A role model is someone you look up to, someone you admire. Whether it be a family member, an actor or actress, a friend, or an athlete -- these people who you see as a role model are people you look up to to inspire and influence who you are as a person. They help to better who you are because they care for you. I proudly call my sister, my father, and my grandmother my role models. Throughout my childhood, my sister, Nikki Tam, contributed to my confident demeanor. In my days of early adolescence, my father, Alan Tam, influenced my mindset to establish and follow strong morals. Today, my grandmother, Maxima Ramos, illustrates the quality of strength -- mental and physical strength. Ultimately, those three people made a large contribution to shaping me into the woman I am today.
Nikki Ramos Tam, Nikki, Niks, Nicolette, but I most commonly refer to her as my sister. She is my only sister who is just one year and twelve days younger than me. Though she is younger, she is someone who inspired me to be courageous and stand up for those I love. When we were younger, more often than not, people would ask us if we were twins up until about the sixth grade. Considering we are sisters, we have fairly similar features. Aside from our similar tan skin, we have grown to look in our own distinct ways now. She has a rounder face with high, prominent cheekbones with some acne scars on her cheeks. Under her thick, neatly shaped eyebrows, are her football shaped eyes. When rested she has slightly plumped lips, but when smiling, her upper lip curls in a bit. She has long black to blonde hair that is a bit frizzy, but it is usually tamed by curls or braids. One summer, when I was the age of nine and Nikki was eight, ...
... middle of paper ...
...hness and emotional strength, despite all her pain.
In life, everyone has those people that they look up to to influence who they are as a person. My sister, my dad, and my grandmother have all taken part to better me as a person in my life, whether they know it or not. From Nikki, I learned to stand up for the people I love after my encounter with the rough boy during grab the chicken. My father opened up about his past to change my mindset and morals to better myself and my attitude toward people around me. From my grandmother, I have learned to cherish the value of life while being a strong person both emotionally and physically. I can say that these three people are the people I look up to to inspire and influence who I am. I hope in some ways, as they have done for me, they could say they have admired me as a role model at one point in their lives as well.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- The program that was chosen as an example of a way to interfere with the cycle of violence was Peacebuilders. Peacebuilders was created by Michelle Molina and was created in May of 2003. Peacebuilders is a school-wide youth violence prevention program. Peacebuilder’s theory is to reduce youth violence by providing early prevention in childhood. This program targets experiences that the child has had that triggers aggressive behavior, reward pro-social behavior, and gives strategies to avoid reinforcing negative behaviors.... [tags: children, teachers, principals]
1171 words (3.3 pages)
- During these times, once you turn on your television set you are abruptly notified on yet another absurd act that a celebrity had committed the night before. The media becomes engrossed by the despicable behavior and ravages at it as if it was the final grain of rice. Once they have completed a story that is at the right level of crudeness, they deliver it to the public. The vulgar news reaches households all across the world, and then it soon pollutes the minds of innocent and young children. At a young age, boys and girls commonly compare themselves with reference groups of people who occupy the social role to which they desire.... [tags: Celebrities, children, role models,]
692 words (2 pages)
- Over the past 50 years Barbie has not only been a best friend to many little girls across America but she has been a role model to them as well. Barbie is everything any growing girl would want to be. After all she is living the dream, not only with the materialistic aspects of her life like the houses, cars and of course we cannot forget about her fashion, but also with her extensive resume filled with many careers. Or at least that is what the creators of Barbie intended for her but the reality is that Barbie can only truly be relatable to a small demographic of girls.... [tags: Eye color, Human skin color, Barbie, Mattel]
963 words (2.8 pages)
- People look up to celebrities as role models, the youth especially. The youth believes that if they imitate these cynosures they will become affluent and legendary. Famous people imply that if the youth act insubordinately they will be successful in life. Celebrities of today are not appropriate role models for this generation. Everywhere a person looks, sex is exalted by celebrities. Commercials and advertisements now use risqué celebrities who are half naked to endorse their products. A 'Got Milk?' advertisement used an exposed photograph of Miley Cyrus with nothing but a sheet covering her breasts and a portion of her posterior.... [tags: celebrities, role, models, youth, sex]
586 words (1.7 pages)
- I’ve gained interest in books with unapologetic, Afrocentric, but mainly black empowering styles. This portion of “A More Perfect Union” touched on the black empowering theme. As I read this piece, it confirmed that this was a book that I plan to add to my reading list. Surprisingly, I agreed with at least 95% of the text, and considered just about all it right. It was easy for me to agree with the text was because I could relate to most of the matters President Obama discussed. One matter I certainly could relate to was the controversy with President Obama and his former pastor Reverend Wright.... [tags: African American, Barack Obama, Michelle Obama]
740 words (2.1 pages)
- How Women Govern When women are elected into office, they tend to have better or equal outcomes as men. Women tend to be more liberal and more willing to build coalitions in order to receive support for their initiatives (Sandler, 2012). Research has found that when it comes to effective governance, women in office secure almost ten percent more federal funding than their male colleagues and introduce twice as many bills (Sandler, 2012). Women also bring about more legislation on traditionally “women’s issues” and also issues affecting children, families, and minorities.... [tags: Gender role, Gender, Woman, Transgender]
1763 words (5 pages)
- There are various displays of leadership and role modeling in the Shakespearean play 'Romeo and Juliet'. When one hears the term leader, there may be some confusion around what qualities a leader may or may not possess. One should also avoid confusing a good leader with a good role model, because although a good role model may possess similar qualities, there are a few qualities that are required in order to be a strong leader. Two very good examples of the contrasts between a good leader and a good role model are the characters Friar Lawrence and the Prince of Verona, in Romeo and Juliet.... [tags: Role Models, Leadership, Romeo and Juliet, shakesp]
800 words (2.3 pages)
- Why Athletes are Good Role Models Ever since the ancient years, we have admired athletes and the hard work that they do to achieve their goal of winning. We idolize them and wish we were more like them. What happens though when the realization sinks in that they are human too and that some of them do get greedy and selfish. A lot of athletes are model citizens that you should really look up to, but there are also some bad apples in the bunch that ruin it for everyone. Athletes can inspire young people to work hard so that their efforts can pay off, but no one is pure and flawless.... [tags: Athletes Athletics Sports Role Models Essays]
1472 words (4.2 pages)
- The chapter we chose to write about was 22, 'Grieving' because it was very moving. In this chapter William tries to bottle up his feelings about Zach's death and Geoffrey seems to understand Will's grief. It is also William's first Christmas with Mr Tom, so they make homemade toys for incoming evacuees, due to increased bomb raids in London. Will also learns from Geoffrey that 'he can live without Zach, even though he still misses him’ as Will discovers that Geoffrey lost a friend while fighting in the war and learns to overcome his grief.... [tags: Goodnight Mr Tom, Michelle Magorian, ]
859 words (2.5 pages)
- The modeling industry is one that is much more widespread than the tabloid section of the grocery store. These cover girls and runway models have a larger impact than just mere advertisement—they become role models to their fans. Many will go to severe lengths to imitate their unrealistic bodily features through extreme dieting and even body modification, like plastic surgery, and the modeling industry can either prevent or promote young women from idolizing and imitating these social figures. It is undeniable that Western cultures are generally known as the “thin cultures” (Samelson 44).... [tags: role models, real women]
1432 words (4.1 pages)