essays]
1713 words (4.9 pages)