When I first look at this topic, a person came to my mind was my 14 year old cousin. He is a junior high school student and he is really addicted to the video game. My cousin is living with my grandmother and every weekend I visit my grandmother I will see him sitting in front of the table playing video games. What shocked me was he never help my grandmother with any housework even my grandmother is 75 years old. On the other hand, I barely see him going out with his friends on weekend he even didn’t talk to me a lot when I visitor my grandmother. And I can say video is really affecting my cousin’s life. Based on the data provided by U.S. Government, there are 97% of U.S. kids age 12-17 play video games, contributing to the $21.53 billion domestic video game industry. And more than 50% top-selling video games contain violence . It is a large number of American children are playing violent video games. And violent video games are becoming more and more popular in young children, also more people start to consider the effect of violent video games to our minors. In this paper, I think for minors’ healthy growth they should not play violent video games. And I will address some concerns about this issue.
Let’s start with some arguments about this issue. The controversies of violent video games are societal and scientific arguments about whether playing violent video games will influence players’ behavior and attitudes or not. There are many voices have blamed violent video games for school shootings, and violence towards women or animals. On the other hand, some people also arguing that violent video games are under the laws governing freedom of speech and also as an educational tool helpi...
... middle of paper ...
...u hear about the high school gun shooting happened? Do you shake your head when you see our young generation spending their good times on violent video games? Well I am and I do. We really need to stop minors playing violent video games. Minors should go hanging out with their friends after school like 30 years ago when the internet was not that popular. Children should spend more time with their family. Instead of playing violent video games at home, it is better for them to spend more time take a walk with their parents after dinner. Overall when deciding on whether or not violent video games should be banned for minors, both sides offering strong supports for themselves. The other sides of the debate, including violent video Games are constitutionally protected freedom of speech and economics  , should come second to our children’s health and development.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Should Violent Video Games Be Banned. In 2008, the computer and video game industry has made $1.7 billion in revenue. Of this, 16% was made through the sale of violent video games (FYI: Video Game Statistics by the Entertainment Software Association | Critical Gaming Project). Many parents are concerned about these violent games because of how they can affect their children. Many think that these games are dangerous and should be banned. Others believe that the sale of these games should go unregulated.... [tags: minors, violent, video games, ratings]
1266 words (3.6 pages)
- For my research paper, the topic that I have selected is “should minors who commit violent crimes be tried as adults?” I choose this topic for two reasons. The Frist reason is because the United States is currently trying to lower the age to be tried as an adult to fourteen years of age. At fourteen kids are going through a lot of different emotions and hormones which affects their mental status and hinders their capability to make the right or wrong decision. The second is because every person on this earth makes mistakes in their life, but at a younger age many of the mistakes are due to how the juvenile is raised, their environment and being in the wrong place at the wrong time.... [tags: Crime, Decision making, Decision theory]
737 words (2.1 pages)
- Violent video games should not be banned from the United States. Violent video games are not related to real-world violence. These games in fact can enhance reading and visual skills that can be used in the real world. Even if a state was to ban the sale of violent video games they would be going against the constitution. Also statistics show that while violent video game sales increase teen violence decreases. There should be no banning of violent video games anytime soon. First of all video games can benefit the person playing the game.... [tags: real-world-violence, visual skills]
636 words (1.8 pages)
- Violent video games have become more realistic every year. Children spend about 40 hours seated in front of a screen killing cartoon characters. It has been debated whether minors under the age of 18 should play violent video games that contain physical harm, killing, and sexual assault. In the contrary, people say video games increases the capacity of learning of children, but violent video games cause great damages. Although there are an increase learning skills playing video games, violent video games should be prohibited to minors because it changes an individual behavior, physical, and brain.... [tags: Video game, Video game controversy]
1121 words (3.2 pages)
- What were the main results/conclusions in the studies. On the classical study, Bandura et al. (1963) found that all three experimental groups (both boys and girls) imitated aggression viewed in models. Children in groups exposed to aggression by a film or cartoons, showed twice aggression than those in the control group. However, of the three experimental groups, the exposure of a human model in a film portraying aggression was the most imitated. Researchers concluded that the gender of the models, especially male models, had a significant effect on learning and executing aggression; additionally, male children tend to be more aggressive compared to girls, even in non-diverted children.... [tags: Violence, Video game controversy, Aggression]
994 words (2.8 pages)
- Committing violent crimes is never okay. No one should get away with committing violent crimes. Many people strongly believe that young children are too young to be faced with life imprisonment or the horrible living conditions of the prison. Age should not play a huge role when anyone has committed violent crimes such as rape, murder, or even abuse. Human safety is more than important. If anyone puts the safety of an innocent citizen in jeopardy, they should be punished to that extent. When the safety of citizens is involved age becomes a less important factor to consider when dealing with violent crimes.... [tags: Crime, Punishment, Criminal justice]
1244 words (3.6 pages)
- At the present time violence in mass media is appearing frequently in our lives. We are surrounded with it. It encompasses television, film, videogames, internet and music. This has been a controversial issue in America. In this article the author speaks about how violence in mass media effects children. This author also emphasized how violence increases high school shootings, censorship and to restrict content to remove violence in media. This author uses pathos, logos and kairos to emphasize this problem that is out of control.... [tags: Mass media, Media influence, Violence]
1100 words (3.1 pages)
- In the article, Don’t Withhold Violent Games by Jessica Robbins, the author clearly states that violent video games do not negatively affect a child’s well-being. Jessica’s opinion is that the government and parents should find solutions to the problems. However, the government should not be allowed to restrict people of age from purchasing a game of their choice. According to Jessica Robbins, there has been no correlation between violence in the media and crime rates. Jessica Robbins uses logos, ethos, and pathos to prove that violent video games do not affect a child’s well-being.... [tags: Nonviolent video game, Game, Logos, Video game]
956 words (2.7 pages)
- Arizmendi, Anthony Mr. Anderson Period 4 23 February 2015 Do Violent Video Games Contribute to Youth Violence. The children roaming in our present society have gotten more violent, their minds are slowly corrupting as the generations pass by, and all for what. This dramatic change in society is being brought by present day video games, which ultimately contribute to youth violence, for they alter behavior and can be seen in the daily, natural lives of the kids in today’s environment. Other people may argue that violent video games do not affect people’s behavior at all.... [tags: Video game, Violence, Nonviolent video game]
2027 words (5.8 pages)
- Violent Video Games There is much persistent debate throughout culture these days concerning video games. Common questions asked are things like ?Where should the lines be drawn in terms of content. and What audience, if any, is this appropriate for. As lawyers fight, bizarre crimes are blamed on video games, constant studies take place, and technology continues to evolve, the video game world continues to thrive and be extremely profitable. While there is near-constant focus on the supposed ?negatives.... [tags: Violence Computer Game]
862 words (2.5 pages)