By the time I had finished typing the second sentence of this paper, “If you had asked me that question at the beginning of the semester, then my answer would have been something like…” I had already used mathematics. I’ve been using “if, then statements” in my writing for as long as I can remember, but before now, I never would have never considered them to be connected to math. Now that I am conscious of their logical undertones, however, I have found myself making a concerted effort to ensure that I am using them properly.
It is not only in my own writing that my awareness of math has been heightened. While reading articles for classes, on news websites, or blogs, I find myself paying more attention to the flow of the author’s argument. We’ve learned that in proof writing it is important to be clear, concise, and rigorous and the same applies to an argument within a paper. I’ve come to realize that if an author is trying to convince me of their point, then they also need to show me why their point is true or important. In this way, I’ve become more critical of an author’s argument; rather than just believing everything that they write, I more closely evaluate the progression o...
... middle of paper ...
...re encompassing way, it becomes very clear that everything that we do or encounter in life can be in some way associated with math. Whether it be writing a paper, debating a controversial topic, playing Temple Run, buying Christmas presents, checking final grades on PeopleSoft, packing to go home, or cutting paper snowflakes to decorate the house, many of our daily activities encompass math. What has surprised me the most is that I do not feel that I have been seeking out these relationships between math and other areas of my life, rather the connections just seem more visible to me now that I have a greater appreciation and understanding for the subject. Math is necessary. Math is powerful. Math is important. Math is influential. Math is surprising. Math is found in unexpected places. Math is found in my worldview. Math is everywhere. Math is Beautiful.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Mathematics is found everywhere in life and work and auto racing is no exception. There are many applications of math in racing. The purpose of racing is to win and in order to do that there must be a lot of math involved. If you don’t use math and use it correctly then you will not win. Mathematics is involved in racing in two ways, the car setup and scoring an measurements. The car setup involves tire pressure, down force, wedge, aerodynamic Drag, camber, track bar and valance. The scoring system also uses math.... [tags: mathematics math car racing]
1265 words (3.6 pages)
- Physics is Everywhere Physics is like math; it is always being used everywhere, whether we are conscious of it or not. With the use and knowledge of physics, one can take into account that knowledge to help them perform a deed more successfully and efficient. Although skydiving and weight lifting aren’t the only activities that involve physics, I feel that they are some of the most interesting and benefit seeking activities. Without the knowledge of physics, skydiving wouldn’t be as safe as it is today and weight lifters wouldn’t be able to lift five times their weight.... [tags: Essays Papers]
1856 words (5.3 pages)
- Every semester throngs of incoming freshmen howl out their earsplitting lamentation: “This is so stupid. Why do I have to take algebra classes. I am not going to use any kind of math in my profession!” What these arriving freshmen do not understand is that math is a skill that is used every day in all professions in some form or another. Understanding and being able to function mathematically is a fundamental building block of a well-rounded education. However, disabilities related to math and numbers can hinder students who are affected.... [tags: argumentative essay]
807 words (2.3 pages)
- Math is very important to the world. It used everywhere and every day. It is used in many things people would never expect. People do not know how much math is involved in everything around them. More importantly, they do not know how much geometry is involved. Geometry has evolved in the arts, in navigation, and building and has made the world technologically advanced. Art is very important to the world today. Not only does it tell about the past but also the culture and how the artist felt about the times that they were living in.... [tags: geometry, security, architecture]
616 words (1.8 pages)
- How Will I Use Math in Everyday Life All throughout the days I spent in school sitting in math class learning Algebra, Geometry, and the various other math courses I pondered whether or not I would ever even use these math skills in my life. The sad truth is that you will mostly likely use most of the math skills that you learned throughout high school in everyday life. There are honestly so many different ways you will use math in life like buying a car, your weekly trip to the grocery store, and even at home.... [tags: skills, buying, home, attention]
521 words (1.5 pages)
- Mathematics, the language of the universe, is one of the largest fields of study in the world today. With the roots of the math tree beginning in simple mathematics such as, one digit plus one digit, and one digit minus one digit, the tree of mathematics comes together in the more complex field of algebra to form the true base of calculations as the trunk. As we get higher, branches begin to form creating more specialized forms of numerical comprehension and schools of mathematical thought. Some examples of these are the applications into chemistry, economics and computers.... [tags: essays research papers]
1218 words (3.5 pages)
- Have you ever thought about changing your life completely around in a matter of time. Well in a matter of time you could change your life around with one small mistake in your game or when you lose your wife or have one huge win over a rival or win the lottery. In Jake Reinvented, Jake changed his whole life to try and get the girl of his dreams, Didi. Jake decided to go out for football for the first time, and throw huge parties for the school, dressed up with cooler clothes. In Jake Reinvented, Jake Garrett changed everything about him to make sure he had made a good impression in Didi.... [tags: nerd, math, school]
689 words (2 pages)
- Mathematical Exploration Calculus in Climbing I have decided this mathematical exploration will center around rock climbing. As I read the list of sample topics handed to me by my teacher, I instantly gravitated to rock climbing. It is a topic I have substantial interest in and a sport I routinely participate in. However the crag is a long away from the classroom, does math really have its place in rock climbing. I needed to decide where math applies in the vertical world. The solution to this question is the Spring Loaded Camming Device (SLCD).... [tags: Math, Spiral, Angle]
1272 words (3.6 pages)
- My career goal is to aspire to become one of the top Forensic Scientist in the country, and eventually become an International Baccalaureate Chemistry teacher. I developed my career off of my passion of science and math with the need capitalize on my capabilities and explore the nature of the world and be able to share my knowledge with the younger generation. For each payment, I have received I saved 50% of it towards a college savings bank account, 25% towards personal expenses, such as clothes, movies, sports etc, and the last 25% always goes towards helping helping out my mother with house expenses, though she does not approve but still appreciates and is grateful for, I contribute to he... [tags: chemistry, intellectual, math]
600 words (1.7 pages)
- Between study group, debate, and chess tournaments there wasn’t much of a social scene around Winchester University in Omaha, Nebraska. The school year at this college was year round, but the students were given a 30 day summer vacation in July. The majority of the students went back home to visit their families during this time. But as juniors at the University Charles, Fredrick, and Stanley, all childhood buddies, decided it was time for a change and that they needed a little more spice in their life.... [tags: essays research papers]
1275 words (3.6 pages)