Essay PreviewMore ↓
Moe’s Southwest grill is a casual atmosphere burrito bar owned by FOCUS brands. Moe’s headquarters is currently located in Atlanta, Georgia. Moe's Southwest Grill is a chain of about 360 quick-service eateries in 36 states that offer standard Tex-Mex favorites, including burritos, quesadillas, and fajitas, in a quirky, fun atmosphere. 800 more franchise deals signed and currently awaiting construction. Menu items are named after TV, movie, and pop culture references, such as the Art Vandalay, the Triple Lindy, and the Joey Bag of Donuts. Nearly all of the company's restaurants are operated by franchisees. Moe’s is a business format franchise and is available for single-location or multiple-location deals. The franchise fee for a single-location deal is $30,000 non-refundable. In order to open a store location a franchise is expected to have $200,000 in liquid capital and $600,000 in total assets. Moe’s Southwest Grill, a 2007 Top Ten Growth Chain according to Restaurant Hospitality and Technomic, is prepared for vigorous franchise growth. Based on the age this franchise and the growth they have experienced so far, this appears to be an excellent investment opportunity. Moe’s primary competition consist of Qdoba Mexican Grill and Chipotle.
Moe’s Southwest grill is a fairly new franchise concept. Moe’s was organized July 17, 2000 in Atlanta, Georgia by founder and CEO H. Martin Sprock III. The first franchises were offered in 2001. Their parent company is Raving Brands, franchisor of Doc Green’s, Mams Fu’s, Planet Smoothie, PJ’s Coffee, Monkey Joe’s. On April 11, 2007, Raving Brands sold Moe's to FOCUS Brands, franchisor of Carvel, Cinnabon, Seattle's Best Coffee, and Schlotzsky's. There headquarters is located at 2915 Peachtree Rd., NE Atlanta, GA 30305. On March 12, 2007, Raving Brands entered into a 40-store development deal with Canadian partner True North Brands, Inc., representing Raving Brands’ move to an international playing field. On March 27, 2007 Moe’s Southwest Grill contracted with North America’s largest food service marketer and distributor, SYSCO Food Services, to consolidate its U.S. food purchasing and distribution program. The company logo MOE’S SOUTHWEST GRILL and a picture is as follows:
Type of Franchise
Moe’s Southwest Grill is a business format franchise headquartered in Atlanta, Georgia. Moe's is a chain of about 360 quick-service eateries in 36 states throughout the U.S. In 2007, Raving Brands entered into a 40-store development deal with Canadian partner True North Brands, Inc.
How to Cite this Page
"Moe's Soutwest Grill." 123HelpMe.com. 23 Apr 2019
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- I. Introduction A. Attention getter- Do you Know that Chipotle uses organic ingredients and naturally raised chicken, pork and beef. B. Credibility statement-"Chipotle Mexican Grill, Inc., is one of the leading fast-casual Mexican restaurants in the United States, with more than 1,200 company-owned outlets in 38 states ( International Directory of Company Histories)." C. Thesis Statement- The purpose of this presentation is to demonstrate why Chipotle is an undisputed leader in the growing fast food casual.... [tags: Chipotle Mexican Grill, Mexican cuisine, Fast food]
808 words (2.3 pages)
- Chipotle Mexican Grill has redefined the restaurant industry over the past twenty years. Before Chipotle, there were essentially no restaurants that offered high quality food and tailored orders at fast-food speeds. Chipotle successfully created this experience, which is now considered “fast casual” dining. Steve Ells, the founder of Chipotle, opened his first restaurant in 1993 in Denver, Colorado. Now there are more than 1,500 locations across the globe. Ells focuses on “sourcing the best possible ingredients, serving the tastiest food, and growing the most capable team”.... [tags: Chipotle, Ells, Qdoba]
1101 words (3.1 pages)
- Every play contains a story and every story, a message. The Spitfire Grill is no exception. This play recounts the story of Percy, a young woman reintegrating with society after spending five hard years in prison. Through newfound friends, Percy finds her way out of the dark and lonely life she’s been living, and into a life where she’s surrounded by people who love her, despite her past. From seeing the show, I can only conclude that two primary themes emerge from Percy’s story: redemption and forgiveness.... [tags: Actor, Theatre, English-language films, Character]
976 words (2.8 pages)
- The Riverside Grill is contemplating developing a new menu, and a survey has been created to gather information about the food preferences and behaviors of patrons (Wildemuth 257). The stated research goal of the survey is to access patron preferences for the development of the new menu. Factors considered include type of food and beverage patrons like and the time of the day that patrons like to eat it. A clear sense of the survey’s purpose and clear questions were needed to ensure that the data gathered will answer the research goal (Palys 167).... [tags: Restaurants, Business]
1790 words (5.1 pages)
- ... They are cheaper than natural lump charcoal, burn for longer and produce a more uniform heat. However, they lot off a chemical smell and need to be burnt to white ash before actually placing meat on the grill. On the other hand, lump charcoal ignites faster and provides a distinct smoky flavour to the barbecued meat and is easier to clean up later. Most grill lovers prefer the lump charcoal to briquettes. Gas grills – These grills use natural gas or propane as the main source of fuel. These type of grills comprise of three main parts – a gas source which maybe in the form of a cylinder or pipeline, a burner and a cooking grid where the meat is to be placed.... [tags: types, factors, grills]
548 words (1.6 pages)
- Chipotle Mexican Grill, Inc., familiar to many people as Chipotle, is preparing to launch a new customer awareness campaign aligned with the company’s vision of providing “Food With Integrity”, high-quality ingredient food grown with respect to the environment served fast (Chipotle Mexican Grill Inc., 2015). Currently, the restaurant offers customers a selective line of food items where customers can build up to 65,000 variations of their own burritos, tacos, burrito bowls, and salads using only the best fresh organic ingredients.... [tags: Fast casual restaurant, Fast food restaurant]
1664 words (4.8 pages)
- When looking at Morgan-Moe’s drug stores methods, for each of the store managers to choose from, they were created to improve sales and decrease employee turnover. The store managers may pick any method they think will help them, and their store, succeed. The data is a little bit concerning, due to the fact that some of the methods that are chosen have such a high average turnover, with little profit per week. There is a distinct difference between the management styles between all the methods. If a manager, was not the best manager, and just chose the traditional management style, there would be a high average turnover and the weekly profits would be small.... [tags: Management, Management styles, Employment]
1013 words (2.9 pages)
- In some parts of the world, grilling is more common and an important part of life. Finding the right grill is very tricky and tough, because choices and models available in the market are close to endless. You will find everything from a classic charcoal grill to a high-end gas barbecue grill with optional burner. If you are looking a compact and powerful grill, then choosing a Weber charcoal grill is highly recommended. Widely recognized as a top grill brand, Weber brings to this compact and portable size Jumbo Joe Gold charcoal grill for your everyday or occasional usage.... [tags: Barbecue, Grilling, Square inch, Baking]
1278 words (3.7 pages)
- 1.1 Brief History Chipotle Mexican Grill originated in Denver, Colorado in 1993. In 1998, McDonald’s became the majority shareholder; however, in 2006, McDonald’s divested its controlling interest. Chipotle became a public company listed on the New York Stock Exchange in 2006. It currently has 1,083 locations across the United States and Canada. In May 2010, Chipotle expanded into Europe, opening their first restaurant in the United Kingdom. (Form 10-K Chipotle Mexican Grill, Inc., 2011) 1.2 Product Offering Chipotle’s cuisine is Mexican.... [tags: Marketing ]
1019 words (2.9 pages)
- Executive Summary Our team has been instructed to help advise on a business case involving a restaurant, The Mongolian Grill. It’s owner, John Butkus, is contemplating renovations, in hopes of adding capacity and increasing revenue. There are several scenarios that are available to him. One option is to add an extra food bar. The second option is to move the location of the cooking area. He can also implement both options, if he so chooses. Our team has done the appropriate financial calculations, as well as qualitative considerations.... [tags: Business]
1767 words (5 pages)
Franchise Agreement and Legal Documents
1. The franchise agreement permits the franchisee to be sued in Georgia. Out of stat litigation may force you to accept a less favorable settlement. It may also cost you more to litigate with us in Georgia than in your home state. Although the franchise agreement states that the franchisee may be sued in Georgia, local law may supersede this provision in your state.
2. The franchise agreement states that Georgia law governs the agreement, and this law may not provide the same protections and benefits as local law. You may want to compare these laws. Although the franchise agreement states that Georgia law governs, local law may supersede this provision.
3. There may be other risks concerning this franchise
A copy of the franchise agreement and other legal documents are attached in the appendices section of the report.
The franchise application includes a six step process as follows:
Step 1: Request For Consideration
The first step to owning your own Moe’s franchise is to complete Moe's Request for Consideration Form with as much detail as possible (if you have not already done so). This will give us the necessary information to help us better understand your background and your plans for owning a Moe’s.
Step 2: Franchise Sales Director Meeting
After completing the RFC and submitting it to us, the next step is to discuss your plans and the information from your completed RFC with one of our Franchise Sales Directors. They will contact you shortly after receiving and reviewing your RFC.
Step 3: Franchise Disclosure and Due Diligence
If, during the first face-to-face meeting with one of our Franchise Sales Directors you are interested in continuing the process towards owning a Moe’s, he or she will provide you with our disclosure document, commonly referred to as the UFOC. This document is required by the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) and certain state laws and explains in detail a Moe’s franchise. The franchise agreement that you would sign is included in the UFOC for you to start reviewing. We will need the signature receipt page at the back of the UFOC as a record that we properly gave you this document. The FTC requires that you not sign a franchise agreement or pay the franchise fee if you have not first been given the UFOC to review for 10 business days. This is the time you should be conducting your due diligence on the Moe’s concept.
Step 4: Franchise Application
After you have addressed all of the pre-ownership issues listed above and you are ready and committed to own your own Moe’s Southwest Grill, the next step is to complete the franchise application. The Franchise Sales Director for your area will collect your application and put together the complete “review package” for Moe’s franchise review committee. Moe’s franchise review committee meets every Monday and Thursday to review franchise applications.
Step 5: Signing the Franchise Agreement & Paying the Franchise Fee
If Moe’s franchise review committee approves your application, you will be sent the franchise agreements that you will be required to sign. Again, an exact copy of these agreements are incorporated in the UFOC. The FTC and certain state laws also require that you hold these agreements for 5 business days before you can sign them and pay the franchise fee. Once the holding period of 5 business days has passed, you are now ready to sign the agreements and return them to us, along with the franchise fee. Once we receive the signed agreements into our Atlanta office with the franchise fee and all necessary documentation, we will countersign your agreements and send you back a copy.
Step 6: The Fun Begins!
Once we have countersigned your agreement, you are now officially a Moe’s franchisee and our franchise support team will begin working directly with you to open your store as quickly and efficiently as possible.
The Moe’s Request for Consideration form is a preliminary form to find out some basic information about the applicant. They want to know your contact information and whether or not you’re planning on having a partner. They want to know what your business and professional background is and specifically have you been the previous owner of a business. Next they will ask about your financial aspects such as total liquid assets, other assets, how much of your own money are you looking to invest, liabilities and net worth. In this form they also ask about what locations you are interested in and whether you would consider a multi-location deal. The link for the Moe’s Request for Consideration is as follows:
Standard Franchisor Services
• Access to FOCUS Brands development network of real estate brokers, architects, lenders, contractors, and department tools and resources
• Design and construction support and assistance
• Dedicated franchise support team
• Intensive classroom instruction at Moe’s University
• Hands-on training in a current franchise store
• Training reference manuals, including electronic supplements
• Web site access to training tools
• Innovative marketing plans, programs and promotions
• High quality merchandising, point of purchase and advertising materials
• Seasonal marketing campaigns
• Online access to a database of local store marketing ideas and materials
• Proprietary recipes and new product rollouts
• Regular consultant visits from Moe’s franchise support team
• Regular Q&A consultations
• Business review analysis of store sales and performance vs. system-wide benchmarks
• Operating system manuals
• Cost saving programs through our National Accounts division
• Password-protected intranet
• Moe’s University in Atlanta, Georgia
• Training is mandatory for the franchisee if no previous experience and at least 2 management personnel are required to attend
• MOE’s Management Training Program Manual
• 2 week training program
• Must be completed prior to opening a franchise location
• Combination of in-class and hands-on training
• Must score a 90% or better on written exam
They do not offer, either directly or indirectly, any financing arrangements. Interested franchisees can consider a one-location, three-location, or ten-location deal.
Minimum Financial Requirements:
$200,000 liquid cash
$600,000 total net worth
Franchise Fee Per Concept:
Franchise Fee is comprised of the following categories:
• Real estate Site selection-13%
• Construction Assistance and Consulting-18%
• Corporate Training-27%
• Store Opening-32%
Other fees include:
• Royalty- 5% of net sales every two weeks
• Advertising fee- Up to 2% of net sales every two weeks
• Local advertising expenditure- 2% of net sales as determined by franchisee
• Transfer fee-$10,000 upon approval of transfer by company
• Renewal fees- Whatever current conditions are
Allocation of initial investment according to 2003 UFOC:
Moe’s seeks qualified franchise partners interested in multi-unit development in exclusive territories around the world. Each development agreement normally involves a development schedule of at least ten retail locations to be developed over a period of three to five years. The number of stores is based on the size of the territory granted and may exceed this number substantially. Investment ranges vary and minimum qualifications in terms of liquid capital available and total net worth are typically upwards of US $1,100,000.00 and a net worth of a minimum near twice that amount. In instances where development is determined to be greater than the minimum level of ten, significant additional liquidity and net worth will be required. According to available information Moe’s does not currently have any open stores in the international market. However, on March 12, 2007, Raving Brands entered into a 40-store development deal with Canadian partner True North Brands, Inc., representing Raving Brands’ move to an international playing field.
• Moe’s was organized July 17, 2000 in Atlanta, Georgia by founder and CEO H. Martin Sprock III.
• Moe's Southwest Grill is a chain of about 360 quick-service eateries in 36 states that offer standard Tex-Mex favorites, including burritos, quesadillas, and fajitas, in a quirky, fun atmosphere.
• The first franchises were offered in 2001 by parent company Raving Brands.
• Moe’s was sold by Raving Brand to FOCUS brands.
• The franchise fee per concept is $30,000.
• Moe’s requires a minimum of $200,000 in liquid assets and $600,000 in total assets.
• Currently Moe’s does not list international locations; however they are pursuing international options.
• Moes’ is one of the fastest growing franchises in the U.S.
• Moe’s Southwest Grill, a 2007 Top Ten Growth Chain according to Restaurant Hospitality and Technomic, is prepared for vigorous franchise growth.
Moe’s 2003 Uniform Franchise Offering Circular
Moe’s 2003 Franchise Agreement
Grinberg, Emanuella.”Jerry Garcia’s Heirs Sue Over Burrito Chains Use of His Image” Court TV News. http://www.courttv.com/people/2005/0112/garcia_ctv.html
“Moe’s Confirms Sale” Tampa Bay Business Journal. April 12, 2007
Moe’s Southwest Website. http://www.moes.com/
FOCUS Brands. http://www.focusbrands.com/