In this paper I will define marketing in my own words and also research what the definition is using two different sources. While supporting my answers with three examples from the business world, I will show the importance of marketing. Marketing applies to many different areas of an organization and after close review I will make it clear on how it relates.
Marketing is how a company or organization promotes the service or product the company uses to create revenue. After closely reviewing the needs of the public in an area or the market and the product or service is revised to accommodate these needs, a marketing plan would be created and executed.
“Marketing is an organizational function and a set of processes for creating, communicating, and delivering value to customers and for managing customer relationships in ways that benefit the organization and its stakeholders.” (AMA, 2007)
• “American Heritage Dictionary's Definition of Marketing
The commercial functions involved in transferring goods from producer to consumer.2
• Merriam Webster's Marketing Definition
1 b: the process or technique of promoting, selling, and distributing a product or service
2: an aggregate of functions involved in moving goods from producer to consumer 3
• Marketing Definition From MSN Encarta Dictionary
the business activity of presenting products or services to potential customers in such a way as to make them eager to buy. Marketing includes such matters as the pricing and packaging of the product and the creation of demand by advertising and sales campaigns.4
Note the phrasing: "The process", "functions involved", "process or technique", "an aggregate", "the business ...
... middle of paper ...
...packaging has made the difference. I know this plan is working as the scent that I like is always the one that is sold out.
While improving packaging is one part of marketing, more importantly is the process and how it is executed. Making sure the process is executed and the steps have been properly researched will ensure success. If there have been no studies in the current market for what may be needed then trying to sell plasma televisions in a third world country may not be to successful.
I have defined marketing in my own words and also research what the definition is using two different sources. While supporting my answers with three examples from the business world, I have shown the importance of marketing. Marketing applies to many different areas of an organization and after close review I hope to have made it clear on how it relates.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Introduction Marketing is entwined and entangled in our everyday lives. As we become more connected, more informed and more prosperous, we desire and have the capacity to demand more products and services. These products and services are aimed to satisfy our basic needs, and the wants that evolve from them.... [tags: marketing philosophies, consumer, ]
1658 words (4.7 pages)
- Marketing definition Every company depends on an efficient marketing program to fulfill customers' needs. Marketing is a process of finding out what the customer wants and meeting those requirements. Within the company, the marketing group has to consider customer values and customer satisfaction before considering offering a product. Marketing is part of our everyday world, and can be perceived everywhere and every time. At any time, everyone has been exposed to different kinds of marketing or advertising depending upon personal necessities such as T.V commercials, radio, internet, etc.... [tags: Business Marketing]
959 words (2.7 pages)
- Marketing is a term that is used frequently. Generally, it is thought of as how a company advertises and sells their products or services, but upon reading several sources during the research phase of creating this paper, it was found that there are many more elements involved in marketing. Marketing goes way beyond advertising and selling; it is a focal point of a company that drives the direction the company takes. According to Perreault, there are two definitions for marketing.... [tags: Business Marketing]
1603 words (4.6 pages)
- Task 1: Question 1.1: Definition of Marketing: marketing is the thing that every organization needed to spread out the information of the organization to the social area to let the people know about it and create the chance to attract the customer. That is a process of communicating, making the customer interested about the product and service that the organization provide. Definition of promotion: For every organization, promotion is the way to let them attract more and more customers. That means it is a way which include lots of method to help the organization to create customer awareness and to get more profit.... [tags: Marketing, Sales, McDonald's, Advertising]
5387 words (15.4 pages)
- 2.0 Introduction This chapter presents relevant literature to the topic under study. The Literature covers important definitions, relationship marketing benefits to business, the challenges of relationship marketing and performance of banks in the banking industry. 2.1 Marketing Defined It is an undeniable fact that marketing plays an essential role in getting goods and services to the target audience on a daily bases. This is evident with the many adverts, directional offers, television commercial, sales calls, newspaper adverts, internet pitches among others.... [tags: Marketing, Sales, Definition, Customer]
846 words (2.4 pages)
- The War of Words over the Definition of Marketing in the 21st Century The definition of marketing has been a strongly debated topic in the new Millenium. For more than 70 years the American Marketer Association’s (AMA) definition has been the guideline for academics and scholars alike. A number of academics have been unsatisfied with the AMA’s 2004 marketing definition , and it has stirred many debates (Grönroos, 2006, Dann 2008). Christian Grönroos in particular focuses on four elements of the AMA 2004 definition he does not approve of.... [tags: Business Marketing]
805 words (2.3 pages)
- Aspects and Definition of Marketing Marketing includes advertising, selling, and delivering products to people. The market department try to get the attention of target audiences by using slogans, packaging design, celebrity endorsements and general exposure in the media world. Objectives, strategies, and tactics - these are the parts of a solid strategic marketing plan. In order to achieve this the marketing mix must be put into use (the 4 p's): Price Product Place Promotion [IMAGE][IMAGE] Marketing is not about providing products or services it is essentially about providing changing benefits to the changing needs and demands of the customer... [tags: Papers]
973 words (2.8 pages)
- Niche Marketing This is where firms concentrate on selling to a small market, due to these costs can be kept low because of the savings made by specialization. IT is usually used by smaller firms as they can concentrate on establishing a strong image and position in their niche. Also niche markets are usually ignored by larger multinational firms, who are not interested in the low sales volume yielded by a small segment. A good example is Rolls Royce who specializes in the luxury automobile niche.... [tags: Definition Paper Niche Marketing Economics]
1731 words (4.9 pages)
- Introduction Marketing is very important to the success of a business. Before people can buy a product or service they have to know about it. However, marketing entails more than just letting people know what your company has to offer. Throughout this paper, I will define marketing, offering my personal definition as well as more formal definitions from other sources. Furthermore, I will explain to the reader the importance of marketing to organizational success giving real world examples in support of this explanation.... [tags: Definition Essays]
1377 words (3.9 pages)
- What is marketing. Merriam-Webster defines marketing as the act or process of selling or purchasing in a market. (Merriam-Webster, 2007) The American Market Association define marketing as an organizational function and a set of process for creating, communicating and delivering value to customers and for managing customer relationships in ways that benefit the organization. (American Marketing Association, 2006) Why is marketing an important factor in order for a business to be successful. Marketing plays a vital role in the success of an organization as well as in economic growth and development.... [tags: Definition Essays]
1075 words (3.1 pages)