During middle adulthood biological and physical changes become apparent. During this time visual perception, hearing and the reproductive system decline. Adults who have never worn glasses or contact lenses may start needing visual correction (pg 424). During this time adults may also need more light to see than their younger friends (pg 424). During middle adulthood individuals, more commonly men, develop a lower sensitivity to high pitch sounds (pg 424). This is the reason why individuals during this stage find it more difficult to hear and interpret other voices.(pg 424). The female reproductive system starts to decline, slowly ending in menopause. The decline in the circulation of estradiol, the primary hormone of estrogen, causes many differences in reproductive health. During middle age pubic hair thins, there are changes in vaginal chemistry, and the labia begins to thin and wrinkle (pg 424). The chemical changes within the vagina cause dryness and a greater likelihood of infections (pg 424). For men, the decrease in testosterone during middle age is only small however the decrease causes lower bone density and loss of muscle m...
... middle of paper ...
...le to a disorder under some circumstances (pg 471). Stress can also cause immunosupression, which inhibits the immune system, making it more likely that the individual will become ill (pg 472). In comparison to Dr. Siegel’s video, the key to happiness may be mindfulness and taking life in during the moment. Many people think too much about the past or future and miss the present moment.
In the counseling profession I believe that middle age produces a lot of stress. I would suggest stress-management techniques such as meditation and yoga. I would also suggest incorporating physical activity which is shown to increase endorphins in the body. For individuals having relationship difficulties I would suggest marriage counseling so they could understand the needs of one another and learn how to balance negative and positive effects in their relationship.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- and according to his age the life stage, he falls under would be Middle Adulthood. He is a tall person. He is about 6’0 ft tall and by the way his face looks like, he does not look like if he was forty years of age. I say this because his physical features on his face do not look like a normal forty year old. He looks like if he was in his thirties. He always has a smile on his face and is always laughing. He is not skinny nor would be considered fat either. He is average weight for his height and of course also for his age.... [tags: Family, English-language films, Marriage, Mother]
2073 words (5.9 pages)
- ... The female decided to have eye surgery so that she would not have to wear glasses. Even with the surgery, ten years later, she now relies on reading glasses. In their early forties, both had physicals and revealed high blood pressure, the female also had high cholesterol and the male was diagnosed with Type II diabetes. Through diet and exercise both are now off of medications for these conditions. However they both noticed that when they abandon their exercise routines they gain weight and have to temporarily go back on medications.... [tags: healthy habits, stagnation]
941 words (2.7 pages)
- Middle adulthood is a complex time period that requires a multidimensional outlook to understand all of the processes and changes that are taking place. The many changes during middle adulthood include physical, cognitive and social differences. Many of these changes create significant stress and it is important to understand ways of coping with the anxiety. Many of these coping mechanisms include mindfulness and cultivating a sense of self-efficacy and mastery (pg. 482). There are many changes during middle adulthood that may require stress management techniques and interventions.... [tags: Biological and Physical Changes]
707 words (2 pages)
- Psychological As a product of life history, the ageing of the body during middle adulthood is undeniable. Psychologically, realising one’s own ageing is challenging (Lachman, 2001). Fading youthfulness, decline in physical functioning, changing careers and other dramatic alterations in life often cause anxiety and depression as they are expected to adjust their perception of age. This occurred when they are making a way through the previous occupational lifestyle as it is challenging to adjust their mentality.... [tags: Psychology, Sociology, Parenting]
1034 words (3 pages)
- The Importance of Socialization in Middle and Late Adulthood As we develop we are expected to form social connections, whether it be through friendships, family, or significant others. This socialization is important in maintaining health throughout the lifespan. Having the ability to socialize with others allows the opportunity to maintain mental and physical health. Socialization Throughout Middle Adulthood Family As middle adulthood approaches, family dynamics may shift. According to Arnett (2015), children may be leaving the house, becoming more independent, and so on (p.540).... [tags: Family, Interpersonal relationship, Marriage]
756 words (2.2 pages)
- Middle adulthood is an accomplished time in life. A person in middle adulthood has a career, a family, and the ability to care for and guide the next generation. Even better, the individual is neither “young” nor “old” in terms of age. In this stage of development adults can expect to be occupied with creative and meaningful work. Likewise, they get to “be in charge”, a role they have envied since young adulthood. Although this is a quite stable time in life compared to adolescence, individuals between the ages of 45-65 face many issues.... [tags: life coaching, retirement planning]
1252 words (3.6 pages)
- As someone who in emerging adulthood, I hardly had an idea of what experiences during middle adulthood is like. With that however, I set out to explore this stage by interviewing someone who could give me a fresh perspective on this time range. My interviewee was my mother -- who is currently at the age of 42, is female, and happily married. Additionally, she comes from a traditional, Vietnamese family, has several siblings, and two teenage children. Furthermore, my interview with her lasted approximately an hour, and was conducted at home after dinner time.... [tags: Family, Developmental psychology, Parent, Adult]
978 words (2.8 pages)
- What are two major issues people face in middle adulthood and how are they different from the issues people face as young adults. Two major issues that face people in middle adulthood are generally marriage, the starting of a family and the establishment of one’s identity often largely attached to a stable career. Erik Erikson explained these two major issues faced in middle adulthood as the explains: “Two basic aspects of our lives dominate adulthood. Erik Erikson called them intimacy (forming close relationships) and generativity (being productive and supporting future generations).” (Meyers) In middle adulthood most people in modern western culture begin to establish a family through ma... [tags: marriage, intimacy, career, identity]
755 words (2.2 pages)
- "Middle age is when your classmates are so old and wrinkled and bald, they don’t recognize you". -Bennett Cerf Middle adulthood begins at the age of 40 - 60. This is a time when you can’t believe where the time went. It seems like just yesterday you were graduating from college, got married, and had children. Your children are now approaching young adulthood, pushing you into the next stage of life, middle adulthood. You look in the mirror and all the signs of middle age are starting to set in.... [tags: essays research papers]
847 words (2.4 pages)
- Middle Adulthood as a Twentieth Century Phenomenon in Western Culture Middle adulthood is a 20th century phenomenon in Western culture. In 1900, the average life expectancy was 47 years, but now life expectancy has increased- people are living longer and more professionals are studying life during this age period. Between the ages of 35-64, there are vast changes in many areas of their lives.... [tags: Papers]
1716 words (4.9 pages)