The first was living in Washington D.C. for a month as a Senate page with forty intelligent, eager, unique teenagers. It was a incredible privilege to see our nation’s Senators in action—debating, chatting, being interviewed, representing their constituents—and an honor to meet and watch powerful people and their staffs collaborate to further construct and maintain America’s framework. At first the experience grew my interests in politics, but later I realized the aspects of paging that I loved the most were living in the city of Washington D.C. and meeting many exceptional people from diverse backgrounds. These two interests pointed me to the goal of eventually working for the Department of State. That summer made me realize how much I love discussing issues with people who have unique mindsets stemming from their unique backgrounds and unique interests. It developed within me an eagerness to try new things, branch out, and test the bounds of my comfort zone. The brilliant, outgoing people surrounding me made me want to work harder and to be better. After paging I knew I wanted a job requiring my fullest efforts, engaging many of my interests, and c...
... middle of paper ...
...tend the meeting, listen to me, and participate. After none of these expectations were met, I realized that I would first have to work to meet the expectations and earn the respect of the council in order for them to trust me and want me to lead them.
I have much to learn about leadership, and I want to be taught. The McConnell scholars program provides the perfect environment to gain leadership skills while also gaining a well-rounded education and constructing strong relationships with other scholars focused on building the same character traits.
As I research colleges and complete applications and search for scholarships, I am overwhelmed by the number of degrees, programs, and learning experiences offered, but the McConnell Scholars Program seems to be the best fit for me because of its influence on a trait which I want to develop more and more: leadership.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Discourse communities (DC) are not a new in this world; they began at when society existed in the world. Gee, “a member of the National Academy of Education” proposed a definition of DCs that is a group of people who have similar interests, symbol, acting or beliefs (“James Gee”). The definition of DC is varied, any kinds of group or a few people who have some similar characters could be a DC(Gee). For example, OU is a big DC because most members in OU are going to study; they get the same belief and symbols, the “sooner citizens.” In the OU DC, there could also be some sub-DCs because the students who have some similar interests can be put into different groups, and the OU Society of Chines... [tags: Culture of China, China, Han Chinese]
1610 words (4.6 pages)
- For the parents Future College Scholars Movement will provided individuals with a one day workshop that will focus on educating parents about what they need to know for their child to gain admissions to college. The work shop will also have information regarding how to pay for college and what parents can do to prepare students for their senior year. The workshop will be provided in host cities and will correspond with Future College Scholar Movement parent workshop. For educators Future College Scholars Movement will provided one day workshops, and small group consulting to teachers, counselors and principals.... [tags: High school, Education, College, Learning]
1445 words (4.1 pages)
- The Irish American Scholar Program will significantly enhance my educational goals for school as well as my life experiences. The unique opportunity this program offers coincides with a family value of expanding one’s knowledge beyond the small bubble of the everyday and exploring the world. The value of embracing new opportunities started with my grandfather when he broke away from the norm of his family and expanded his boundaries. His family, traditionally, lived and moved together, but when his family moved to Michigan, my grandfather decided to remain in Arkansas and join the Air Force, allowing him to travel not only in the United States but abroad to England.... [tags: Education Goals]
525 words (1.5 pages)
- Profile Essay Outline Professor McConnell is very inspiring in the way she teaches her class, and handles herself in class very gracefully, and professionally. Professor McConnell always encourages her students to do their very best, and if they have a problem Professor McConnell is always willing to listen. In this writing you are going to learn a little bit more about Professor McConnell. Moreover Professor McConnell is a very kind, and gracious person. She is distinguished in the way that Professor McConnell teaches her students in her class.... [tags: Education, Teacher, Cancer, Future]
756 words (2.2 pages)
- Profile Essay Outline Professor McConnell is very inspiring in the way she teaches her class, and handles herself in class very gracefully, and professionally. Professor McConnell always encourages her students to do their very best, and if they have a problem Professor McConnell is always willing to listen. In this writing we are going to learn a little bit more about Professor McConnell. Moreover Professor McConnell is a very kind, and gracious person. She is distinguished in the way the Professor McConnell treats her students in her class.... [tags: Education, University, Teacher, Cancer]
727 words (2.1 pages)
International Exposure for Scholar Development at the Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars
- I wanted to share my experience that I learnt at the Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars [WWICS], United States of America, in this reflection piece. WWICS is a non-partisan independent research institution that works in bringing scholars and policy makers together to share experiences and knowledge to address the existing regional and international problems including issuing of policy documents. The Center accepted me as one of the Southern Voices Network African Research Scholars based on my project entitled ‘Hybrid Peacebuilding in Somalia: From Security Sector Governance Perspectives’.... [tags: project, somalia, feedback]
520 words (1.5 pages)
- The Distinguished Scholar Program is a strict and difficult program. It encourages students to challenge themselves and reach their full potential. Altering a few rules and parts, such as lowering the required grade point average (GPA) and dropping some of the more rigorous classes, such as Honors Chemistry can truly make it a beneficial and successful program in the regular educational system. Not to mention the great improvement in students test scores and overall take on education. Distinguished Scholars is a curriculum unique to Wilson Classical High School in the Long Beach Unified School District (LBUSD).... [tags: Argumentative Essay]
923 words (2.6 pages)
- The assignment requires that scholars work as a training consultant. The duties for this position are to develop a training program for managers that will facilitate change within an organization. The tasks are to describe the organization for which you are developing the training proposal, identify the organizational characteristics that will influence decisions for how the change initiatives will be planned and implemented, present recommendations for developing effective change and address the need for healthy change facilitation as well as the demands placed on a change facilitator.... [tags: Foster care, Adoption, Child protection]
1105 words (3.2 pages)
- Profile Essay Outline Professor McConnell is inspiring in the way she teaches her class, and handles herself in class very gracefully and professionally. Professor McConnell always encourages her students to do their very best, and if they have a problem Professor McConnell is always willing to listen. In this writing you are going to learn a little bit more about Professor McConnell. Moreover Professor McConnell is a very kind, and gracious person. She is distinguished in the way that Professor McConnell teaches her students in her class.... [tags: Education, Teacher, Cancer, Time]
728 words (2.1 pages)
- Director, thank you for the opportunity to provide recommendations for the facility’s new Resistance Training Program. This is sure to be a great addition to our current walking program and will be an opportunity for the residence to progress even further. There is compelling evidence of these type programs being used and their effectiveness with the population of our residence. (Haggis 2013) Adding this aspect to our current offerings may appeal to other residence who may not be participating in the walking program and keep them from being further inactive.... [tags: walking program, yoga fitness program]
1149 words (3.3 pages)