Statement of Background & Goals Emory University
Department of Mathematics and Computer Science Degree Objective: Ph.D. in ComputationalMathematics
In the realm of mathematics and applied mathematics, I am especially interested in numerical methods for partial differential equations, fluid dynamics, dynamical systems, scientific computing and Optimization. The magic of mathematics that attracts me most is solving the most sophisticated problems in the real world through different applied methods which are based on the rigorous theoretical analysis.
During my graduate study of applied mathematics at RPI, I have taken and audited numerous advanced courses of mathematics, most of which are highly needed for my research interests. For all of my mathematical courses, I am one of the few students who are not Ph.D. candidates. The concepts in these courses helped me to construct a solid framework of my research interests and the application of the varied theories also encouraged me to learn efficient computer techniques. Because I believe computer is the scratch paper for nowadays mathematicians. Besides the courses of Analysis and PDEs. I have been doing independent research study in Numerical Solutions for Conservation Laws under the supervision of Prof. Banks since last semester and stayed one more month after the final exams for my personal mathematical study. This research study mainly focuses on solving the Riemann Problem of Hyperbolic Equations, developing different numerical methods with specific accuracies for Inviscid Burgers Equation, and discussing the stability of each method by coding the scheme and proving their specific CFL conditions. Some of my personal work involves creating weak solution and rarefaction wave...
... middle of paper ...
...trial, engineering, and science area in the following future and many higher order numerical methods are still waiting to be developed or invented. For me, the most important principle in choosing a university is how it will cultivate my potential research ability. The unique feature of computational mathematics at Emory is that the research is highly related to the computer science, which I believe is a crucial part for computational science. The scientific computation research at Emory will definitely be a decent choice for students who wish to develop advanced numerical algorithms and then be a leading researcher. That’s saying, the department and I have the same academic philosophy.
Last but not least, thanks to RPI and my dear advisor, they taught me a lot and helped me acknowledge who I really want to be. Now, it’s time for me to move on.
Yihao Hu 2016, Troy, NY
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Prior to starting the module I had a few concerns. The only previous experience I had in computer software was studying computer science at degree level. Despite some similarities the majority of the problems I faced were quitter different from the ones I faced in mathematical modelling. At first, the most obvious thing that I revealed was the advantage of working as part of a team. I learned that good teamwork is the key to success in solving problems when there are time and resources constraints.... [tags: Problem solving, Management, Mathematics]
702 words (2 pages)
- Computer Science was a logical culmination of my fascination for computers. Having done four year course in computer science and engineering, I would like to fortify my skills with the help of a master’s degree, which will equip me with the up-to-date tools and knowledge that are the need of the hour. My long term aim of securing a challenging position where I can effectively contribute my skills as software professionals, possessing competent technical skills can be achieved with the help of a master’s degree, that has hands on experience in real time applications accompanied by in-depth knowledge of the subject.... [tags: computer science, education]
584 words (1.7 pages)
- Name: Nabeel Asif Major: Master of Science in Computer Science Working in the field of computer and Information science with the help of technologies like .net, C#, SQL, Artificial intelligence and robotics for last 2 years and having an academic background in engineering propels me to acquire higher academic experience and advanced academic research relevant to the work and interest. Computer Science is a unique field that changes expeditiously and infiltrates every other science. It is permeating each and every other field around.... [tags: Computer science, Mathematics, Problem solving]
707 words (2 pages)
- Yihao Hu Statement of Background & Goals John Hopkins University Department of Applied Mathematics & Statistics Degree Objective: Ph.D. in Applied Mathematics In the realm of mathematics and applied mathematics, I am especially interested in numerical methods for partial differential equations, fluid dynamics, dynamical systems, scientific computing and Optimization. The magic of mathematics that attracts me most is solving the most sophisticated problems in the real world through different applied methods which are based on the rigorous theoretical analysis.... [tags: Mathematics, Applied mathematics]
952 words (2.7 pages)
- Computer Science is a popular major with one of the brightest spots in the employments of current society as the world is becoming more and more advanced. People who graduate with a computer science degree are considered computer scientist; Computer scientists use technologies like computers, smart phones, and basic knowledge and reasoning to solve whatever problems they encounter. Computer Science Engineers write software programs that allow machines to do new things or improve tasks more efficiently; programs like Facebook, Twitter, and mobile messaging software have improved many people’s lives with easier and simpler ways of communication.... [tags: Computer science, Electrical engineering]
1220 words (3.5 pages)
- In four years at the University of Texas at Dallas, I will be graduating with my degree in Computer Science. To achieve this goal, I will take various steps to ensure my success. Some of these steps include taking major specific classes and complete needed coursework in a timely manner. Rather than taking classes that would be easy, I will need to take classes that will further my knowledge in the computer science field. I chose to major in computer science because it incorporates all my academic interests in one field.... [tags: Computer science, Homework, Class]
1993 words (5.7 pages)
- WHY STUDENTS CHOOSE TO STUDY COMPUTER SCIENCE Introduction Computer Science is the study of Computer theory, experimentation, designs and engineering. Studying computer science has always been my dream. From the first time I sat in front of a computer, I have always wanted to know how computer work, how software could make hardware do what it does, I did research and discovered a lot about computer science. With what I found about computer and the opportunities I holds I decided to study it and hopefully make a career or a business out of it .... [tags: Computer science, Mathematics, Charles Babbage]
880 words (2.5 pages)
- As a young child, I always had an interest in computers and how they work. As a kindergartener, my parents gave me their old computer; a large creamed colored monstrosity that was considered old even for its time. Despite this, I was amazed by the device and how it worked. This interest continued with me as I grew older and went through school. Throughout middle school, I learned more about computers and took every chance I could taking computer classes. In high school, I took part in my first computer science class and learn the basics of coding.... [tags: Computer science, Computer, Programming language]
1474 words (4.2 pages)
- Abstract. This paper presents a result of preliminary study conducted to measure Mathematics students' perceptions towards programming, and the activities of programming in general. Sample group were students who were currently pursuing their second year degree in Mathematics with Computer Graphics (MCG) programme, who took Computer Interface Programming (CIP) course during their first semester in their current academic year. The study was conducted after a realisation that the students were reluctant in attempting programming problems in their coursework that caused a large drop in their assessments marks.... [tags: Mathematics ]
2080 words (5.9 pages)
- Identifying Information She contains above average GPA. In which over the past years in regards to females, the average GPA in America is a 3.10 (US News, 2011). Double majoring in two different but similar studies of Mathematics and Computer Science, the extra challenge does not stop her there. With that above average GPA and double majoring, she works within the same department and as well she participates in any extracurricular activities her school has to offer. She is not your everyday lady; she is what her GPA is, above average.... [tags: Theory of cognitive development, Jean Piaget]
1673 words (4.8 pages)