years. They are used to express ones’ feelings or emotions with an attached meaning to another person. Even the simplest of words may have the tendency profound impact on someone’s life. No matter what the word or phase may be, it will affect ones’ attitude or behavior in different ways. Powerful words have always been the motivational force that helps guide me through life, turning a negative situation into a positive one.
Despite the fact of how long ago fourth grade was for me, I will never cease to remember the first week of which I enrolled at my new school. The first few days I was there, I took note of my surroundings. The classrooms were cramped, and the desks squeaked as you climbed up into the cold, unforgiving metal contraption. The hallways looked like endless, dimly lit maze trails which were used to keep the kids from finding an escape. Worst of all was the smell, I will never forget the sour stench of the strong bathroom chemicals the custodian used to clean it with. Its odor was as if the school wanted you to abandon all hope and deter you from finding solace anywhere, it smelled like death. To me, this new surrounding was hostile, and many of the kids I saw laughing and talking to others had the luxury of friendship.
As I sat in the lunch room and tried to enjoy a stale peanut butter and jelly sandwich alone, I heard a clear and distinct voice through the rowdy lunch room. I turned my head, as I was unsure if the voice was directed at me. To my surprise it was one of the kids from my math
class. He asked me if I was having fun sitting by myself, I told him sarcastically it was very en...
... middle of paper ...
... first friend he made. I saw a lot of myself in Nick, especially because of the struggle we both faced when we came to this new environment. Not long after we became acquainted with one another, we quickly became good friends.
At the end of our senior year, the day of graduation, we sat next to each other in the auditorium. After everyone walked across the stage and got our diplomas, the principal congratulated everyone and we all threw our hats into the air. With a big smile on his face, and with the crowd of newly graduated seniors roaring, Nick turned to me and said, “Whats your favorite animal?” I laughed when heard that because it reminded me of what Phil said and how he affected me for the rest of my time in high school. Who knew such a short simple phrase could have such an impact on a persons life. How it can turn a negative situation into a positive
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- The Egan Model of counseling can be integrated into one of the principles of psychiatric nursing called motivational interviewing. Egan Model is used to help the counselor use structured and specific skills to assist the client to move forward. Motivational Interviewing “is a client centered, directive therapeutic style to enhance readiness by helping clients explore and resolve ambivalence” (Hettema, 2005, page 91). These models can easily be integrated into each other; there are many ideas and steps that overlap and complement each other.... [tags: Counseling Behavioral Problems]
1730 words (4.9 pages)
- Theory Centripetal force is a force that makes and object move in a circular path. When an object moves in a circle it can have a constant speed where the magnitude of the velocity is the same but the direction is always changing so the velocity cannot be considered constant. For the velocity to change there must be an acceleration and from there on we can calculate the centripetal force. There are also instances where we don’t know the velocity but we know the time it takes to so from that we can get the velocity of the object that is traveling in the circle.... [tags: Force, Mass, Kinematics, Energy]
1128 words (3.2 pages)
- Throughout my life I have played a ton of simulation games where I either had to build a house, a world, or a country. This even stretched on until high school and occasionally even now. I believe games like Webkinz, Sims, Minecraft, Clash of Clans and many more can support that the best way to build a civilization is through force. In all of these games, I was in charge of what to build and how or when I wanted to build whatever I felt like building. In all of these games, the key to success or the way to win is to get to the best form you can, which is very similar with building a civilization.... [tags: Democracy, Communism, Jedi]
736 words (2.1 pages)
- “Every child deserves a champion – an adult who will never give up on them, who understands the power of connection and insists that they become the best that they can possibly be” (Pierce). This quote offers the very reason adults should have a desire to encourage our students and help them be successful. In high school I did not have the benefit of having parents who encouraged me or guided me to be my very best nor help direct my future. Guidance counselors were not there to advise on how to get to college, but rather to help with personal problems.... [tags: Education, Teacher, Certified teacher, Want]
2905 words (8.3 pages)
- In society today we see and hear a lot about the use of lethal force. Law Enforcement and the public perceive the use of lethal force in many different ways. Sometimes these opinions cause chaos within society and law enforcement agencies. In this paper there will be an analysis of how perceptions on the use of lethal force varies between the public and law enforcement agencies whether it be local, state, or government agencies. To start off, what exactly is considered lethal force in todays society.... [tags: law enforcement, physical force, death]
999 words (2.9 pages)
- Variation in the Use of Force Amongst Police Departments The use of force has been around since policing began, although the rules for its use have changed overtime. In a 1964 survey, the majority of police reported they were to use “good judgement” when deciding whether or not to shoot (Walker 1993, 26). Back then, police also used force for any fleeing felon, which basically meant whenever. Now that rules have changed, the American Law Institute’s Model Penal Code, established in 1962, states that police are to only use force when they feel their life or someone else’s life is in danger (Walker 1993, 27).... [tags: Police, Constable, Crime, Deadly force]
1222 words (3.5 pages)
- This paper will discuss what motivational interviewing is , who developed motivational interviewing and why it was developed. In addition, the most important aspects of motivational interviewing will be covered. Furthermore, the paper will discuss how I hope to use motivational interviewing in the future. At the conclusion of the paper the reader should have a better understanding of motivational interviewing. Definition of Motivational Interviewing “Motivational interviewing was introduced by Dr.... [tags: Counseling Behavioral Problems]
925 words (2.6 pages)
- The Force of Hydropulsion Executive Summary For our project, our client, gave us the task of designing and developing a teaching aid that uses hydrogen to power a mechanical device. This task led us to the construction of a hybrid fuel cell/battery-powered model hovercraft. The hovercraft, which we call “Hovercraftica”, uses a battery to power the lift fan and two hydrogen fuel cells to power the fan that provides thrust. Hovercraftica is a self-contained demonstration unit with every aspect of its propulsion onboard.... [tags: Hydrogen Force Physics Essays Papers]
2743 words (7.8 pages)
- The Use of Force In Carlos Williams’s short story, “The Use of Force,” the doctor’s use of force is portrayed in a way that is controversial. Controversial in that it could easily be argued either that the doctor has complete reason to use force upon the girl, or that the doctor has no right to use any amount of force upon the girl without her consent. It could also be argued either that the results of the doctor’s use of force is a success or a failure. I feel that the doctor has reason to use force upon the girl in order to check her tonsils for a number of reasons.... [tags: The Use of Force Carlos Williams]
549 words (1.6 pages)
- Motivational Plan To-A-Tee Screen-Printing is a local t-shirt manufacturing company located here, in Las Vegas, Nevada. This organization provides t-shirt, sweatshirt, and sports hat solutions primarily to retail businesses. The Auto Grill Corporation recently sold the To-A-Tee print shop to a local sole proprietor. Previously, the print shops’ directives were handed down from the corporate office such as how much profit they had to budget for, the types of designs and styles offered by To-A-Tee, and the company policies and procedures that were written for their main locations, retail shops.... [tags: GCSE Business Marketing Coursework]
1249 words (3.6 pages)