A tensile test is performed on a sample of 1045 normalized construction-grade steel using an Intron load frame. A graph of the engineering stress versus strain of the 1045 steel specimen is constructed from the data collected in the tensile test. Mechanical properties such as the ultimate strength, the fracture strength, and the Young’s modulus of the sample are obtained by further analyzing the stress versus strain graph. These experimental values are compared to the expected mechanical properties of the tested material provided by a reference. The percent difference between the expected and experimental values of the ultimate strength is 13.5% and that of the modulus of elasticity is 9.42 %.
In many engineering applications, it is important that the mechanical properties of materials are understood as these characteristics are the basis for material selection and design. The tension test is one of the most popular experiments performed to determine the different mechanical characteristics of materials. The properties identified through the tension test are commonly used in the design of various components . In this experiment, a tension test is performed to a 1045 steel specimen and a set of data is recorded and analyzed. A graph of the engineering stress versus strain is constructed. The modulus of elasticity, E, the tensile strength, and the fracture strength of the 1045 steel specimen are also determined and are compared to the theoretical values.
The tensile test is one method of measuring the behavior of a material undergoing a static or slowly applied axial force. Intron load frames with movable crossheads are usually used to test the tensile properties of metal samples...
... middle of paper ...
...ted value with a 9.42 % difference between the two.
Materials and equipment used to perform this experiment were provided by the Mechanical Testing Instructional Laboratory (MTIL) at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. This lab report utilized experimental data obtained in a tension test performed on September 17, 2013 at the MTIL. All the discussion and analysis were conducted based on the data file and the video that are available on the MTIL server.
D.R. Askeland and W.J. Wright, Essentials of Materials Science and Engineering, 3 rd ed., Cengage Learning (2014).
J.S. Popovics, L.J. Struble and P. Mondal, Behavior of Materials Laboratory Notes, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Spring 2015.
AISI 1045 Medium Carbon Steel. (n.d.). Retrieved February 1, 2015, from http://www.azom.com/article.aspx?ArticleID=6130.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Introduction This analysis focuses on the material selection of Fiberglass and its application for standard commercial step ladders. Step ladders are an integral tool in both construction and the workplace. They are additionally dangerous to use. Having come from a family that was involved in commercial construction, I have firsthand experience with very large step ladders. Still, one may consider such research into ladders as mundane and near pointless. Ladders cause over 164,000 trips to the emergency room and 300 deaths per year in the United States alone.... [tags: material selection fro product fabrication]
1584 words (4.5 pages)
- PROBLEM STATEMENT: The design is to engineer a drive system to operate two extrusion rolls in opposite directions to compress the caramel. The drive system consists of a flexible drive system that operates a spur gear drive, which in turn operates the extrusion rolls at equal and opposite speeds. The power source to this design is a five horse power normal torque AC electric motor, operating at 1160 rpm. The system must be designed to run 24 hours per day, 3 days per week. There will be 4 shafts is the drive system.... [tags: essays research papers]
1331 words (3.8 pages)
- I am applying for a Masters in Mechanical Engineering with a concentration in Solid Mechanics to expand on my study of and experience with materials. I have thoroughly enjoyed studying Materials Science and Engineering as an undergraduate at UCLA. I now look forward to moving into graduate study in a field of engineering with a related, but different perspective. Materials Science and Engineering has allowed me to explore both materials and other fields within engineering, contributing to my strong interest in combining my study of Materials Science and Engineering with Mechanical Engineering.... [tags: Engineering, Mechanical engineering]
1011 words (2.9 pages)
- ... Depending upon the size and the profile of the component Combinations of these operations are used to produce the final part. Dies & Presses: Die is a tool used to cut or shape sheet metal using a press. Dies are classified based on the size of the component, the transfer procedure of the part, the size of the die and the press. Large sheet metal components, found in automobile industry are commonly produced using single set of die. Double action dies are also used when large mounting area is available, Left hand and right hand doors can be formed in single working stroke using vacuum suction systems.... [tags: material, manufacturing, piercing]
3061 words (8.7 pages)
- If you want to learn how i carry small or big parth, you should read this essay. Conveyörs, today granul and fragmented materials long distances, larger in capacity has found successful in conveying a range of practices. One conveyör have one tension part, one infinite drum and one motor. Actually this is simple discription. There are basically three carrier systems. Firstly band carriers system is very basic because consists of three sections.this system have one drum (Nylons or plastic materials), one motor and tensioning apparatus.... [tags: mechanical engineer, band conveyor]
1197 words (3.4 pages)
- Past, Present, and Future analysis of Mechanical engineering Mechanical engineering is the branch of engineering that deals with physics, and scientific principles to analyze, design, manufacture, and maintain mechanical systems. Mechanical engineering has been in exciting long ago. Mechanical engineers look at challenges to see how mechanical devices to overcome those challenges. They fabricate mechanical devices using analysis and computer-aided method. Mechanical engineers produce machines such as steam generator and engines.... [tags: Engineering, Mechanical engineering, Design]
949 words (2.7 pages)
- Abstract Mechanical engineering is a branch of engineering that deals with the principles to create and construct machines and their parts. Mechanical engineering is one of the oldest disciplines. Mechanical engineering became important after the industrial revolution in the 19th century. Mechanical engineering has continued to improve with new technology making it an important and exciting career path. Mechanical engineers design, create, construct, and maintain a mechanical system. Students who want to enroll in this field should have a strong foundation in Math, Science, and Physics.... [tags: Mechanical engineering, Engineering, Design]
1089 words (3.1 pages)
- Mechanical Engineering Christian Solorzano PID: 5313474 Engineering is the application of science and mathematics to construct innovative designs using natural resources to benefit mankind. Mechanical engineering is a branch of engineering that deals with the design and use of machines. Mechanical engineer’s main objective is to take a product from an idea to the marketplace. In other words, they create and plan the idea on paper, design the idea so it can sell, and then ensure that the machine functions safely and efficiently.... [tags: Mechanical engineering, Engineering, Design]
1402 words (4 pages)
- The Design Argument is quite similar to The Cosmological Argument as it attempts to infer the existence of God, but instead of from the existence of the cosmos it is from a particular aspect or character of the world, namely the presence of order, regularity and purpose. Order, regularity and purpose are seen as marks of design, and the argument concludes that God must be the source of that design. There are various types of Design Arguments, with philosophers giving them different names but the two most well known are The Argument from Design and The Argument to Design.... [tags: Natural Selection Essays]
621 words (1.8 pages)
- Challenges encountered by Mechanical Engineers in the 21st Century My major is Mechanical Engineering. Mechanical Engineering is a field in engineering which deals with the design, development, building and testing of both simple and complex machines and engines, some of which include generators, combustion engines, steam engines and so on. They are professionals who apply the knowledge of math and science to produce useful solutions for the benefit of all. This field is one of the most versatile engineering fields, such that there are numerous areas one can specialize in like “manufacturing or agricultural production, maintenance or technical sales; many become administrators o... [tags: Engineering, Mechanical engineering]
959 words (2.7 pages)