The MS in Telecommunications Program at the University of Maryland offered me a unique opportunity to engage in cross-disciplinary coursework from both the A. James Clark School of Engineering and the Robert H. Smith School of Business at. Courses such as “Strategic Management in Telecommunications”, “Economics of International Telecommunications Policy” and “Decision Support Methods for Telecom Managers” have helped me gain a sound foundation of strategic management and public policies affecting business operations in the telecom industry. However I have become aware that my more engineering background and work experience has not prepared me adequately to deal with the broader strategic questions faced by today’s senior level managers. I am interested in strategy because I feel my strongest skills are in identifying the root causes of problems and developing and implementing lasting solutions to them. My reasons for pursuing an MBA at Smith School are to increase my business knowledge and management skill set, gain credentials and credibility to run my own business in the future and be introduced to a network of potential business partners.
Given my career focus primarily on telecommunications, University of Maryland is, of course, an ideal f...
... middle of paper ...
...would be to create business strategies that would result in low cost telecommunication services.
I am applying to the Smith MBA program at this time because after 3 years of engineering experience, I have come to a crossroads in my career. Though I have relevant work experience, it has not prepared me adequately to deal with the extensive strategic questions faced by senior level managers. My professional motivation for seeking an MBA degree is to supplement my engineering experience and gain high intensity exposure to the strategic business functions which are important to running a successful business. I want to use the knowledge derived from my MS and MBA degrees to become a technically savvy manager who is very business-minded, strategically-driven and acutely in tune with the policy issues that surround the constantly evolving telecommunications industry.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- I am an ambitious young Saudi with a bachelor’s degree in Human Resources Management from King Abdulaziz University, Saudi Arabia. I seek admission to (name of university) to attend the MBA Accounting program as a means to achieve my goals. Such goals are to attain the necessary tools so I may initiate my career as an Accountant at one of Saudi Arabia’s largest corporations and utilize my specialized academic education through my position, while continuing to pursue my professional and personal development for the benefit of both the organization and the attainment of my own professional ambitions.... [tags: School Admission Request]
648 words (1.9 pages)
- I was born into a large family, the eldest among eleven other siblings, and thus I had to become a responsible and mature person at a very early age in life. For while when most boys my age would be engrossed in the world of video games and movies, I was bearing various responsibilities and duties on behalf of my father, who even though tried his very best, needed help and assistance in keeping up with the demands of such a large family. However, such an environment had a positive effect on the molding of my character, as I became an independent and productive individual who had developed multitasking and problem solving skill early in his life.... [tags: School Admission Request]
737 words (2.1 pages)
- I come from the middle of the world, from a country situated at 2850 meters above the sea level. I come from a place between rivers and mountains, with a beautiful sunshine, where there are so many stars you can not count them. I come from a place where the spring is eternal and the moon is so bright. I come from Ecuador, a place of heartfelt splendor, not just for the magnificent Andes, rich flora, and fauna, but also for the passionate people. Growing up in this environment helped me to feel connected with nature; it made me feel life itself and motivated me to go forward admiring all the wonderful creations of God.... [tags: Personal MBA Admissions]
1457 words (4.2 pages)
- MBA Admissions Essays - An Entrepreneurial Passion My love for business is not something I was born with. It took over a decade of experience and exploration to discover my passion. This discovery began ten years ago when I accepted a position at The Pitney Bowes Corporation. My job was to make unsolicited phone calls to prospective businesses in order to sell our base model postage meter. All that was required was reading a script, word for word, to potential buyers. Yet, after a week of working at Pitney Bowes, I still didn't know important details about the meter, like what it looked like, and how it actually operated.... [tags: MBA College Admissions Essays]
764 words (2.2 pages)
- ... Apart from the tuition and admission cost, student has to consider cost of laptops, books supplies and also the boarding expenses. Generally, these costs tend to increase with time, that is cost in year 2 will be higher than Year 1 cost and can leave behind higher amount of debt than expectation. Next is to considering the living expenses: Rent $ 700 per month Groceries $ 200 per month Utilities $ 500 per month Phone $ 100 per month Sundry $100 per month Total cost $1,600 per month Total cost for 2 years $38,400 ($1,600*12*2) Living costs expenses has to be included along with the overall costs determined in the previous section ($206,000).... [tags: cost, education, return]
834 words (2.4 pages)
- Method The required methods to analyze the significance of completing a finance degree included researching the average earnings after the completion of the MBA degree in relation to not taking one. Analyzing the rankings and results of graduates proved the significance of the impact on average salaries and also how many MBA degree owners obtained better sought out employment opportunities. The main website I used to undertake my research study was Forbes. Forbes contains some of the wealthiest CEO’s and presidents and analyses their educational background.... [tags: experience, knowledge, degree]
1409 words (4 pages)
- Why am I Pursuing an MBA degree. I decided to pursue an MBA degree in order to further my managerial career in the company I work for. The question would be: Why do I think it will enhance my management career. The answer to that question requires short background information. I started my career as an entry level programmer in 2000, after receiving my bachelor’s degree in computer science. My career took a turn to management in 2003 when I was offered a team lead’s position with the company I was working for.... [tags: Purpose Statements]
1035 words (3 pages)
- MBA Admissions Essays - Beyond the Curve Having worked in a constantly evolving sector of the economy, I realize the value of an MBA weighs heavily on a program's commitment to staying ahead of the curve. Although the classic lecture format has undeniable value, I believe for an MBA program to truly further my career, it must have something more. My career path has exposed me to many different aspects of the business world and I believe an MBA program should likewise consist of a myriad of course work and experiences.... [tags: MBA College Admissions Essays]
592 words (1.7 pages)
- MBA Admissions Essays - International Business Ever since I was young I have always been interested in businesses and how they operate, as well as being fascinated by other languages and cultural differences. My passion for the subject expanded when I chose business studies and french, as part of my A-level education. Although these subjects are somewhat demanding, I find them extremely interesting. I believe that a degree combining both these aspects is the correct choice for me. I am confident that a course in international business studies and modern languages satisfies both these interests.... [tags: MBA College Admissions Essays]
485 words (1.4 pages)
- MBA Admissions Essay After graduation from KOREA University, I decided to enter Hyndai MotorCompany(HMC), which is the largest Korean car manufacturer and global player, to pursue a career as an international businessman. In January 1991, I joined Domestic Finance Team of HMC. My specific assignment was to plan monthly and annual financial schedules for HMC's domestic funding needs. About two years later, in January of 1993, I was transferred to Retail Finance Team from Domestic Finance Team and responsible for financing by the sales and factoring of Car Receivables.... [tags: MBA Admissions Essay]
997 words (2.8 pages)