Video games have been intensely speculated and observed since the day were released, and continues to be studied. Gaming has become very popular in the last decade, and its very common for someone to own some sort of entertainment system. Video games are open to all ages but attracts a great deal of the younger crowd. As any parent would, they want to make sure that their child is safe. Unfortunately, the stereotypes surrounding the gaming community, have given video games a poor reputation. People have come to believe that video games are a waste of time that lead to violent behavior, psychological damage, and social sheltering. The key to this is moderation, anything in excess can be detrimental and it’s important to keep that in mind. That being said, I intend to enlighten my target audience, parents, that such stereotypes are far from the truth
The false assumptions people have about the gaming community influenced my main question, “Why is gaming looked down upon?” Gaming is a safe haven and escape for many people, and studies have revealed the social and cognitive benefits of gaming, especially for those with mental disabilities and illnesses but these benefits are not limited to those with disabilities. Video games are more than just a mindless activity, it is a life style and has more to offer than many believe. Gaming is not dangerous nor is it illegal, but it does have its limits and there are regulations to keep the industry in line.
I have been a member of the gaming community for over a decade. My primary focus will be on the generic controller based video game style, as this is not a timeline based piece. I am a customer of violent console gaming, which puts a bias label on my side. I have ...
... middle of paper ...
...ggression. These studies together approach the assumption delicately and effectively all while remaining fair in the subject.
The news expanded upon the fact that video games can help relieve stress. An article published by The Telegraph (telegraph.co.uk) said that after a study done by, Clinical Psychologist, Dr. Ferguson, he discovered that violent video games showed a reduction in aggressive behavior in kids with depression and ADHD.
Parents have and always will be concerned about the children whether it’d be mental and physical health, the choices they make, morals, and in this case; supervision. The gaming world is evolving at an exponential rate, surfacing more concerns. The objective of this Research Project is to further examine the positive impact violent video games have on behavior as well as the therapeutic benefits that gaming has to offer.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Video Games Are Beneficial Video Games have come a long way since their first introduction into the main stream. With video games becoming more sophisticated and using advanced technology, it seems as if video games are closing in on the gap between games and reality. However, as video games become ever so life-like it brings up the question of if the violence associated with video games is having a negative consequence. There have been many accusations over the years over the harm video games are causing children and teenagers.... [tags: Video Games]
1872 words (5.3 pages)
- Video games are constantly frowned upon and is usually associated with stupidity or immaturity. However, in today’s age, video games have been making big impacts through the advancement of technology and will continue to do so. Rarely, do you hear someone talk about the positives and try to justify the playing of video games. Binge- playing is never healthy but a reasonable amount of time spent playing video games can be quite stimulating for our brains. Video games positively impact the lives of the player(s) because they help/ train players to make quicker and more accurate decisions.... [tags: Human brain, Brain, Video game]
1142 words (3.3 pages)
- The effect violent video games have on real-world behavior has long been a hotly debated topic. Some argue that violent video games can cause increased levels of aggression, especially in kids, while others argue that games themselves don’t cause violence, but are rather one prominent risk factor for violent real-world behavior. My stance is that video games do not lead to violent behavior in neither kids nor adults. I also believe that it is up to the parent(s) to decide if their child can play a violent video game.... [tags: Crime, Violence, Video game controversy]
1081 words (3.1 pages)
- Video Games do Not Cause Violent Behaviour in Children or Adolescents From the beginnings of the industry, violence in video games has been an issue of discussion. From the pixilated weaponry in 'Space Invaders' to the myriad of weapons in 'Unreal Tournament 2003,' games have evolved over the years. Newer games are more real. Their environments are more immersive. Small details such as rain drops or a falling corpse are now realistically detailed in the games we play. Because of this, some people believe that this level of realism is desensitizing our kids and making them violent.... [tags: Video Games Teen Viloence Argumentative Essays]
745 words (2.1 pages)
- Furthermore, tests like the TCRTT are subject to a lot of scrutiny. Many of the studies that use this form of testing “provide only questionable or inconsistent evidence” (Ferguson). To add to this, not all TCRTT are run the same. There are a total of four different measuring methods from this one test which allows the “risk of capitalizing on chance” (Ferguson), a very major problem when preforming a study. There is also no standard way of interpreting the results of measuring the results which allows bias to come through in results and further shows a reliance on chance.... [tags: Violence, Aggression, Evidence]
1151 words (3.3 pages)
- Video games have been argued about for decades. Some people have argued that video games are linked to violence. However, new research shows that video games can be used for therapeutic purposes, exercise, stress relievers, positive interactive learning, hand eye coordination, and different types of patient treatment for people all around the world. When playing video games, the coordination and concentration can physically, socially, and mentally benefit the user. Research today shows that certain video games can reduce fat and therefore promote weight loss.... [tags: Video Games]
1776 words (5.1 pages)
- In 1972, the famous video game Pong was released and quickly became the first popular arcade game. A simple game based on ping-pong with archaic graphic design and controls. Thirty-nine years later we have gone from Pong to elaborate Hollywood style games that are based around narrative like Call of Duty or Metal Gear Solid. Video games have come from simply being games to becoming what some argue is a new medium for narrative that can tell a story uniquely and completely unlike film and literature.... [tags: Video Games]
1426 words (4.1 pages)
- The use of video games has become a norm for many people and families. They may be used to relax after a long day of work, or as a way for the family to all participate in something together. Many people view video games as just another form of entertainment, but could they actually be more. Meditation is used as a therapy to reduce the stress of everyday life. It is a way to focus one’s mind on the present and alleviate the stress that life can cause. By focusing on something besides stress, a person is able to relax.... [tags: Video Games]
1097 words (3.1 pages)
- Did you know that Pong; the first game made by Atari, wasn’t originally meant to be released to the public. A new Atari employee was given the assignment of making it simply as a test of his game design skills. Since Pong became a hit, video games have been a large part of the entertainment business. They have found their way into homes all over the world. “You can’t say that video games grew out of pinball, but you can assume that video games wouldn’t have happened without it. It’s like bicycles and cars.... [tags: Video Games]
2092 words (6 pages)
- Do videogames really need to be censored by the United States’ Government. Over the past several years there has been a controversial court case under discussion to censor videogames. This case is trying to get the United States’ Government to prohibit the selling of all videogames that may include graphic violence, virtual sex, violent and gory scenes, partial or full nudity, portrayal of criminal behavior or other provocative and objectionable material (Mears, Para 1). There are numerous arguments why videogames should or should not be censored.... [tags: Government, Censoring Video Games]
2197 words (6.3 pages)