For all that, there are definitely several noteworthy themes from Media & Environment: Conflict Politics, and the News that are worth reflecting upon. I will weigh in on media’s playing field and turn our attention toward issues of ownership while using the example of players in an arena. By studying these elements of politics in the media, we can begin to find solutions to environmental decline.
First off, the media is a hotly contested subject operating within a ‘highly conflictual arena’ (pg.4). An insight I gained from the book is that news media has great control in that it is instrumental in shaping the publics’ understandings and meanings on environmental issues. Without media exposure, the general population would be left in the dark about the c...
... middle of paper ...
...ain recognition from alternative media and reputable online sources to promote environmental autonomy and democracy in the media.
By examining the authors of the media and their motives behind their claims, we begin to come closer to tackling the problem of environmental degradation. In this exceptionally political subject, I learned that the media controls public opinions so it is crucial to look into what is fact or fiction. Ultimately, after finishing this book I was left to consider my engagement with the environment, asking questions like to what extent I am an advocate for the environment? What media sources am I consuming and are they inherently truthful? And how can I vivify my environmental citizenship? From reading this book, I can now see how news media stimulates environmental opinions and may even foster greater interest in environmental engagement.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Lester B. Pearson has made many accomplishments throughout his life. He was the representative from Canada in the United Nations. He was the prime minister of Canada through 1963-1968. During his time of being Prime Minister, and even before, he has impacted Canada quite strongly. He is a very significant man because of the way he established Canadian Identity culturally, socially and through global relationships. He was the man who introduced ways to change Canada in order to improve lives. Firstly, he constructing the base of canadian culture.... [tags: canadian culture, lester pearson]
878 words (2.5 pages)
- I chose to watch the November 5th nightly news on NBC with Lester Holt.. I do not consider myself an informed citizen due to the low amount of news that I watch. Watching this news cast helped me to better understand what is going on within the world right now around me. During the video he speaks about a plane crash, former president Bush weighing in on his son 's presidency, Ben Carson claims, a cop 's suicide, a weight loss pill, and a caring cop. President Obama believes that a bomb had brought down a private russian jet flight.... [tags: George W. Bush, George H. W. Bush]
1015 words (2.9 pages)
- Before beginning to speak about the complex interactions between the media and politics, we must understand what politics and the media are. Media is the sum total of all the different forms of mass communication such as television, radio, newspapers and the internet (Dictionary.com, 2016). Politics is the activity through which people make, maintain and amend the general regulations under which they exist. Politics has been viewed as the art of government or as ‘what concerns the state’; as the conduct and management of public affairs; as the result of conflict through debate and compromise; and as the production, distribution and utilization of resources in the course of social being (Dict... [tags: Newspaper, Mass media, Media influence, News media]
1856 words (5.3 pages)
- The Religion of Politics The year is 2015 and the upcoming presidential election is extremely prominent in today’s society. Every night on the news, newscasters talk more and more about the candidates and their political opinions on major issues. A few of the most common are refugees, terrorism, and abortion which all have aspects dealing with religion. Presidential candidate, Donald Trump, has even gone as far as saying that all Muslims should be required to have special identification. Here in America we have separation of church and state, yet we are electing our next president on the basis of his opinion on religion.... [tags: Political party, Sociology, Politics, Religion]
1125 words (3.2 pages)
- Gap Analysis: Lester Electronics In the Lester Electronics Scenario, there are several things going on at once. Shang-Wa had already suggested a partnership to Lester Electronics, but this is now becoming more urgent due to a hostile takeover bid by TEC. In fear of losing his company, John Lin, the CEO and founder of Shang-Wa, approaches Bernard Lester, CEO of Lester Electronics with a serious proposal to form and partnership and expand the business in to a neighboring Asian country. Lester Electronics however, has to decide whether a partnership is the best way to go, or if acquiring Shang-Wa outright would be more beneficial.... [tags: Lester Electronics Gap Analysis Case Study]
1262 words (3.6 pages)
- News and Politics In the 1920's The five years (1920-1925) chosen are exciting. There were presidents elected, one dying in office, baseball was still the national pastime, a major political scandal, and there were new inventions everywhere. Although all of the events can be listed in chronological order and described as news, the 1920’s had many exciting firsts. In telling about them, it seems to be better not to put them in any order.... [tags: essays research papers]
747 words (2.1 pages)
- The July 9, 2002 release of the World Wildlife Fund’s third “Living Planet” report - which asserts that the human race is currently consuming resources at a rate 20% percent greater than the Earth’s ability to regenerate - coincided unsurprisingly with the simultaneous release of two counter-dispatches by the Cato Institute. In conjunction with an additional counter-argument published in the Institute’s August 26 edition of “Policy Analysis,” these two dispatches serve as a fairly accurate example of Conservative/Libertarian criticisms of the environmentalist movement or at least as examples prominent enough to merit scrutiny.... [tags: Environmental Climate Change]
1323 words (3.8 pages)
- The Shipping News Just as Newfoundlanders have to confront the sea, survive it, so people have to face life’s traumas and find the will to go on. To what extent is Proulx saying people must ‘weather the storms’ of life and reconcile the past with the future. To face life’s storms is not to reconcile the past with the future, meaning to be happy with it, but to confront the past, conquer it, and then accept it. Acceptance in this instance, meaning to acknowledge the past, and acknowledge that it cannot be changed.... [tags: Shipping News Essays]
1106 words (3.2 pages)
- INTRO/PROBLEMS The window to the world can be covered by a newspaper,” this quote by Polish writer Stanislaw Lec sums up the problem with the news media. It is the job of the news media to provide the public with news events happening around the world. Without these news reports, people would be oblivious to what is going on around them. Our lives rest in the media's hands, and they are fully aware of this. The news is a very competitive business, and because of this what gets reported is not necessarily what the story is.... [tags: Television Newspaper Media News]
4184 words (12 pages)
- The News Watching the news on television has always been a wearisome chore for me. There is constant competition for my attention between the presentation of the news and the actual facts reported. At times, I question the accuracy of the news presented. I don't believe the reporters purposely broadcast stories which are untrue - but I believe some stories are either reported before getting all the information, which could result in a false story, or are slanted towards a certain major corporation or political candidate, and I mistrust the motive of the network.... [tags: Personal Narrative News Television Media Papers]
2430 words (6.9 pages)