According to Business Leader Profiles (2002), Michael Jordan was born on “February 17, 1963 in Brooklyn, New York” (p.1). Styczynski stated (2002), “Jordan is one of five children of Deloris and James Jordan” (p.1). When Jordan was just an infant, his family and him moved to Wilmington, North Carolina. “His father worked for General Electric and his mother worked at a bank” (Styczynski p.1). When Michael Jordan was seven, he almost drowned in an incident that happened to kill one of his dearest friends. At such a young age, Jordan was very interested with baseball, and he was also really good at it. One of his greatest youth baseball memories was in his Babe Ruth League Championship Game. Little Jordan “hit the game-winning home run” (Business p.1). Jordan, at a young age, always thought he would become a professional baseball player, but when he finally made it to high school, he started to become fond towards other activities. Jordan went to Laney High School in Wilmington, North Carolina. When he was a sophomore in high school, he had a tough time getting adjusted to a higher level of athletes. Styczynski stated, “ Jordan was cut from the varsity roster his sophomore year”(p.1). Even though he was cut from the varsity team,...
... middle of paper ...
...in anything that he had done. Everyone said Jordan was cocky on the floor, but really, it was his passion coming out. Players around the league looked up to Michael Jordan and said he was a great mentor. All young athletes want to be “like Mike” and who would not because he is a legend.
Michael Jordan proved that he was the greatest player ever in NBA history. The “Flu Game” expired many to fight through pain and adversity to become great and be a leader. Michael Jordan is proven that he is the greatest to ever come through the NBA. Now, he is the owner of the Charlotte Hornets, and he is teaching all the new young athletes in the league to become champions. His young roster if full of young raw talent ready to be formed into young Michael Jordan’s. Michael Jordan is not only one of the greatest basketball players in the world, but one of the greatest leaders too.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Another person that has influenced me is an entrepreneur and retired professional Hall of Fame basketball player Michael Jordan. Michael Jordan is not only a retired professional basketball player that went to the University of North Carolina but he also hosted a numerous of basketball camps to give children the opportunity to live out their dreams. Mr. Jordan stated. “If you 're trying to achieve, there will be roadblocks. I 've had them; everybody has had them. But obstacles don 't have to stop you.... [tags: Basketball, National Basketball Association]
724 words (2.1 pages)
- Basketball is one of the most popular sports in America, and only a few of the NBA stars are considered great. There is only one they call the greatest, with six national championships, and 5 MVPs under his name. Michael Jordan could play basketball so many ways he could make an opponent look bad by just passing the ball. Every fan and every announcer loved to say the name “Michael Jordan” or also known as “M.J.” Jordan was the talk of the country, every kid or fan wanted to have his autograph or basketball card.... [tags: NBA, Chicago Bulls, Professional Basketball]
1060 words (3 pages)
- At every level of basketball there are players that have shined on and off the court, this is true for two exceptional players like Michael Jordan and LeBron James. The debate over these two marvelous athletes and who is the better of the two, has divided sports fans since LeBron earned his first Finals Championship. For many years Michael Jordan has been seen as one of the greatest players to ever play the game of basketball. Michael Jordan was first drafted into the NBA by the Chicago Bulls as the third pick in the first round of the NBA draft of 1984, after finishing his college career at the University of North Carolina.... [tags: Michael Jordan, National Basketball Association]
1147 words (3.3 pages)
- Many people who watch or play basketball always argue who is the best of all time, or which basketball player is better than the other. And the most two basketball players that get compared with each other is Kobe Bryant and Michael Jordan. Both of these two players are exciting to watch when they are on the basketball court. Taking a closer look into both of their careers you can see major similarities but you can also see where both of them have their different paths. Even though they both make the basketball world a better place the real question that needs to be answered is who is better.... [tags: Michael Jordan, National Basketball Association]
1121 words (3.2 pages)
- In 1981, Michael Jordan stepped foot on North Carolina’s campus as a top recruited freshman and was soon to be one of only four freshmen to ever earn a starting spot under Coach Dean Smith. The University of North Carolina was where Michael Jordan’s legacy started, and as of now, it will not end anytime soon. In his playing days, Michael was a second overall draft pick, Nike client, six-time NBA champ, six-time NBA finals MVP, five-time NBA MVP, and a fourteen-time all-star. After his playing days were over, Jordan’s impact on the game and on the fans never died.... [tags: Michael Jordan, National Basketball Association]
1024 words (2.9 pages)
- High School Basketball In the Swales document we looked at in class, a discourse community has a set of common goals (Discourse Community). In high school basketball, the goal is to win the state championship. Also, a discourse community uses a specific jargon (Discourse Community). We see this in the rules and how some players and coaches communicate. Finally, a discourse community has its new members learn from experienced members (Discourse Community). This is evident when we talk about learning the fundamentals from the coaches.... [tags: Basketball, High school, Michael Jordan]
1288 words (3.7 pages)
- A former American professional basketball player and known as the greatest basketball player of all time, Michael Jordan.He was born in Brooklyn; New York and later moved to North Carolina. He was also known with the nickname “Air Jordan” and “His Airness.” MJ, son from James Jordan and Deloris was married to Juanita Vanoy in September 1989. Jordan had two sons,Jeffrey Michael and Marcus James and a daughter, Jasmine Mickael. But Vanoy divorced him in February 2002. Michael Jeffrey Jordan started his career playing at the college basketball league for the University of North Carolina.... [tags: chicago bulls, nba titles]
906 words (2.6 pages)
- With five seconds left, the once psychotic crowd becomes as silent as a lion stalking its prey. The clock starts and all that can be heard is the opposing team running down the court dribbling the ball to shoot the final shot. The clock sends off a high-pitched shout. When the opposing team missed their shot, the crowd let out shrieks of joy and ran down onto the court to celebrate. Basketball was invented in 1891 by a Canadian Doctor named James Naismith and the game has changed dramatically since.... [tags: Basketball, National Basketball Association]
1059 words (3 pages)
- December 21, 1891- The birth of basketball. It has been changed from simply shooting a soccer ball into a peach basket to dunking a seven pound, leather ball into an iron rim. In the early years of the game, basketball was not as popular as other sports. In the 1985 NBA draft all this would change with the emergence of a 6'6" basketball phenomenon from Wilmington, North Carolina. Although going third in the draft, he recreated the game and is known as the best player to ever touch a basketball; he is Michael Jordan.... [tags: Basketball Michael Jordan]
1010 words (2.9 pages)
- Basketball is and always will be my love. The passion I have for this sport is unimaginable. This is the sport that cheers me up when I am distressed or upset. Playing the sport has provided me with my getaway from the worries of life that people need to stay sane throughout the struggles in their journey to success. Every time I pick up a basketball, I instantly enter a whole new world. All the worries, no matter how serious, would just disappear. It would be the thing I would always love to do no matter what the situation, I would go play basketball.... [tags: Basketball, College basketball, 2007 singles]
714 words (2 pages)