This is not about being nasty or nice – it is entirely about being achievement oriented by focusing on performance and organizational goals. Being achievement oriented, leaders have to recognize that they have to be mindful of and accountable for the choices they make because they are setting the model of what’s appropriate and inappropriate. Words matter, they are as much a form of expression for leaders as they are to poets, singers, and writers. According to Posner and Kouzes(p. 59) to be a leader, you got to awaken to the fact that you don’t have to copy someone else or follow a script and you don’t have to wear someone else’s style. Currently, there are an increasing number of women who are in leadership roles in the workplaces. It is a generally accepted as true that woman are supposed to use feminine ways of doing leadership. However, this is not always true. In some cases, women also use masculine ways of leadership. In this paper, Miranda Priestly illustrates how a female leader breaks traditional gender stereotypes and uses masculine leadership style.
Women, on the other hand, are difficult to classify as a good leaders because in order to be a leader, we often need to sacrifice our femininity. This belief...
... middle of paper ...
...re difficult to classify as a good leaders because in order to be a leader, we often need to sacrifice our femininity. This belief is actually blocking many women from becoming successful leader. Therefore, even though there are increasing numbers of successful female leaders in the world, such as Hilary Clinton, Condoleezza Rice, and Ursula Burns’s female leaders are still a minority.
I feel that being a woman in leadership people expect that you should be submissive and stay in your place wherever that is. By taking on nontraditional leadership styles to be effective is what is needed to succeed then I am willing to learn how to act like a woman and think like a man. I viewed in the movie how I can get a more thorough understanding of how gender relates to leadership in the workplace and how leadership is actually practiced by people in the real business world.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Authoritarian style governments come in different forms and apply varying amounts of violence when enforcing their rule. People who live in democratic style governments often do not understand why people accept living in an authoritarian state, forgetting that in fact the authoritarian form of government is the oldest form of government on earth. A dictatorship government is one type of authoritarian government that gains world attention most notably by the extreme violence used to control their citizens.... [tags: Leadership ]
2327 words (6.6 pages)
- There are times where it is necessary to correct staff but as you know the delivery of that correction can either improve the employee or can dishearten the employee. As you and I have discussed in the past, it is evident that you sometimes struggle with communicating your message to staff in a positive and constructive way. We need to work toward improving your ability to provide positive correction of staff. Over the years, I have come to realize that your method of leadership is autocratic or authoritarian.... [tags: Need, Want, Leadership, Economics terminology]
710 words (2 pages)
- There are a few different types of well known leadership styles, authoritarian, delegative, and democratic. To assess my leadership style I used two online tests to help me determine my style. I felt the results were accurate and I fall into a democratic style/participative style. If I am leading I prefer to include the group and get their feedback on solving issues. However, I still make the final decision after listening to the thoughts of the group on a particular topic. This is considered to be a positive style of leadership that is inspiring to the group involved.... [tags: Health care, Patient, Leadership]
1115 words (3.2 pages)
- Disadvantages of autocratic leadership Yet, there are drawbacks to autocratic leadership style. During his experiments, Lewin also noted the autocratic style to be demoralising at times. In his experiments, which asked a team to perform tasks under specific leadership models, the group under autocratic leadership showed enhanced productivity, yet were joyless and showcased high levels of dependence and frustration. Since the subordinates have no say in decision-making, it can cause resentment within the group.... [tags: Leadership, Management, Decision making]
1651 words (4.7 pages)
- My primary leadership styles are authoritarian and democratic. I had the same score for both type of leadership. These types leadership styles are considered to be moderate range. My least dominant style was laissez faire leadership which is also fits in the moderate range but was the lower score for the range. I don’t argue with some of the results of this questionnaire. I do not perceive myself to be authoritarian leader but rather a democratic leadership. It was difficult to understand why I receive same score for both leadership style.... [tags: Leadership, Laissez-faire, Politics]
903 words (2.6 pages)
- The quality Alex exemplified was Democratic and Authoritarian Leadership. She gave orders and told us what she wanted each of us to do, but also took inputs, but in the end, I believe we gave less inputs and did what she instructed us to do.She told us what to do with the papers, Told us where to put them and how to put it. Handed out the materials such as tape. Told us where he thought we needed to add parts or take some out. Told us where she wanted the tape to be put. Overall I think she was a great leader and showed great command in the huddle.... [tags: Leadership, Laissez-faire, Management]
983 words (2.8 pages)
- Being a good leader means being able to guide people or organizations such as businesses. Being a leader means you have leadership in you, it means you have a set of skills that not everyone can possess and you can apply them to the situation that you are in. Not everyone can be a leader because not everyone can step up and take over a situation or maybe they don’t care enough to do something about it. A leader has to possess the following and more qualities, honesty, communication skills, confidence, commitment, intuition, a positive attitude, and creativity.... [tags: Leadership, Management, Skill]
735 words (2.1 pages)
- In a seminal work, Adorno, Frenkel-Brunswik, Levinson, and Sanford (1950) coined the term authoritarian personality and stated that it was characterised by strong adherence to externally imposed conventional norms, as well as submission or obedience to the authorities that promote those norms. According to Adorno and colleagues, these behaviours are attempts to deal with various personal insecurities. Specifically, authoritar- ian individuals displace their own anxieties onto weak minority groups in their culture (e.g., ethnic and/or religious minorities) or onto people who deviate from social norms (e.g., homosexuals).... [tags: authoritarian, authoritarianism, conservatism]
1404 words (4 pages)
- For this study, we were to examine the organization and individual employees of Runway in The Devil Wears Prada. Andy Sachs, a recent college graduate from Northwestern University, lands a job at a high fashion magazine as the assistant to Miranda Priestly, an arduous boss that expects above and beyond from every individual. An important factor in hiring a new employee is their fit. The recognition of their similarities and differences with those of the organization will help to avoid high turnover and increase effectiveness through a stronger organizational culture.... [tags: Motivation, Leadership, Fashion, Miranda Priestly]
1446 words (4.1 pages)
- What Authoritarian Leadership Is This is a traditional leadership, firm and very strict. These kind of leaders expect to be listened to, obeyed quickly and exactly. They will not put up with argument or questions asked. They are believers in force, and they asked to be treated with a lot of respect. Laissez-faire Leadership This is the complete opposite to Authoritarian Leadership. Laissez- faire is French for ' let them do what they want'. It cant be a leadership if you have no control over anybody, but very occasionally they put their foot down.... [tags: Papers]
590 words (1.7 pages)
- The Center of Gravity During the Falkland Conflict
- Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Ignorance in Ray Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451
- Two Sources on Desegregation and the Little Rock Nine
- Why Vietnam Was Desirable and How the War Began
- Artifacts and Beauty in the Castle of Nagoya in Japan
- Paul Bäumer’s Struggles and Vows in Remarque's "All Quiet on the Western Front"