Nearly 700 students are enrolled in the Informatics degree program at IUPUI with 540 at the undergraduate level and 157 at the graduate level. Of the nearly 700 students, over half (365) are enrolled in the Media Arts and Science program, with 340 at the undergraduate level and 25 at the graduate level. Almost 70% of the students enrolled in the Media Arts and Science Program are full time students, with 35% of those students in the Media Arts and Science Program at 25 years of age or older. Of the 340 undergraduate students in the Media Arts and Science program at IUPUI, 93 are part time students, 71 are a minority race and 113 are 25 years of age or older.
To summarize, the undergraduate student population at IUPUI is comprised of a heterogeneous group of learners: commuting students, older adult students, online students, on-campus students, and first-generation college students. These students come from a range of diverse backgrounds. Therefore, the average IUPUI student experience can vary greatly when compared to campus life at a traditional, four-year residency college or university.
The course in which the research was conducted is N100, and it is an introductory course in the Media Arts and Science program under the Indiana University School of Informatics at IUPUI. It is a large lecture course that is held in...
... middle of paper ...
...ut it is suggested so that students are able to put names to faces during live lecture. The social network is divided into two types of forums: the course forum and the casual forum. In the course forum, the students discuss the lectures and the reading material. In the casual forum, the students connect to classmates just as in Facebook. The course is split into three sections. In each section of the course, you are required to start at least 1 new forum thread on a reading or lecture issue, and respond to another person’s forum thread on a reading or lecture issue. You can also fully participate in the casual forum to get to know your classmates and discover similar interests and share ideas, but you are only going to be evaluated on the postings in the course forum. Course forum threads, posted in each section of the course, are cumulatively worth 100 points.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- My best and worst trait is insatiable curiosity, especially when it comes to electronic gadgets and PCs. I was the kid that rips open a brand new remote car to pull every component apart rather than playing with it. Over the years, I moved on to gutting PCs’ components, breaking some, and learning along the way. Later, I grew and graduated to dissecting and creating my own website and yet, my curiosity is still acute as ever. Knowledge of the digital world is infinite and I always have a strong urge to learn more about it.... [tags: College Application Essay]
715 words (2 pages)
- A challenge that all seniors face at the end of their high school career is the decision that will shape the rest of their future. Will it be Harvard, Ivy Tech, or a job at the nearest fast food joint. Of course, there is nothing wrong with not going to college, but for the people of society who plan to marry and have at least three children, it is almost essential. After making this decision, the seniors who choose to attend college must then decide which one. Campus size, housing, nearby activities, and available degrees and study programs are all important traits to consider when searching for the perfect college.... [tags: College, University, Education, Indiana]
1136 words (3.2 pages)
- If the homicide rates don't continue to decline, the beautiful city of Indianapolis will not just be known for sports and amenities but criminal homicides as well. However, this has changed tremendously over the past four years. The Department of Public Safety Crime Analysis section (DPS CAS) released the criminal homicide statistic rates for the years of 2007-2010. These statistical rates pack a hard punch, for the criminal homicides which took place in 2007 and 2008 which, broke even both years resulting in 114 homicides for those two years.... [tags: Crime, Indianapolis]
1186 words (3.4 pages)
- PURPOSE BACKGROUND Universiti Teknologi MARA Universiti Teknologi MARA or UiTM, established in 1956. UITM can be considered as the largest university in the Malaysia with a main campus, three cable campuses, 12 branch campuses, six city campuses, 25 affiliated campuses and a smart campus for the future. Presently, the Shah Alam campus is host to 45% of the total 100,000 students. Information system management(ISM) is the one of the course that offered by Universiti Teknologi MARA.ISM is the study of people, technology, organizations and the relationships among them.... [tags: university evaluation and comparison]
1118 words (3.2 pages)
- Engineering is not the only major that Purdue offers, however, engineering is so prestigious at Purdue what anytime someone is asked where they go to school and the person says, Purdue, they are always asked if they are an engineer. Being an engineer automatically sets you higher than people with other degrees solely based on the fact that engineer is indeed so nationally prestigious at Purdue. This effect can be seen even within the students, engineering students are less likely to hang out with liberal arts students because to the engineering students those who are in liberal arts are inferior to them.... [tags: Education, College, High school, Higher education]
2078 words (5.9 pages)
- Verenice Clopton Response Paper: International Migration Purdue North West University International migration for many people and it does not matter which country or city in which they reside they have similar reasons. Such as a better way of life for themselves and their family, their current living conditions, better employment opportunities and even something as simple as having food to fed their families. As our text and history shows the war is one of the main components which lead to people leaving their country’s or homes like the Out of Ireland film as to how and why the Devereux family’s land and home were taking way when the English invaded their territory and conq... [tags: Human migration, United States]
1009 words (2.9 pages)
- ... Pune, after undergraduate degree in Computer Engineering, I realized that my next step is Masters in Computer Science. This realization started when my professor of Principles of Programming Language introduced us to Linux Operating System. Over the last three years, my penchant for research has gradually burgeoned especially, in the fields of Systems. I started experimenting with open source tools which improved my programming and data structure skills a lot. Courses like "Operating Systems", "Advanced Unix Programming" and "Data Structure and Algorithms" strengthened my foundation of Computer Science.... [tags: science, development, acdemic]
853 words (2.4 pages)
- In the state of Oregon, the only academic health center, located in Portland, is presumed by most that this hospital is capable of handling all complex medical issues. The Oregon Health & Science University (OHSU) is often a point of referral by all large health centers throughout the rest of the state, and even by neighboring states, dependent upon the medical condition. While OHSU is training the next generation of clinicians and researchers, and are considered to be one of the top twenty-five biomedical research institutions in the country, the innovativeness may not be up to par (OHSU, 2016a).... [tags: Strategic planning, Strategy, Mission statement]
1487 words (4.2 pages)
- I have always enjoyed interacting with and helping people. When I was an undergraduate student, during my internship in the library, I started solving users’ scientific problems, and their satisfaction of my performance fostered a growing interest in MLIS. As I gained more knowledge of the field, my curiosity about the cultures, communities and technology on Medical Library and Information Science grew faster. I dislike stationary positions because I believe it is always the beginning of the end.... [tags: Health care, Academic degree, Medicine, Health]
999 words (2.9 pages)
- I was born on December 12, 1990, in Yemen, Taiz Province. After fulfilled twelve-year of education, I successfully graduated with the highest score in my school and got a scholarship to Algeria. After three years of colorful and hard undergraduate studies, I graduated with bachelor’s degree in communication engineering with honors degree. That’s made me very proud and ambitious to continue my postgraduate studies. So I went ahead and I accomplished successfully my master’s degree in the field of Telecommunication and Networks engineering.... [tags: Higher education, Academic degree, Doctorate]
748 words (2.1 pages)