Unlike Present Day, where most scientific groups and people use the standard unit of measurement; the metric system, there used to be a time when a variety of units of measurement were frequently used throughout the world, some units were also measured using the human body. For example length could be measured in numerous ways such as feet, hands, cubits, palms, rods, furlongs and many more. This creation of multiple varying units created an absence in common measurement standards, leading to a lot of misunderstanding and a significant drop of efficiency in the trade between countries. This havoc remained persistent until the eighteenth century when those countries had learnt that “United We Stand; Divided We Fall”-Aesop.
Towards the end of the 18th century the French government set out to amend and alleviate this problem and replace the chaotic collection of units then in use. The goal of this effort was to produce a universal system of measurement that did not rely on a collection of distinct standards, and to use the decimal system rather than fractions. In 1790, the French general assembly gathered with the academy of science to devise such a system; the system devised is known as the metric system By 1960, the metric system was officially named Système International d'Unités (SI) and currently is used in almost every country in the world except the United States of America.
The main reason the metric system is known for its simplicity is because there is only unit of measurement or a base unit for each type of measured quantity measured; length mass, weight, etc… There are a few base units in the metric system but the most common ones which are used are the meter, gram and liter. As an example if ...
... middle of paper ...
...20 000 Properties, Homes, Houses, Real Estate for Sale. Web. 07 Oct. 2011.
Kenney, Ian. "The Disadvantages of the Metric System of Measurement | EHow.com." EHow | How to Videos, Articles & More - Trusted Advice for the Curious Life | EHow.com. Web. 07 Oct. 2011.
"Metric 4 US - Why Metric Is the Better System." Metric 4 US - Metric Is the Better System for America! Web. 07 Oct. 2011.
Think Metric. "Use Metric Now — What Is the next Step?" Think Metric! Web. 07 Oct. 2011.
Wikipedia. Road Signs. Photograph. China. Wikipedia. Web. 07 Oct. 2011.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- The metric system is the most common system of measurement and nearly every country uses it but one, America. People who needed an easier way to measure things invented this system of measurement long ago. While the metric system was spreading to every country, Britain was using the customary units of measurement to measure things. As the British started colonizing America, the customary system moved with them. Finally, when Britain decided to convert to metric, the newly democratic America established its system of measurement as customary while almost every other country measured in metric.... [tags: measurement, system, customary]
622 words (1.8 pages)
- The Metric System Unlike Present Day, where most scientific groups and people use the standard unit of measurement; the metric system, there used to be a time when a variety of units of measurement were frequently used throughout the world, some units were also measured using the human body. For example length could be measured in numerous ways such as feet, hands, cubits, palms, rods, furlongs and many more. This creation of multiple varying units created an absence in common measurement standards, leading to a lot of misunderstanding and a significant drop of efficiency in the trade between countries.... [tags: History, Trading, Understanding]
1286 words (3.7 pages)
- America is on the cutting edge of almost everything, except for basic units of measurement. Every nation on earth has adopted the International System of Units, or metric system, as their official system of weights and measures, with the exception of Myanmar, Liberia, and the United States of America (“CIA World Fact Book,” n.d.). Throughout history, the metric system has proven itself as a reliable, and simple to use, decimal based system of measurement. In comparison, the United States customary system is overly complicated and requires extensive conversions to apply.... [tags: Argumentative Essay]
1567 words (4.5 pages)
- Introduction to metric conversion formulas: In mathematics, a metric conversion formula is one of the important topics. It is used for calculating purpose of an international decimalized system of measurement. In all over world, metric conversion formulas are the most common system for calculating different types of units. For personal, commercial and scientific purposes, this can be used widely. From the base units of conversions can be derived from larger and smaller units which may be standard set of prefixes in powers of ten.... [tags: Math]
1133 words (3.2 pages)
- IS STRASSMANN’S ‘KNOWLEDGE MANAGEMENT’ AN IMPORTANT METRIC By: Masoud. Noordeh Abstract In today’s dynamic business environment, Knowledge management systems facilitate organizational learning and knowledge creation. They are designed to provide rapid feedback to knowledge workers and significantly improve business performance. This paper examines the concept of knowledge management metric from the view point of Paul Strassmann. Keywords: Knowledge, Performance Management Metric, Knowledge Management.... [tags: Knowledge management, Knowledge, Management]
700 words (2 pages)
- With a total cost of over $1 trillion, the United States Department of Defense (DoD) commits a significant amount of funds to its weapon systems acquisition programs (GAO 2012a). The sheer size (96 major programs in Fiscal Year 2012) and cost of weapon systems acquisition contributes to scrutiny of these programs within and outside of the government. In essence, government reports and academic studies are determining the effectiveness of weapon systems within three areas: cost, schedule, and performance.... [tags: Regulations, Costs, Defense]
694 words (2 pages)
- Applicant Tracking System (ATS) Initial / Project Charter Copyright © 2001, 2002 Ford Motor Company (U.S. and international notice, and original material was added in each indicated year.) Contents Page EXECUTIVE SUMMARY 3 PROJECT SCOPE 6 Project Goal and Objectives 6 Exclusions 7 Assumptions 7 Deliverable Scope 7 Project Deliverables 7 Inputs 7 Organisational Scope and Dependencies 8 Temporal Scope (Timing) 9 Project Control Milestones 9 MS Project Plan 9 Logical Scope 9 Financial Scope 10 Spending 10 Operating Expenses 10 Financial Benefits 10 Additional Benefits 10 Approach to Measure Project Results 10 RISK ANALYSIS 11 Critical Risk Factors 11 Other Risks 12 Related P... [tags: Human Resource Management ]
4327 words (12.4 pages)
- ... Hare’s Psychopath Checklist-Revised (PCL-R) has provided clinicians and researchers with a common metric system for the assessment of psychopathy (Hare et al., 2000, p. 623). The PCL-R is a 20-item construct rating scale for use in clinical, research, and forensic settings. It entails the use of a semi structured interview, collateral and file information, and specific scoring criteria to assess inferred behaviors and personality traits that relate to the widely understood, traditional conceptions of psychopathy (Hare et al., 2006, p.... [tags: patholgical lying, deviant, bundy, ]
1039 words (3 pages)
- Assessment 2: Part A: A. THE VISION OF YOUR SCHOOL OR DISTRICT IS ANALYZED COMPLETELY AND ACCURATELY. BCPS Vision Statement: “Baltimore County Public Schools will be among the highest performing school systems in the nation as a result of creating, sustaining, and investing in a culture of deliberate excellence for every student, every school, and every community.” 1. In addition to the above, the BCPS website states, “To develop its five-year strategic plan, Baltimore County Public Schools held a series of staff and community meetings to gain input into the plan 's development, appointed a staff person to oversee the plan 's development and production, and created a mechanism for the commu... [tags: High school, Secondary school, Public school]
2787 words (8 pages)
- INTRODUCTION Addition operation is the most important function of digital system. Adder is only not used for the arithmetic operation but also necessary to all modern computers. Adders occupies critical path in key areas of microprocessor, fast adders are prime requirement for the design of fast processing system. Many fast adders are available but the design of high speed with low power and less area adders are still challenging. In modern computers, multiple ALU’S with wide adders and multiple execution core units on the same chip creates thermal hotspots and large temperature gradients.... [tags: gate, digital system, computers]
1317 words (3.8 pages)