Central Carolina Community College has different versions of Microsoft programs and Microsoft Operating System in their computers. Having different programs and operating systems affect students, faculty and staff in their work. If a person does a job using a Microsoft 2013 product and then use a computer that has Microsoft 2010 on it, it will affect their work to the point that they might have to start doing the job all over again. This will provoke the person to become frustrated but most importantly, the person will be taking longer to complete the work. This affect the college, especially when talking about faculty and staff. These people have deadlines for their work and having this issue will definitely affect them to meet their deadline. This mean, losing time and losing money. For this reason, all the computers from the college need to have the same programs and operating system.
The problem comes because these programs are using different file formats and each version have some features that the other version does not have. The following images shows information about some versions of Microsoft Word.
Figure 1: Features in different versions of Word
My Personal Experiences
I, personally, was affected by this problem and have seen many people in the college affected by it, including my bosses. Below I have share some of my experiences when working with different version of the programs and operating systems in school.
Last semester I booked a study room in the library to do a work I needed for a class. I got into the room and I could not find some programs that I needed. One of those programs was snipping tool. It was weird for me that this computer did not have most of the progr...
... middle of paper ...
Students get Microsoft programs for cheaper and even for free. Because of this I know that CCCC can get their product cheaper too. I was not able to get information of prices directly for schools, since for that you need to be part of the faculty or staff and I am not, but I was able to get information of prices for students.
The figure above show the prices for students in College and University. They offer a 4 year subscription for $79.99
The figure above shows and email sent to me by Central Carolina Community College. As you can see this email say I can get Microsoft Office 2013 for free.
My recommendations would be to;
• Install the same Operating System and Software to all computers
• Make a budget for this
• Complete this project during the summer
Completing this will be a great benefit for students, faculty, staff and the college.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Characteristics of an Operating System: Multi-User: A Multi-User is two or more users that have individual accounts that allow them to work with programs and peripheral devices at the same time. Multitasking: Multitasking is when a computer is able to run more than one application at the same time, for example have Microsoft Word and Internet open at the same time. Multiprocessing: Multiprocessing is when an Operating System can support multiple Computer Processing Units (CPU’s) Multithreading: Multithreading is when a program can complete multiple tasks at the same time.... [tags: Operating system, Microsoft Windows, Microsoft]
1410 words (4 pages)
- 1 System Software: The system software is installed on your device when you installed your current operating system. You can update the software by running programs such as "Windows Update" for Windows or "Software Update" for Mac OS X. Unlike application programs, however, system software is not meant to be run by the end user. For example, while you might use your Web browser every day, you probably have nothing to make much use of an assembler program (unless, of course, you are a computer programmer).... [tags: Operating system, Microsoft, Microsoft Windows]
859 words (2.5 pages)
- Operating system is system software that controls the system’s hardware that interacts with users and the application software. As we all may know, Windows Microsoft has always been a commercial high-level sale in the retail industry and an in domain operating system used today. But there are more operating systems than just Windows Microsoft than the general population may assume. Linux is another well-known operating systems, which is free and open-source software. Linux is also used in companies we would have never thought of like Google, NASA, USPS, Amazon and many more companies.... [tags: Operating system, Microsoft Windows, Linux]
1939 words (5.5 pages)
- Introduction “An operating system (OS) is system software that manages computer hardware and software resources and provides common services for computer programs. The operating system is a component of the system software in a computer system. Application programs usually require an operating system to function” ("Operating System"). The operating system is the central program on any computer. The operating systems is essential because it runs the other programs and applications. “Operating systems perform basic tasks, such as recognizing input from the keyboard, sending output to the display screen, keeping track of files and directories on the disk, and controlling peripheral devices such... [tags: Operating system, Microsoft Windows, Microsoft]
1617 words (4.6 pages)
- Operating systems An operating system is software that completes a device this ranges from a phone, to tablet, to a computer and more. This software is the part of the computer that you know is there but you are not able to touch. It acts as a mediator between the hardware of the device and the user. This is what accepts commands from the user and then lets the hardware know what to do or what the user is requesting. Picture you’re in a foreign country that speaks a different language but you have a friend that 's there with you and they speak that language.... [tags: Operating system, Graphical user interface]
1041 words (3 pages)
- Here at Soap-n-Suds we are currently using the Windows Xp operating system, which came out in 2001 and has now been unsupported as of April 8, 2014. We are currently deciding on what operating system will be best for our business to run more efficiently so we can keep our customers coming back. The windows operating system that we are currently planning to have is windows 10, which came out on July 29 of this year. Still we are not planning on upgrading our computers right away, before doing that we would like to figure out what will be needed.... [tags: Operating system, Microsoft Windows, Macintosh]
1393 words (4 pages)
- ANANTH SAI KRISHNA BATTINENI BELLEVUE UNIVERSITY CIS612-T202 – COMPUTER PLATFORMS AND NETWORKING ASSIGNMENT 8.1 Principles Underlying Operating System: An Operating System (OS) is a manager which manages hardware and software components and makes them usable to the end user. There are many operating systems available to use such as Windows, Android, Linux and Apple OS. All operating systems(OS) are designed with some fundamental principles keeping in mind.... [tags: Operating system, Microsoft Windows]
1600 words (4.6 pages)
- Linux began in 1991 by a Finnish student named Linus Torvalds, when he constructed a project to create a free operating system kernel. He wrote the Linux program for the hardware he was using which contained a 80386 processor. Since that time, Linux has exponentially grown and now contains more than 18 million lines of source code. The Linux trademark is owned by the creator, Linus Torvalds, but the Linux kernel is governed by a license known as the GPL (GNU General Public License). The GPL allows users to modify, copy, or distribute software under the license provided.... [tags: Operating system, Apple Inc., Mac OS X, Microsoft]
779 words (2.2 pages)
- Since the early 1980’s, Microsoft Corporation has been a global leader in software technology . Founded by Bill Gates and Paul Allen , Microsoft’s history with computing and software is quite lengthy as is accomplished. According to their company website, Gates and Allen began small, but went on with the express goal to famously ensure that there was “a computer on every desktop and in every home. ” In subsequent years, Microsoft positioned its brand as an innovative leader in software, and begins to proceed to change the way we work.... [tags: Operating system, Microsoft, Microsoft Windows]
1569 words (4.5 pages)
- Operating System Paper Introduction Operating Systems have come a long way since the times of a separate windows system and Disk Operating System (DOS). Now, both systems are combined which made DOS obsolete. According to Capron (2001), “An operating system is a set of programs that lies between applications software and computer hardware; it is the fundamental software that controls access to all other software and hardware resources” (p. 65). Operating systems have three main functions: to manage computer resources, to establish user interface and to execute and provide services for application software.... [tags: Technology Operating System Computer]
1462 words (4.2 pages)
- The Pursuit Of Influencing Outcomes Of Social Advocacy
- Developing A Curriculum Design That Promotes The Transition Of Nursing Students
- Analysis Of The Movie ' Living Out Loud '
- What And The Benefits Of The Changes Within The Group And Overall Business
- A Nurse, What Will They Tell You?
- How Male And Female Students Use Language Differently By Deborah Tannen