Over the last seven months I have had the pleasure of working at the Marlborough Public Library. Initially, my typical day consisted of checking items in and out, registering new patrons, placing and organizing requests for interlibrary loan items, and other task overseen by circulation desk. Over my short time there, I have been designated new responsibilities, such as cataloguing the periodical collection, acquisition and budget maintenance for our developing audiobook collection, running and documenting weekly data reports of our most requested hold lists, and becoming the designated reference staff member for a few of our disabled patrons. My time at this library has been incredible, and I now look at the possibilities of public librarianship with new optimism and determination towards the potential for service development and program geared towards the community.
Working at at city library allowed me to understand how my previous experiences largely influence and benefit my entrance into the field of information science. ...
... middle of paper ...
...as by my determination to receive my education through this particular school. A intensive forward-thinking focus on technology, a consciousness of not only people, but their culture and demographics in a increasingly interconnected world is a stance which I would be honored to be a representative. The recognition of the practicality of an online and asynchronous master’s program further solidified my regard for this program. Though I love the energizing and engaging feeling of a physical classroom (and always envisioned acquiring a master 's through such a manner), acquiring my education from this university 's online program may allow me to concurrently pursue professional opportunities and experience without geographic limitation.
Thank you for your time and consideration in the matter of my qualifications and potential as a prospective student for this program.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Throughout my job analysis, I used two online career-searching databases to follow specific library-related positions that were of interest to me. The first database that I used was inalj.com (INALJ). I find this site very accessible. It seems to give a sometimes broad interpretation of library jobs, so it is a great way to find entry-level jobs in different areas that could give you library-related experience without being in a library. Despite its ease of use and broad job types, the site is volunteer driven which can be frustrating.... [tags: Library, Library science, Librarian]
765 words (2.2 pages)
- In order to implement lifelong learning among students, library media teachers also known as teacher librarians should perform information literacy instruction in their school with the collaboration with school teachers in lessons planning. The American Association of School Librarians Standards for the 21st Century Leaner (2007) mentions that school libraries are essential to the development of learning skills. However, are library media teachers capable and competence to perform their roles towards information literacy very well and does all school teachers really realize and understand about the roles of library media teachers.... [tags: Library Science ]
916 words (2.6 pages)
- Libraries and archives in developed countries play very significant roles in advancing information industry to encourage learning throughout their life and contributing to establish healthier and happiness communities. They are no longer passive keepers and preservers of books rather, they have evolved to become facilitators of information and lifelong learning opportunities with an emphasis on service, identifying user needs and communicating solutions. They are offering the access to widely information growth, engaging individual, families and group to learn together, having informal education environment and not only support people to develop skills and knowledge but also lift people’s sp... [tags: Library Science ]
1068 words (3.1 pages)
Bachelor of Science Information System Management vs Bachelor in Information and Communication Technology
- 1. Introduction 1.1. Background Since we live in the information age era, IT has become a part of our everyday lives which gives a great impact on our society. And nowadays, the world has become as “global village” due to advancement of IT. So, while technology is playing a larger role in society overall, such a good solution in enhancing IT skills to young generations is by provide courses or programs about information technology itself in education as it offers new avenues to explore like; academically, socially and recreationally.... [tags: evaluation program]
1965 words (5.6 pages)
- A bibliography, or a list of works, is complied upon a common principle such as authorship, subject, or country of publication (Bopp & Smith, 1991). This assignment will explore a specific bibliography type: library catalogues. Library catalogues are lists of materials held in a library’s collection. Western Libraries catalogue and the University of Toronto Libraries catalogue will be examined in this assignment. The strengths and weakness of each catalogue will be presented and the value of the teen suicide collection will be commented on.... [tags: Library Science ]
1935 words (5.5 pages)
- The institution I chose to profile is REFORMA, the National Association to Promote Library and Information Services to Latinos and the Spanish-Speaking. The organization is an affiliate of the American Library Association. REFORMA was established in 1971 by Arnulfo Trejo. Its work is increasingly relevant because of the growing numbers of Spanish-speaking immigrants and residents in the United States. As REFORMA expanded its activities to meet the needs of this population, it grew to encompass twenty-six chapters nationwide (“Home,” “Who We Are”).... [tags: Business Review]
679 words (1.9 pages)
- Library Professional Associations When an individual makes the decision to pursue a higher degree of education in a desired field of study, he or she may have decided to follow a professional path in the world of libraries and information science. My career goal has been to become the director of the library system that I am currently working. As director, I oversee all library programs, budget, staff, and library operations. I would like to continue as director for the next 3 to 5 years. After reading about the other opportunities in the library world in “So You Want to be a Librarian” by Lauren Pressley, my goals may have changed.... [tags: public libraries, library professionals]
1902 words (5.4 pages)
Library Services And Resources For The Libraries Of Reference, Outreach, And Instruction Over The Past Year
- I have made significant contributions to the library in the areas of reference, outreach, and instruction over the past year. Reference I answered 133 reference questions through the LibAnswers platform and 124 chat queries from UMass and nationwide patrons, in addition to forty-four individual personal reference email questions and reference appointments with faculty, staff, and students. One reference appointment utilized a web conference/screen sharing service for a student in California in an effort to meet the evolving needs of online community members.... [tags: Library, Librarian]
1087 words (3.1 pages)
- How to Use a Virtual Library Nurses need to base their practice on research to ensure that their practice is evidence based, similarly university students need to use research in various ways. Virtual libraries give the user access to information anytime and place giving the user more freedom than a traditional library. Understanding the process of finding appropriate, relevant and reliable research one needs to learn how to use virtual libraries. The process, results and to create a summary are all area of importance when using a virtual library.... [tags: Nursing, Bachelor of Science in Nursing]
1009 words (2.9 pages)
- In order for a school to have an effective Selection Policy, there must be basic components to it. This author will attempt to compare the Selection Policy from Canutillo ISD to the components presented by the American Library Association. The ALA article states “a good policy on the selection of instructional materials will be relevant to your particular system and include basic sections on objectives, responsibility, criteria, procedures for selection, reconsideration of materials, and policies on controversial materials.” (Workbook for Selection Policy Writing, Revised 1999) The Selection Policy from Canutillo ISD contains an objectives component.... [tags: informative essay]
888 words (2.5 pages)