Online dating gives people searching for a new union an edge that they didn’t have before. They are able to “shop” for potential connections before their initial contact. According to Droge and Voirol (2011), online dating is here to stay because it allows people to more carefully choose their partner. They are able to filter through the profiles on a dating site and determine which characteristics they like or dislike about someone before they make the decision to communicate with that person. Internet users are more likely to communicate with someone who has similar interests (Hitsch, Hortacsu, & Ariely, 2010). If someone’s favorite kind of music is one that you despise most, you’ll most likely not trigger a conversation with them. You’re able to look at attributes that are important to you and filter out those persons that don’t fit into who you are potentially looking for.
Online dating also gives you more choices for a potential significant other. If you go out to a ...
... middle of paper ...
...Mate preferences in
online dating [Abstract]. Quantitative Marketing and Economics, 8(4). 393-427.
Norcie, G., De Cristofaro, E., & Bellotti, V. (2013). Bootstrapping Trust in Online Dating: Social
Verification of Online Dating Profiles. Retrieved from http://www.arxiv.org/abs
Quiroz, P. (2013). From Finding the Perfect Love Online to Satellite Dating and ‘Loving-the-
One-You’re Near’: A Look at Grindr, Skout, Plenty of Fish, Meet Moi, Zoosk and
Assisted Serendipity. Humanity & Society, 37(2), 181-185.
Valkenburg, P.M. & Peter, J. (2007). Who Visits Online Dating Sites? Exploring Some
Characteristics of Online Daters. Cyberpsychology & Behavior, 10(6), 849-852.
Xia, P., Tu. K, Ribeiro, B., Jiang, H., Wang, X., Chen, C., & Towsley, D. (2014). Who is Dating
Whom Characterizing User Behaviors of a Large Online Dating Site. Retrieved from http://www.arxiv.org/abs
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Have you ever tried to date someone online before. In America, online dating is becoming popular, 66% of online daters have gone on a date with someone who they met online, and 23% of them have actually met their spouses. In “Online Dating Odds Getting Better”, Katherine P. Harvey describes the improvements of online dating services in matchmaking industry. More people are able to find their mate through online dating. Most of the profits made by dating companies come from online and mobile dating services provide a lot of creative services.... [tags: Online dating service, Dating, Dating system]
917 words (2.6 pages)
- There is no way to eliminate internet dangers completely, but there are ways to significantly reduce them. People continuously lie on their online dating profiles to make themselves more attractive to others. With the security feature of background checks this problem would be eliminated. Jeffrey Marsalis was able to present himself online as a fireman, trauma surgeon, and even an astronaut; this would not be possible if all online dating websites provided background checks on his information (Peters).... [tags: Online dating service, Dating, Online identity]
1297 words (3.7 pages)
- Briggs 1 J’Son Briggs Mrs. Suarez English 4 Summer Course July 19 2016 Online dating should not be a source Thesis : Online dating should not be something people resort to, because you can get catfished, the sites don 't even use reasonable ways to find a person’s “ match,” and it can just be too much on the average person who works and is maybe lonely. Some people look at it as a another job, Its work that is not even reasonable. Fake profiles are becoming very big when it comes to online dating.... [tags: Online dating service, EHarmony, Match.com]
995 words (2.8 pages)
- Online dating Introdution Online dating has gained popularity since 1995. After its inception, the service has been increasingly been used by different people. Both the young and the old people use the service in order to find partners. Online dating can be defined as the use of dating services such as websites and other portals in order to get a short-term or a long-term partner for romantic purposes. There are some relationships which have been started through the online dating services and they have been sustained while others have not lasted.... [tags: Online dating service, Dating, Dating system]
864 words (2.5 pages)
- Argumentative Essay Technology has made connecting with people easier and more accessible. Online dating has become a major option for every adult in the United States. Although ease of accessibility can be a blessing, it can also be a hidden disaster. Creating an online dating profile is a lackluster attempt at love. Through a false sense of reality and deception at its finest, online dating has been a controversial topic in today’s modern era. The question then arises is convince worth the price you pay.... [tags: Online dating service, Dating, Dating system]
1361 words (3.9 pages)
- The days of waiting for the special someone to come waltzing into your life have long gone. The internet has given a new outlook to dating. With the availability of free online dating services you could be talking with someone in a matter of minutes. When you date online the amount of people available for you to meet is endless. There are benefits to this form of dating, but there are also many negative aspects to be aware of before venturing out to the world of online dating. Due to the site you are considering being free to join, anyone will have access to joining.... [tags: Online Dating Services. tips, ]
522 words (1.5 pages)
- Dating, the starting point where two individuals look forward to a romance. Romance is the second stage where love begins, which will eventually lead to a marriage. The question is, where can it start. People are often looking for someone to date, but where they begin has many options. Online dating is one of many choices that allow us as people to experience one thing that many desire, a shot at love. As a Aziz Ansari, author of the book Modern Romance, points out, you can meet someone through a friend, or a family member, or even through work or church(pg 81).... [tags: Online dating service, Dating, Dating system]
756 words (2.2 pages)
- Technology has become a huge part of everyday life in today’s society. Everywhere you look someone is using their smart phone, computer, or tablet. Technology has become a primary means of communication for most people. Why would meeting new people and dating be any different. A concept of meeting people without the face to face interaction is something that is more than appealing to a large group of people. While this concept is not new and has been around for years, it has had a dramatic increase over the past few years.... [tags: symbolic interactionism]
1866 words (5.3 pages)
- The new trend of finding love on dating site spread rapidly in the United States of America. Fifteen percent of the American adults use online dating services to find love. Not only from teens to 30 year olds, but also 50 and 60 year olds use it. In addition, rate of middle 50s and early 60s year olds make up 12 percent of online daters. Adults of all ages are looking for love, which is the sweatiest behavior in the world. However, Internet dating has lots of problems. 54% of online daters realized that their partner’s profiles were fake, which makes internet dating service dependable.... [tags: Online dating service, Dating, Dating system]
1399 words (4 pages)
- No true love The new trend of finding love on dating site spread rapidly in the United State of America. 15 percent of the American adults use online dating services to find love. Not only from teens to thirties internet daters use sites, but also fifties and sixties use it. In addition, rate of middle of 50 and early of 60 years old users take 12 percent of online daters. Adults of all ages are looking for love, which is the sweatiest behavior in the world. However, Internet dating has lots of problems.... [tags: Online dating service, Dating, Dating system]
1371 words (3.9 pages)