Nathan and Daniel have been friends for as long as they can remember. The started school on the same day when they were five years old and have been in the same classes ever since. This Friday afternoon they graduate from high school and this weekend, Memorial Day weekend, they both turn 18 years old; Nathan’s birthday is Saturday and Daniel’s on Sunday. This fall they both head off to college and to play baseball; after all those hours playing in the desert sun, they both earned a scholarship to play baseball with the Sun Devils of Arizona State University.
The young men are picture perfect athletes, they could have just competed in the Ancient Greek Olympic games. The sun had bronzed their skin everywhere possible and their bodies were Greek temples to good eating and living. Nathan stands 6’ 4 with short blond hair and plays shortstop with his natural instincts and strong throwing arm. When he swings at the plate, his strong arms and legs moved with a graceful power that inspired his high school put together a calendar of the team to help raise money for new uniforms. Daniel is a 6’ 1” left handed pitcher with a body cut from Italian marble. He smooth skin glistens with sweat and his muscles flex with every pitch; his powerful legs and gluts are on the mind of all the girls in the stands, and even some of the mothers long after the game is over.
Samantha Summers is Nathan’s mother and Wendy Levin is Daniel’s mother; they have been friends for almost as long as their sons have. Both Samantha and Wendy became young single mothers after both their boyfriends were not ready for fatherhood. Both took a great interest in their sons lives; taking part in all the school activities, getting to know all th...
... middle of paper ...
...n our way now, get everyone and everything ready”, she tells Nathan she just confirmed the reservation at the restaurant and she will have time to swing over to her house and change into some other clothes.
They pull up to the house and the lights are off, Wendy opens the door, steps into the house and takes a quick step to the side -- SURPRISE! Everyone screams as the lights come on and the sound of people singing Happy Birthday falls onto Nathan like a crashing wave. Pictures are being taken by people left and right as Samantha comes running over to her son and gives him a big hug. “Happy Birthday young man!” “How does it feel to be an adult?” as the questions fly from his mother’s mouth, Samantha goes to give her friend Wendy and hug and kiss. “Did Wendy take good care of you today?” “Yeah, she took great care of me today mom” Nathan says with a big smile.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- In the early to mid-1800’s, the week end was just that. Week end. Week end was Saturday night, not Sunday. Sunday was considered the first day of the week, not the week end, week-end or weekend. It was not for work or fun, it was for worship, a day of rest. Now it’s week days and weekend. We call the first day of the week Monday, but it is in fact, Sunday. There was no such thing as the weekend as we know it until the 1870’s. Workers put in up to 16 hours a day, 7 days a week. According to A Weekend History Lesson by Krissy Clark, labor organizers worked with the government to get shorter hours.... [tags: labor concessions, benefits, rest days]
944 words (2.7 pages)
- A day at the beach is relaxing, the amusement park fun, but neither is more satisfying than a day spent working in my backyard. Saturday morning begins on my back porch where I slip on my old tennis shoes, stained green from years of cutting grass in them. Three stone steps lead down to the backyard, where warm sunshine filters through the tall pine trees surrounding it, providing light and shade. The sun in my backyard is as warm as the sun at any beach, but without the crowds to wade through and the seagulls to scare away from my ham sandwich, I am able to enjoy it without distraction.... [tags: essays research papers]
509 words (1.5 pages)
- Saturday Night and Sunday Morning is a novel following the rebellious life of twenty-two year old Arthur Seaton. Arthur spends his weekdays working at a bicycle factory and relaxes on weekends with plenty of drinks while in the company of various lady friends. The novel was written by Alan Sillitoe who came to be known as one of the “angry young men.” This group of writers was a dominant literary force during the 1950s and was immensely popular due to their accurate portrayal of postwar Britain and the working class.... [tags: novel and film review]
1024 words (2.9 pages)
- Public transportation is an essential part of a city. A good public transit can encourage a city’s economic activities and can provide its citizen a convenient life. Does our Phoenix public transit work well. Does it provide sufficient service to the citizen. From my experience, the answer is no. This November I tried to attend the popular State Fair in Phoenix. However, I found that there were not any buses or metros could take me to the fair directly. It means I need 2 hours or more spend on the public transits.... [tags: Public transport, Bus, Bus stop]
753 words (2.2 pages)
- Technology Diet Day (First part) When I first heard that instead of an exam for Journalism 101 I would be given a final assignment called “The Technology Diet” I knew that it wouldn’t be so hard for me. I would say that I rarely use my phone as much as the professors think I do, or would be included in the 53 percent of 18- to 29-year-olds that go online just to have fun as the Pew Research Center’s Internet and American Life Project found. I have to be honest the day I was planning to fast from technology was Thanksgiving Day.... [tags: Mass media, Journalism, Time, News media]
1078 words (3.1 pages)
- Communication is the most important part of any business, without it workers wouldn’t know when to show up, how much items are listed for, and there would be no innovation. Communication is the exchange and flow of information and ideas from one person to another. With communication skills becoming one of the most important “ingredient” for a business “cake” mangers should understand how to manage communication. Being a manager is it is important to know a few things when communicating, it is important to know, your audience, the purpose, and to be clear and concise.... [tags: Management, ManaGeR, Communication]
963 words (2.8 pages)
- to anxiety, stress, and depression. In some cases is due to mental trauma, in which case is best to seek professional help. Bianca is a talented musician with a music degree. She had been looking for a job but it was hard to find something fitting in the town she lives in. Tanner, her husband, was working as a roofer making good money working hard. He gets home tired after a day of work. He never feels like doing much. Bianca misses the days when they went on dates but she understood their situation is different now.... [tags: Full-time, Part-time, Problem]
2242 words (6.4 pages)
- Moving weekend. These two words have defined my life several times since my pilgrimage to Colorado. My first few years here were chaotic, unknown, and completely spontaneous. For someone who likes control, a concrete plan at least two weeks in advance, and a generous helping of consistent routine, my first days, weeks, years, where I was but a nomadic, semi-"homeless" wanderer were met with the most challenging and illuminating moments I have yet encountered. As my husband and I prepared for the next chapter in our short story of a marriage, we were welcomed by several emotions.... [tags: Suffering, Pain, Weekend, Workweek]
1375 words (3.9 pages)
- Kiss land by The Weeknd Abel Tesfaye known as The Weeknd released a new album called Kiss land. The album contains ten tracks that last over an hour and a half. Tesfaye is known for the dark and moody tracks produced in his last three mix tapes (Echoes of Silence, Thursday, and House of Balloons), and later repackaged from Republic Records as The Trilogy. His rhythmic voice is just stunning. Though most of his songs on this album are repetitive, the different beats mix it up. Tesfaye’s new album is honestly worth buying.... [tags: album, voice, songs, beats, buying, story]
636 words (1.8 pages)
- Saturday Saturday. The first day of the weekend, the first day of freedom at the end of every week at school. Saturday was always a day of great anticipation for me during my younger years. It signified not only the beginning of a weekend away from the rigours of Primary school and learning my times tables, but also my first real social experiences. Saturday was ‘Club Day’. At around the age of 8 or 9, my Mum decided that I needed to get out into the real world and get a taste of ‘Saturday life’, and all it had to offer.... [tags: essays papers]
1425 words (4.1 pages)