Being a professional basketball player is hard, especially when you have one of the biggest impacts on the world. Jordan has inspired many people in the world, not by his basketball skills but his respect and devotion on and off the court. When Jordan first joined the NBA he started a basketball camp for all kids who wanted to attend to help them get better (Biography.com). Having a impact on the world like Jordan does isn’t as easy as it sounds or looks, Jordan has his family life, and basketball life to worry about too.
When Jordan was just 19, he started his college career at the University of North Carolina (biography.com). Even as a college basketball player he was named college basketball player of the year in 1983 and 1984 (Deegan, 5). Bobby Knight, one of the country’s most successful college coaches called Jordan the best basketball player he had ever seen (Biography.com).
Jordan was a star in baseball as kid and was never part of varsity basketball team until his junior year. Jordan was inspired to play basketball by his brothers, who were older and would push Jordan to be be...
... middle of paper ...
...that Michael Jordan is considered a legend. He has played in more games than any other basketball player in history and scored more points than any other basketball player. He has helped with many charities, including his own, and he also played a huge role in the movie Space Jam. Michael Jordan will go down as the best basketball player to ever play the game, but he played in many other roles than just a basketball player.
"Micheal Jordan." Bio.com. A&E Networks Television, n.d. Web. 13 April 2014.
"NBA.com: Michael Jordan Bio." NBA.com: Michael Jordan Bio. N.p., n.d. Web. 2 May 2014.
"Onlinelibrary.com: The Leading Online Library Site on the Net." Onlinelibrary.com: The Leading Online Library Site on the Net. N.p., n.d. Web. 2 May 2014.
Deegan, Paul J. Michael Jordan: Basketball's Soaring Star. Minneapolis: Lerner Publications, 1988. Print.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- A former American professional basketball player and known as the greatest basketball player of all time, Michael Jordan.He was born in Brooklyn; New York and later moved to North Carolina. He was also known with the nickname “Air Jordan” and “His Airness.” MJ, son from James Jordan and Deloris was married to Juanita Vanoy in September 1989. Jordan had two sons,Jeffrey Michael and Marcus James and a daughter, Jasmine Mickael. But Vanoy divorced him in February 2002. Michael Jeffrey Jordan started his career playing at the college basketball league for the University of North Carolina.... [tags: chicago bulls, nba titles]
906 words (2.6 pages)
- At every level of basketball there are players that have shined on and off the court, this is true for two exceptional players like Michael Jordan and LeBron James. The debate over these two marvelous athletes and who is the better of the two, has divided sports fans since LeBron earned his first Finals Championship. For many years Michael Jordan has been seen as one of the greatest players to ever play the game of basketball. Michael Jordan was first drafted into the NBA by the Chicago Bulls as the third pick in the first round of the NBA draft of 1984, after finishing his college career at the University of North Carolina.... [tags: Michael Jordan, National Basketball Association]
1147 words (3.3 pages)
- Many people who watch or play basketball always argue who is the best of all time, or which basketball player is better than the other. And the most two basketball players that get compared with each other is Kobe Bryant and Michael Jordan. Both of these two players are exciting to watch when they are on the basketball court. Taking a closer look into both of their careers you can see major similarities but you can also see where both of them have their different paths. Even though they both make the basketball world a better place the real question that needs to be answered is who is better.... [tags: Michael Jordan, National Basketball Association]
1121 words (3.2 pages)
- In 1981, Michael Jordan stepped foot on North Carolina’s campus as a top recruited freshman and was soon to be one of only four freshmen to ever earn a starting spot under Coach Dean Smith. The University of North Carolina was where Michael Jordan’s legacy started, and as of now, it will not end anytime soon. In his playing days, Michael was a second overall draft pick, Nike client, six-time NBA champ, six-time NBA finals MVP, five-time NBA MVP, and a fourteen-time all-star. After his playing days were over, Jordan’s impact on the game and on the fans never died.... [tags: Michael Jordan, National Basketball Association]
1024 words (2.9 pages)
- December 21, 1891- The birth of basketball. It has been changed from simply shooting a soccer ball into a peach basket to dunking a seven pound, leather ball into an iron rim. In the early years of the game, basketball was not as popular as other sports. In the 1985 NBA draft all this would change with the emergence of a 6'6" basketball phenomenon from Wilmington, North Carolina. Although going third in the draft, he recreated the game and is known as the best player to ever touch a basketball; he is Michael Jordan.... [tags: Basketball Michael Jordan]
1010 words (2.9 pages)
- Everyone knows that Michael Jordan is the greatest basketball player of all time, and the “Flu Game” is a perfect example as to why Jordan is. He had to battle the flu in a very important playoff game. Michael Jordan had so much ambition and aptitude in him that he was able to battle through it and make the game winning bucket. Jordan is a prime example of a kid working hard to achieve his life goals. Michael Jordan pushed himself to greater heights and this proved to people that he was such a great player.... [tags: Michael Jordan, National Basketball Association]
1475 words (4.2 pages)
- Topic: Jordan being the best basketball player ever Specific Purpose: To persuade the audience that Michael Jordan even now in the present is still the greatest player ever to play in the NBA. Primary Audience Outcome: I the want the audience to understand why there should be no controversy on who is the best basketball player ever. Thesis Statement: Michael Jordan set records and has set the example of what the greatest basketball player can accomplish and really set the standards of what a hall of famer basketball player looks like.... [tags: nba, champion, number 23]
554 words (1.6 pages)
- Michael Jordan is a Basketball Role Model When someone says the name Michael Jordan, the first thing that comes to mind is basketball, The Chicago Bulls and Nike shoes. Through the years, Michael Jordan has proved time and time again that he is the greatest basketball player ever, and by performing in this rapidly expanding sporting field, he has gained tremendous popularity throughout the world. People of all ages and from all nationalities have gathered to watch him play. A journalist states 'even your Aunt Matilda might not know nothing about basketball, liked watching him play' (Jonathon 1999:58).... [tags: Papers]
692 words (2 pages)
- Michael Jordan is known world round ad “Air Jordan”. He acquired this nickname by jumping from the free throw line and dunking. This simulated that he was “flying” through the air. By breaking countless records, winning many NBA titles and being known world round as the best basketball player there ever was, he has forever changed the game of basketball. Michael Jordan has broken many NBA records. One of the most prestigious records he holds is that he has five MVP awards. The MVP award is given to the player that has shown the most value to their team in the whole NBA league.... [tags: Sports, NBA]
648 words (1.9 pages)
- It is not very often that one person can change someone else’s life by telling a story of his or her own. Michael “Air” Jordan makes that happen. Michael played an important role in changing how people viewed great basketball and strong, hard-working athletes. Michael’s life explains to the world, how with just a little drive, great achievements can be made. Michael’s life began in Brooklyn, New York, on February 17th, 1963, where his parents James and Delores always stood by his side. His father, known for his unending support, always gave Michael advice on what to do, never letting him down.... [tags: Sports, NBA]
2846 words (8.1 pages)