Will is suffering from a borderline personality disorder which may be complemented by other clinical disorders such as posttraumatic stress disorder, classic attachment disorder, and an inferior complex. The clinical disorders are mainly due to the abuse that was inflicted by his foster family which has led him to have a fear of facing other fear and being defensive as a mechanism to protect himself (Gubala, 2014). The lack of empathy from his family contributed to the stress disorder. Will can display his inferior complex in his relationships since he only befriends people of lower intellect than himself and he regard...
... middle of paper ...
...ll id able to deal with the disorder by undertaking therapy sessions with Sean. The two can connect since Sean used unconventional psychology practices such as self-disclosure and transference which changed the way Will viewed Sean. Based on the attachment theory of Bowl that a child’s caregiver can respond to its cries with empathy, the manner in which Sean treats Will is by re-parenting him. The idea is that Will should be able to genuinely feel the kind of understanding a parent has towards his child and this will ensure that he understands the cause of his abuse was not himself or his doing. Upon understanding that, the symptoms of the disorder can be treated, and Will can be able to form relationships with others. The need to develop a relationship with Skylar is the reason why he turns down an offer for a job and runs off to California to be his love interest.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- A studious young man, an open book these two images swirl around the screen in a kaleidoscope effect, this was the introductory scene of "Good Will Hunting." This scene is followed by Ben Afflick, knocking on Will's door, when Will comes out a credit rolls by that says, "screenplay written by Ben Afflick and Matt Damon," just as the two walk side by side. This shows how perfectly the makers of this movie have everything timed, down to the credits. Also, the timing shows when the professor's assistant and Will are alone and the assistant tells Will how lucky he is to have someone believe in him as the professor does.... [tags: Film Analysis, Good Will Hunting]
988 words (2.8 pages)
- Good Will Hunting is the graceful tale of a young gentleman’s struggle to find out where he belongs in the world, by first finding out who he himself is. In this film, Matt Damon takes on the role of a disturbed genius that has a keen understanding of the deepness of human character. The film is a voyage through the mind of Will Hunting as he is required to undergo psychotherapy as an alternative to serving jail time. With the assistance of a psychologist, played by Robin Williams, Will learns about himself and recognizes his individual worth in the world by comprehending what is most important to him in his own life.... [tags: Film Analysis ]
2142 words (6.1 pages)
- Going off to college is probably one of the best things a person can do to further their education. The promise of a degree from a university seems achievable but is shadowed with the many challenges that come with a higher edification. Often many college students find themselves bothered by these obstacles which can determine whether the college student succeeds or not. There are many endeavors in college but it depends on how the student reacts to these situations. This synthesis will examine the motion picture Good Will Hunting and an essay by an author Bell Hooks entitled Keeping Close to Home: Class and Education.... [tags: Synthesis Essays]
1019 words (2.9 pages)
- The American Anime Michael DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko's television series Avatar: the Last Airbender often falls into the debate that the series should be categorized as an anime. Experts and Otakus say that the main reason why Avatar cannot be an anime is because it was basically not made in Japan. The westerners often compare it to shows such as Teen Titan, Boondocks, Code Lyoko and Totally Spies which are Western animations influenced by Japanese-style animations but are not considered anime because they were not explicitly produced in Japan.... [tags: t.v. seires, avatar, motion picture]
889 words (2.5 pages)
- An individual is shaped and molded by how they are treated by those that surround them. Most people value the opinions of those they care about and want to act in accord. Consequently, the choices people make are greatly influenced by the people in their lives. Sometimes, someone will become close with people who are different from each other. Such is the case in Good Will Hunting. Will Hunting (Matt Damon) struggles between the people that created him and the people that discovered him.... [tags: Good Will Hunting Essays]
1448 words (4.1 pages)
- Good Will Hunting, by Gus Van Sant, is a well-respected movie meant to inspire others. It reflects how nature and nurture work together in creating a mature human being. In the film we watch a man with a matured brain go through a struggle between his past and his future. He knows that he is highly intelligent but he chooses not to show it often due to his childhood abuse. While watching the movie, the audience doesn’t realize that there is a lot of science being depicted. The movie goes along with the theme of nature versus nurture as well as how the brain generally works.... [tags: Gus Van Sant, Good Will Hunting]
1062 words (3 pages)
- This paper will discuss the relationship between Will Hunting and the psychologist Sean Mcguire in the movie Good Will Hunting. The struggles that occur between these main characters will be analyzed and their meanings found. A basic outline of the movie will be included to give the larger picture and its influence upon the two men. An Analysis of the Movie ?Good Will Hunting. and the Main Characters Will Hunting and Sean Mcguire Outline: 1. Description of the Movie a. Setting of the movie b.... [tags: Film Analysis, Good Will Hunting]
2831 words (8.1 pages)
- From the perspective of economy, ecology, and environmental conservation, hunting is very important. Hunting is necessary to protect agriculture and the environment from animal pest or overpopulation. For example, wild boars tear up many farmers land causing many problems as well with the deer population growing eating away farmer’s resources. Also with the growth of white tail deer are damaging every landscape east of the Mississippi river. Unfortunately, the harm is very overlooked, and accepted as somehow “natural”.... [tags: Hunting, Deer, White-tailed deer]
1122 words (3.2 pages)
- Intro A journey is known as a movement from one place to another, so ultimately an inner journey is a movement of states of minds, either resulting in a positive change, or negative. Though an inner journey is a journey of the subconscious, it allows the individual to reflect on their progress and development in the light of encounters which challenge and inspire them. Concepts of inner journey can be seen in Matt Cameron’s Contemporary Australian theatre and drama Ruby moon and Gus Van Sant’s Good will hunting.... [tags: Gus Van Sant, Good Will Hunting, Matt Damon]
1473 words (4.2 pages)
- Since the beginning of the motion picture in the early 20th century, horror movies have been recognized as a genre of movie for those who seek a good source of thrill and nail-biting entertainment. From the time when horror movies had begun as new and upcoming source of entertainment to the current day, many subcategories of these horror flicks have diverged. Some examples of those subcategories are supernatural, horror-comedies, psychological, suspense, and monsters (Vantrepotte). One of the more prominent types of horror films could be illustrated as a sadistic tortuous blood and gore fest, otherwise known as “torture porn.” The producers and directors in the cinematic world argue that the... [tags: horror movies, friday the 13th]
1510 words (4.3 pages)
- Native Country 's History And Culture
- The State Of Delaware The Death Penalty
- William Shakespeare 's ' The Arms Of Claudius '
- The First Strategic Issue That Ua Has Not Having Sufficient International Appearance On Overseas Markets
- The Us Has A Long History Of Oppression
- Film Review Of ' Night Of The Living Dead '