The late singer Michael Jackson, also known as the King of Pop, was an icon beyond imaginable expectations and vision. He catapulted into fame as a child music star with his brothers before becoming the most famous Jackson sibling to move on to have a solo career. Michael Jackson is undisputedly one of the most successful entertainers in all of music history. Not only did he single-handedly transform the face of pop music, he also- made a huge impact in the world of dance with signature moves like the Moon Walk. Jackson, a man of many talents, had thirteen number one singles, won seventeen Grammy Awards, and sold over one billion albums across the globe since he released his first solo album in 1972. When he released Thriller, the best-selling album in history, on November 30, 1982 (Stutz), the album went on to become one of the most successful records in the world due to its compilation of songs that won several Grammy awards and dominated the music charts, illustrious lyricism, usefulness of multiple genres in songs, and also created a passage of entrance for musicians of color in the media.
When Thriller was initially released, it spent “2 1/2 years on the Billboard album chart with 37 weeks at No. 1… It was also the first album in history to spend its first 80 weeks in the album chart 's top 10, which has only been replicated once since” (Stutz). Almost a year after Thriller was released, the album later went on to win seven Grammy Awards, some of which include Album of the Year, Best Male Pop Vocal Performance, and Record of the Year for “Beat It” (Durchholz). In December 2015, “Michael Jackson 's Thriller became the first album ever to be certified 30 times multi-platin...
... middle of paper ...
...e network initially declined to broadcast the music video, it was later accepted after Weisner threatened to cut off any and all relationships CBS Records had with the network. "Billie Jean" “immediately went into heavy rotation with eight plays per day, catapulting Jackson and MTV to another level of success. And Jackson 's triumph broke down the barrier for Prince, Billy Ocean and Eddy Grant” (Mitchell).
For any music lover who truly wants to experience a hit, look no further than Michael Jackson’s Thriller. The timeless album is a beautiful compilation of songs that won several Grammy awards and dominated the music charts, illustrated the power of thoughtful lyrics, versatility in multiple genres, and changed the face of music. In today’s world of overplayed pop singles dominating the airwaves, Michael Jackson’s Thriller was, and remains, a breath of fresh air.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Michael Jackson was given the title, the “King of Pop”, for very good reason; he captured audiences with his catchy lyrics, amazing dance moves, and dazzling outfits. His legacy has lived beyond the grave, as his music is played on the radio, his concert movie, This Is It, was released after his death, and people are still moonwalking and doing the Thriller dance. Michael inspired, and was adored by many, but his music did much more than just entertain. He sang about racial and social injustices and broke down the musical barriers of his time.... [tags: Michael Jackson, The Jackson 5, Janet Jackson]
1564 words (4.5 pages)
- Michael Jackson was born on August 29, 1958, and raised in Gary, Indiana by Katherine Jackson and Joe Jackson. Michael Jackson’s parents had a total of nine children and he was the seventh to be born. His singing career initiated at the young age of 5 and was the lead singer of the Jackson 5. The Jackson 5 consisted of the five brothers: Jackie, Jermaine, Tito, Marlon and lead singer Michael. They would play at local clubs and bars, however, fortunately, as their talent thrive, their audience expanded.... [tags: Michael Jackson, The Jackson 5, La Toya Jackson]
1060 words (3 pages)
- Mario Hernandez October 23, 2017 MUS-110 04 Matvey Lapin Free Essay: The King of Pop “The King of Pop”, otherwise known as Michael Jackson, was a living legend for his music. Some of his most famous songs include Thriller, Billie Jean, and Bad. Michael Jackson started very young with his musical career, and eventually become the name we all know him by, “The King of Pop” Michael Jackson was born on August 29, 1958, in Gary, Indiana. He was the eighth child of ten children. The Jacksons were a big family with three girls and six boys, including Michael.... [tags: Michael Jackson, The Jackson 5, Billie Jean]
1041 words (3 pages)
- Michael Jackson was born in Gary, Indiana on August 29, 1958. He was the son of Katherine and Joseph Jackson. Michael had eight siblings. They all had their share in the music industry. His father was a crane operator but had a passion for music. The children heard music all the time. Joseph put together a musical group called The Jackson 5. Katherine Jackson noticed that Michael had an incredible talent in music. Michael loved dancing and singing. Michael became the lead vocalist at the age of five.... [tags: Michael Jackson, The Jackson 5, Randy Jackson]
1077 words (3.1 pages)
- An icon for decades, legend for an eternity, Michael Jackson 's impact on the world continues to thrive as a silhouette amongst pop culture. His music has influenced many people to "Xscape" from the deceptions of all the "Dirty Diana[s]." Yet, his talent has encouraged people to "Scream" through all the "Thriller[s]" they receive as his stardom illuminates the stage as the "Smooth Criminal" of performances. His songs vary from selections that you can "Jam" to, those that promote tough love and adornment, while some are advocates for equality.... [tags: Michael Jackson, The Jackson 5, Diana Ross]
1603 words (4.6 pages)
- Willis Wise Mr. Farris Rhetoric 1 November 21, 2017 Michael Jackson Michael Jackson "The King of Pop". Who was Michael Jackson. What did he do. Was he a bad person. Was he really as twisted as people said he was. These questions are often asked when people think of Michael Jackson. Today we are going to answer these questions. Michael was born on August 29, 1958. He was a best-selling American singer, songwriter, and dancer. As a child, Jackson became the lead singer of his family's popular Motown group, the Jackson 5.... [tags: Michael Jackson, The Jackson 5]
839 words (2.4 pages)
- Michael Jackson 's obituary, written in 2009 in The New York Times by Brooks Barnes, explains how Mr. Jackson has touched the hearts of many listeners with his catchy rhythms and stories portrayed throughout his songs however, it does not get in depth enough about the pure ambition and willpower that Mr. Jackson has had since he was a child that made him The King of Pop. Some examples of Mr.Jackson’s devotion is his patented shoes he invented know as “Magic Shoes” that help perform certain dance routines.... [tags: Michael Jackson, The Jackson 5, Billie Jean]
709 words (2 pages)
- Michael Joseph Jackson, also known as the "King of Pop" was born August 29th, 1958. He was an entertainer, musician and a dancer. One of the most influential entertainers of all times. Michael was an icon of pop culture for his own style of fashion and dance moves. He became a part of the music industry at the young age of 7, Michael made his debut alongside his brothers in the band the Jackson 5. This was the start of his career, which eventually led to a solo career starting in 1971. Beginning his career at such a young age, Jackson never had the chance to live a normal childhood.... [tags: Michael Jackson, ]
1225 words (3.5 pages)
- Born to Joseph and Katherine Jackson, MIchael was born on August 29, 1958 in Gary, Indiana. He was the youngest sibling out of 5 but that did not stop his talent from shining through. In the early 1960’s, Michael’s father put together a music group using his sons, which later became known as the Jackson 5 (“Michael Jackson Biography”). Even from an early age, Michael was able to touch the lives of many people. At a young age, Michael became the lead singer of the Jackson 5 because of his voice range and depth.... [tags: Michael Jackson, The Jackson 5, Katherine Jackson]
778 words (2.2 pages)
- Most people have heard of Michael Jackson in their lifetime, his songs have been played in countless of movies, “Thriller” is played every October, but people might not know how he reached his fame. They might also not know what started his downfall. It all started out great, but a few rumors can ruin anyone’s reputation; Michael Jackson was a great example of this. Michael Jackson was known as The King of Pop, and one of the greatest singers and performers of all time, but a few mistakes made him go down as one of the most controversial modern tragic heroes.... [tags: Michael Jackson, The Jackson 5]
1011 words (2.9 pages)