Michael’s life began in Brooklyn, New York, on February 17th, 1963, where his parents James and Delores always stood by his side. His father, known for his unending support, always gave Michael advice on what to do, never letting him down. His mother made sure Michael headed in the right direction with everything he did. As a child he enjoyed athletics, engaging in basketball, baseball and football. He practiced baseball with his dad, persistently playing catch whenever time allowed. Baseball was his favorite. Even at a young age he had already tasted success by being voted Most Valuable Player on his team. “That was the first big accomplishment in my life,” Michael recalled (Harris, Laurie).
As the years moved on Jordan took interest in other sports. He played basketball on and off the court. He worked so hard that he decided to make the change to basketball. He tried out for his high school basketball team as a sophomore but did not make it. The coach cut him believing that Michael did not have enough experience and that he was too raw. Michael stated that it was embarrassing to not get a place on the team. Distressed, he refused to surrender himself (Brenner, Richard J 2). Michael began training continuously, constantly working on what he felt would make him a better basketball player, and he strived to prove his coach wrong. Every time he exercised and g...
... middle of paper ...
...d strive to be. He changed peoples’ views on great athletes and on basketball. He made lasting impressions in other’s minds on how the game should be played. Jordan thought of everything as an opportunity and proved that achievements can be great. Michael changed other players to view life and sports in that way. Michael worked as hard as possible on the basketball court to help his team succeed; Michael always gives his best. He realizes his mistakes and tries his best to fix them. Michael also a family man, with his three children, he visited hospitals, helping children. Michael is a mighty leader for many people. Today, Jordan takes the time to do every task that comes his way. He is trying to stay away from the public eye and make a good example for his children and for others. I wonder how many more Michael Jordan’s are born in the world every day.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- It is not very often that one person can change someone else’s life by telling a story of his or her own. Michael “Air” Jordan makes that happen. Michael played an important role in changing how people viewed great basketball and strong, hard-working athletes. Michael’s life explains to the world, how with just a little drive, great achievements can be made. Michael’s life began in Brooklyn, New York, on February 17th, 1963, where his parents James and Delores always stood by his side. His father, known for his unending support, always gave Michael advice on what to do, never letting him down.... [tags: Sports, NBA]
2846 words (8.1 pages)
- At every level of basketball there are players that have shined on and off the court, this is true for two exceptional players like Michael Jordan and LeBron James. The debate over these two marvelous athletes and who is the better of the two, has divided sports fans since LeBron earned his first Finals Championship. For many years Michael Jordan has been seen as one of the greatest players to ever play the game of basketball. Michael Jordan was first drafted into the NBA by the Chicago Bulls as the third pick in the first round of the NBA draft of 1984, after finishing his college career at the University of North Carolina.... [tags: Michael Jordan, National Basketball Association]
1147 words (3.3 pages)
- December 21, 1891- The birth of basketball. It has been changed from simply shooting a soccer ball into a peach basket to dunking a seven pound, leather ball into an iron rim. In the early years of the game, basketball was not as popular as other sports. In the 1985 NBA draft all this would change with the emergence of a 6'6" basketball phenomenon from Wilmington, North Carolina. Although going third in the draft, he recreated the game and is known as the best player to ever touch a basketball; he is Michael Jordan.... [tags: Basketball Michael Jordan]
1010 words (2.9 pages)
- Many people who watch or play basketball always argue who is the best of all time, or which basketball player is better than the other. And the most two basketball players that get compared with each other is Kobe Bryant and Michael Jordan. Both of these two players are exciting to watch when they are on the basketball court. Taking a closer look into both of their careers you can see major similarities but you can also see where both of them have their different paths. Even though they both make the basketball world a better place the real question that needs to be answered is who is better.... [tags: Michael Jordan, National Basketball Association]
1121 words (3.2 pages)
- In 1981, Michael Jordan stepped foot on North Carolina’s campus as a top recruited freshman and was soon to be one of only four freshmen to ever earn a starting spot under Coach Dean Smith. The University of North Carolina was where Michael Jordan’s legacy started, and as of now, it will not end anytime soon. In his playing days, Michael was a second overall draft pick, Nike client, six-time NBA champ, six-time NBA finals MVP, five-time NBA MVP, and a fourteen-time all-star. After his playing days were over, Jordan’s impact on the game and on the fans never died.... [tags: Michael Jordan, National Basketball Association]
1024 words (2.9 pages)
- Basketball is one of the most popular sports in America, and only a few of the NBA stars are considered great. There is only one they call the greatest, with six national championships, and 5 MVPs under his name. Michael Jordan could play basketball so many ways he could make an opponent look bad by just passing the ball. Every fan and every announcer loved to say the name “Michael Jordan” or also known as “M.J.” Jordan was the talk of the country, every kid or fan wanted to have his autograph or basketball card.... [tags: NBA, Chicago Bulls, Professional Basketball]
1060 words (3 pages)
- Michael Jordan is known world round ad “Air Jordan”. He acquired this nickname by jumping from the free throw line and dunking. This simulated that he was “flying” through the air. By breaking countless records, winning many NBA titles and being known world round as the best basketball player there ever was, he has forever changed the game of basketball. Michael Jordan has broken many NBA records. One of the most prestigious records he holds is that he has five MVP awards. The MVP award is given to the player that has shown the most value to their team in the whole NBA league.... [tags: Sports, NBA]
648 words (1.9 pages)
- A former American professional basketball player and known as the greatest basketball player of all time, Michael Jordan.He was born in Brooklyn; New York and later moved to North Carolina. He was also known with the nickname “Air Jordan” and “His Airness.” MJ, son from James Jordan and Deloris was married to Juanita Vanoy in September 1989. Jordan had two sons,Jeffrey Michael and Marcus James and a daughter, Jasmine Mickael. But Vanoy divorced him in February 2002. Michael Jeffrey Jordan started his career playing at the college basketball league for the University of North Carolina.... [tags: chicago bulls, nba titles]
906 words (2.6 pages)
- Michael Jordan: Beyond Personal Glory Michael Jordan is the only athlete to have ever gained the middle name "Air" because of his unbelievable ability to soar through the sky before he smashes the ball through the rim. He has managed to defy all obstacles ever thrown his way within the sport of basketball, earning his reputation as the most competitive and determined player in the NBA. Over the span of Michael Jordan's 18 year long career in the NBA, he has enjoyed world wide attention and recognition as the ambassador of basketball.... [tags: Basketball Players Papers]
2127 words (6.1 pages)
- Michael Jordan was one of five children born to James and Delores Jordan. He was born February 17, 1963 in Brooklyn. His parents felt that the streets of Brooklyn were unsafe to raise a young family. So instead of trying to endure the streets of Brooklyn, the Jordan family moved to Wilmington, North Carolina. Michael’s father, James, got a job in Wilmington as a mechanic and his mother Delores got a job as a teller at United Carolina Bank. Michael always had an eye for baseball. He played as an outfielder and as a pitcher.... [tags: essays research papers fc]
979 words (2.8 pages)