Catalogue entry, price estimate and marketing
Pablo Picasso, Femme Assise (1909), is ‘an extremely rare piece; there has not been a painting of this importance at auction in potentially a generation’ as was commented by Helena Newman on the evening of Impressionist and Modern Art sale. Being sold for £43.2 million ($63.4 million), it became the most expensive Cubist painting ever sold at an auction. This part of the essay will try to evaluate the factors that may have led to such a successful sale price.
The catalogue note may be used as an indication of the importance of a particular art piece not only in the coming auction but also in its particular market. Regarding our particular piece, Femme Assise, it was dedicated a descend amount of space filled with full-side illustrations in the “Evening Sales Catalogue”. The provenance for the particular piece is clean, it shows that it was owned by international art dealers such as Knoelder&Co in New York, Gallerie Pierre in Paris, art collectors and was last sold at an auction in 1973. Suc...
... middle of paper ...
...r for the near future. Most importantly the note states that this piece is not only valuable for the auction, but it is important historically since paintings from this period marked the arrival of Analytical Cubism.
Considering the facts discussed above, it is interesting to know how the price estimate of over £30 million was placed on a piece like that. As it was commented by the Sotheby’s specialist, this piece had a different appeal to the intellectual senses, rather than immediately recognizable “Picassos style”, it is more serious and therefore made the Auction house more cautious in terms of their pricing strategy. Picasso holds the record for being most expensive art work ever sold at an action, and I assume, there was a challenge to determine the price estimate considering the Picasso’s “brand” and the selling price of similar paintings at previous sales.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- How does the economic crisis affect UK art market from 2006 to 2011. Is art market a different area from the economic crisis. My research is aiming to gather and analysis data from two main auction companies in UK, in order to show the art market trend during the changing economic environment in UK. Furthermore, the article will try to demonstrate that art market remains independent from other economic factors, and by consuming fine art works and antiques is a stable way of investment. By collecting secondary data mainly from Sotheby’s, Christi’s of UK auction records, in addition, by undertaking interviews to stuffs from the auction company, first-hand and second-hand information will be... [tags: Economy, UK, Art Market]
1185 words (3.4 pages)
- From all the readings and class discussions about performances, the concepts will be demonstrated by classical and popular performances of music. According to Bourdieu, “Music is the most ‘spiritual’ of the arts of the spirit and a love of music is a guarantee of spirituality” (Bourdieu). Music is considered to be art due to its sound, structure and feeling it gives to individuals. In addition, music has a variety of genres to classical music from Beethoven to pop culture music such as Michael Jackson and Lady Gaga.... [tags: Performance, Music, Art, Concert]
1196 words (3.4 pages)
- Emerging from as far back as the 15th century in Northern Italy, how did pantomime become so traditionally British. Delving deep into the antiquity of theatre, this essay looks into how pantomime has developed and become the form of entertainment it is today. Exploring into the history of art forms in which pantomime took its most highly recognised inspirations. The style of Commedia Dell’Arte will be studied in depth as one of the main influences in the life of pantomime. Victorian pantomime and Music Hall theatre will be briefly investigated also.... [tags: British, Comedy, Theater]
2195 words (6.3 pages)
- INTRODUCTION The modern literature presents management as a science because performance is measured and results are visible. Nevertheless, studying and evaluating the theoretical analysis of Harold Kountz, Henri Fayol, Peter Drucker, Frederick Taylor and many others, it could also be described as an art. Its origination is based on the application of the theory’s principles and values. Theory gives practitioners that context and enables them to take a broader view of their functional work (Timney, 1999).... [tags: Business Management]
2043 words (5.8 pages)
- Two paintings; both are portraits of women wearing pink against a dark background. Each woman is exposed in a private moment of vulnerability, but each painting tells a very different story. Walt Kuhn's Chorus Captain and Thomas Eakins' Portrait of Maud Cook each portray a very different image of womanhood, femininity and beauty. Each of these artists, through the use of photography and nude models and through the promotion of modern art as a marketable product, helped challenge and shift the views of the art world.... [tags: Art]
2168 words (6.2 pages)
- Saturday was a busy market day in Beaufort. Farm folk and fishermen made their way into town usually by road and water to buy groceries and meet their neighbors. Nell made her way through the throng on Front Street, greeting several friends as she bought flour, milk and other staples for the week. Many neighbors congratulated her on the first performance with The Bee Knees at The Inlet Inn. After she finished her shopping, she turned to go back up Front Street to her home, but she stopped in front of Stamper’s Jeweler and China to peek on her bridal china in the storefront window.... [tags: 2007 singles, 2005 singles, 2008 singles]
2041 words (5.8 pages)
- Market Opportunity Analysis Ruonan Tan 0423688 Introduction In our modern society , lots of companies are surrounded by the numerous competition and dealt with many questions , for example , are your products consistent with your customers’ current and future needs. Do you have a flow of new products to meet the information needs of your market. Are the products you’re developing strategically significant. The answer is unkown , because the market opportunity analysis for every product is playing an important role in company ‘s philosophy .... [tags: essays research papers fc]
2514 words (7.2 pages)
- Codes and Standards are associated with the rules and regulations of the art, science, and practice of mechanical engineering. These rules cover a breadth of topics, including pressure technology, elevators / escalators, construction, nuclear plants, engineering design, performance testing, and standardization. Volunteer engineers, scientists, government officials, and others contribute to the rules that protect public safety, while utilizing their technical expertise to reflect the best of their industry.... [tags: Engineering, Professional Engineer, Design]
1298 words (3.7 pages)
- Abstract Painting and design are significant parts of art, although both belong to different categories, they have close relation. In such aspects as creation concept, techniques, painting and design have interaction and serve each other. Not simply refers to a variety of art and modern art genre, it is a reflection of a complex social ideological trend, profoundly affected the western social ideology, but also affect other areas. Modern art provides a rich and more formal language for graphic design, promoted the expression of graphic design and the formation of new style, as well as provides a rich nutrition for modern design.... [tags: Cubism, Collage, Modern art, Georges Braque]
1224 words (3.5 pages)
- I. Global Art Market Overview 1. The Art World and The Art Market For the recent last decades, art market has become very popular with a boom in total sale revenue worldwide. People start to participate and pay attention to the art world more interactively and frequently. For example, art institutions have gained more admissions than ever before; museum visits surged globally and more people are willing to pursue an art-related career. Generally speaking, art world is broader than the art market.... [tags: Art World, Art Market, ]
1593 words (4.6 pages)